CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Curious to hear what specific things you did/did not like about the show this weekend.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Let us hear your constructive cristicism and feedback.

Timo

I really enjoyed the small downtime and the interviews that you added in breaks, made waiting a lot easier. Overall it was a great event, nice work! 

• Upvote (+1) 9

This has to be some of the worst predicted team changes I've ever seen. If optic or nv make a team change I'll do a backflip

Get practicing wilder things have happened.  :kappa:

Seriously though, I agree with you and that's what I want. Those predictions were assuming a team change would happen period, even though that likelihood is small. I don't think Nv making a change is that outlandish though. They did get 4-1'd by optic in WB finals and clearly are not the dominant force CLG was when they formed, the same logic goes for optic but they've won before with their roster so it's different. If Nv wants a dynasty, I'm not sure it will last as long as they like with their current roster. 

Another thing to take into account is that if, and I'm saying if, anything major changes with regard to power weapon placement, radar or autos, I predict almost every team will make a change. The meta will be turned on it's head, and despite these settings likely being better, some teams will suffer, and some will benefit.

Curious to hear what specific things you did/did not like about the show this weekend.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

I thought the telestrator was really cool, it gave the casters and analyst the chance to show what kind of play they think could be ran in a certain situation. I think adding that in was very good!

• Upvote (+1) 2

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

Smoothest ran event from ESL so far. I have no complaints. Just remember to provide enough stations for the Open events to accommodate the larger amount of teams so that there are no scheduling issues. Good job once again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Get practicing wilder things have happened.  :kappa:

Seriously though, I agree with you and that's what I want. Those predictions were assuming a team change would happen period, even though that likelihood is small. I don't think Nv making a change is that outlandish though. They did get 4-1'd by optic in WB finals and clearly are not the dominant force CLG was when they formed, the same logic goes for optic but they've won before with their roster so it's different. If Nv wants a dynasty, I'm not sure it will last as long as they like with their current roster. 

Another thing to take into account is that if, and I'm saying if, anything major changes with regard to power weapon placement, radar or autos, I predict almost every team will make a change. The meta will be turned on it's head, and despite these settings likely being better, some teams will suffer, and some will benefit.

Although I agree that if power weapons are changed it might hurt nv given how strong they are at controlling weapons, they're the first team to beat optic since x games and they won 2 bo7 series which is pretty crazy. I still think optic is the best team but nv have proven they can hang and given their results and the fact that they only lost maps to optic I don't think they'll change that.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

Whoever your guys' script writer is should be fired. I mean, we all know the HCS is scripted, but giving the win the nV like that? C'mon, man. #RIGGED :kappa:

For realz:

This is probably my favorite event you guys put on. The casting was great. The Telestrator was great. The down time was minimal. Even when there were technical difficulties, the audience being told an estimated time until it was fixed was great, as well. All the media packages definitely helped with the down time. I don't know if you guys collect this sort of data, but if the downtime to this event was similar to the amount at other events, it certainly did not seem that way. I think the media packages and well thought out analysis helped immensely with that. Plus, this event seemed like it had a lot more of a personal touch to it, the banter and pie throwing between casters was great. You guys did a fantastic job capturing and broadcasting in an accessible manner high level gameplay that brings us all together here...

As someone said 50 or so pages back, "343 and ESL get 50 times better after Che leaves. Coincidence? Na."

Thanks for the great event!

Edit: I did think it was strange that nV was able to stay Red Team in the Grand Finals even though Optic had beaten them in the WBF. I understand the reward from Pro-League concept, it just seems kinda goofy to me. But, I am a pleb, so there's that. Thanks, again!

• Upvote (+1) 4

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

F it I'll go and do each one.

Telestrator:

Great addition. Very good job using it. The Truth map overview image should be changed to a better one, Elamite didn't even think it was Truth at first. Other than that, give the castors some time to get used to it. Elamite got a little tangled up a few times using it, but that will improve with experience. Everybody did a great job and everytime he lost himself he recovered well. Very good addition and will only improve with time.

Analysts:

Great job. Just overall very well done. Not much more to add.

Casters:

Again a great job.

Stage look:

Hard to say without being there but it looked great on stream.

Interviews:

Again a great job. I know I keep saying it but everything was so well run I got on Halo 5 for the first time in months. Obviously everything can be improved but this was the first event I watched I felt I could relax and not look for the next fuckup.

FFA:

Didn't watch this unfortunately.

Schedule:

Much improved from previous events. Very smooth transition from one map to another and one match to another.

Downtime:

Same as above.

Raffle:

Idk what this is.

Social Media Coverage:

Great.

Other?

Remove radar, autos, fuel rod, plasma caster (out of your control but it would help). The stream was incredibly smooth and I actually relaxed as a Halo fan and watched the matches without worry. The announcements were done at appropriate times, the transitions were smooth, the interviews were great, the analysts did well, etc. I know you're looking for feedback on where to improve, but I think it's important to reflect on how great of a job was done this weekend, and work to continue that level of quality. Reflection would show a multitude of improvements to the production, schedule, interviews, analysts, gameplay, viewership, etc. I have honestly only good things to say. Really the only thing I can say that was negative was the bug for Frosty, the map overview image for Truth, and pro players spraying eachother down with smgs in a game 7 while crouching. That's it. Pat yourselves on the back anybody that was involved, because this was the first event I've been proud of in a LONG LONG time. Like I said I used to play Halo for hours everyday and compete with my brother. We both without hesitation got on after the event for the first time since the start of HCS season 1. Can't say enough to how well the event was run. Remove Autos, Remove Radar, Remove Plasma Caster, Remove Fuel Rod, Add Grenade Launcher, Add good arena forge maps. 2017 is looking up :D

:intensifies:  :weback:

edit: I also wanted to mention that your overview post a few pages back about how you can't always communicate everything, but you are always receiving the feedback and the community is listened to was so spot on. Even a tweet or post here or there that says "Can't speak to anything specific, but we hear you and are working on improving" would go a long way. It's a non-answer but shows that you are listening. When you talk to someone in a conversation you have so many queues that show whether that person is listening or not, online we have none of that. On the flip side I have no complaints I see you and simms in here, on twitter, etc. all the time posting. You're level of social interaction with the community is something that really makes me happy to see. Glad you are both involved.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Great event, I am looking forward to seeing how the league progresses next year. Hopefuly there are better settings. 

@@Timo I think it's been barked about in every other eSport, but you shouldn't have teams that lose a series start their next one right away. In this format you should start WB finals and then do losers bracket so each team gets a break after they lose.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Replacing plasma caster with the grenade launcher will improve the game so much. I still think SPKNRs should be the default rocket but I know people disagree with me. Remove splinter nades entirely or severely nerf their damage so they cant kill a full shields player. CSGO has mollies as a zoning tool but you can run through them with full health and you won't die their job isn't to kill someone it's to hurt them and deter pushes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

From what I was able to watch, everything looked great. 

Now, if every open event hosted in 2017 (by other operators) can live up to this level of competence and production, we will be in good shape. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

What a great event, Timo. Blew my expectations away. Thank you very much. 

Had to go to work at the start of the grand finals but I listened to bits of it here and there when I could but couldn't watch any of it unfortunately (and missed the last game entirely rip). Couldn't ask for a better finals than a bo14 though. Congrats to NV, didn't think they'd pull it off (or at least not this soon). Can't wait for worlds.

edit: @@Timo great event

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

It'd be sick if the bracket was posted with the !bracket command or if it was a button below the stream. Some people can't watch the stream and they'd rather monitor the bracket to get quick updates on who won/lost. Good job on everything else though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

Firstly, thank you so much for even asking. 

As for the stuff you mentioned, most of it was very good/improved from events past. As I state before I thought this was the best event (from a gameplay and event run perspective) since 343 had taken over Halo. If I had to nitpick things I personally think would make it perfect I would prefer:

-More Simms whenever possible. I know it's impossible for the guy to always be on camera but when he is it's usually magic.

-I loved the scripted interviews during the downtime, being able to cut dead air definitely helped the pros seem less awkward.

-I think they use it in DOTA (not 100% sure) but usually there's always a running clock to next game, even if it's going to be 10-15 minutes. It gives the viewer a better read than having the 3 minute countdown, but that's until the analysts talk, then another 5 minute countdown. I'd love to know (almost) exactly how much time until the next series begins. 

Other than those very minor things you guys did a hell out a job this weekend. I know there's a lot of people who make these events great but please thank each and everyone of them from all of us who love competitive Halo.

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

The only negative I had with the event was that the team that's won winners final did not play red team in the grand finals. I know nV were higher seed, but that was online and shouldn't matter at the LAN other that's who you play initially.

With the 2 best of 7's in grand final, both teams stay same colour and usually results in most of the same game types. I don't know how to change this though

With the 2 best of 7's in grand final, both teams stay same colour and usually results in most of the same game types. I don't know how to change this though

If results are consistent with which color the team is, it's not the tournament formats that need to change, it's the map balancing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Timo

It was a big step up in every direction. That kind of a show where everything clicks and you don't even think about production details, just enjoying the show.

Looked like some guys from EU Esl went over to help a little bit :). Super sick stage (player portraits), analyst desk (what an upgrade from that kids table), and overaly really supersmooth. Caster desk didn't have that level though. Telestrator will be great addition once casters learn work with it more intuively. Would welcome more clean, simpler versions of map schematics. Like those H2A loading screens.

Loved the interviews (both prerecorded and live), short downtimes. Casters good, T2 and Elumite have great chemistry. Would love @Goldenboy thrown into the mix again.

AND please, PLEASE, bring back Ghostayame. Guy is so smart, funny, knowledgeable and has a talent to fit any caster/analyst combo.

Again stellar job. Best Halo 5 event so far. Hope you will keep this level (and go even further) in 2017 and onwards

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought the interviews with Strongside were a great addition, people have criticised his casting previously but I thought he did a good job this weekend and added a little fun at times.

• Upvote (+1) 7

- Telestrator

- Analysts

- Casters

- Stage look

- Interviews

- FFA

- Schedule

- Downtime

- Raffle

- Social Media coverage

- Other?

Timo

Better map images for the telestrator, I think @@Infinity said to me that they were images from the beta in some cases.

Also, less Strongside casting. He is MUCH better at analysis. It isn't fun to watch him lose his train of through multiple times throughout a match and even more times across a series.

I love the guy and I want him to do well and I personally think keeping him away from the casting is the best way for that.

• Upvote (+1) 7