CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

What if the hcs was played on PCs with controllers wired in, true LAN, and 1080/60?

What's stopping us from doing that?

Is it really needed for HCS? 

The HCS uses the closed servers which for the most part work fine. The only people this would benefit (if Halo 5: Forge supported LAN) would be non-HCS events. 

Halo 5's resolution will hardly be dropping during Arena 4v4 games, so that shouldn't be an issue and even if it did, I doubt we'd notice it. Plus the frame rate will be 60 99% of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Hmmm, so if someone placed top 16 in Halo 2, they are a "pro" player in Halo 5, perfect! Sign me up

Lmao, noooo. Not quite :p

Edit: @@Moa there would be a benefit for not having to use Internet, no? No delays for that just in case there's ever an issue. Also it's quite an ugly game sometimes on stream. No Jaggies and 1080p would be a lot crisper. More pleasing to the eye for me at least.

Controllers are only 1/6th cost of a console tho. They speak $$$.

MS might not even make money on XB1

revenue and profit are two different things

i'm pretty sure the 360 didn't turn a profit

controllers probably have a good profit margin on them, also factor in planned obsolescence

• Upvote (+1) 4

Lmao, noooo. Not quite :p

Edit: @@Moa there would be a benefit for not having to use Internet, no? No delays for that just in case there's ever an issue. Also it's quite an ugly game sometimes on stream. No Jaggies and 1080p would be a lot crisper. More pleasing to the eye for me at least.

Assuming it supports LAN, right? 

I'd absolutely disagree about it being an ugly game on stream. If anything, that's the stream quality settings. This entire discussion is based on the idea that it has LAN support but it looks like it is literally the console version running on PC, with M+K and 4K support based on the footage released today. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

controllers probably have a good profit margin on them, also factor in planned obsolescence

Very very true. If there was any way in the world to see how many ppl bought an xb1 just for the Halo franchise, that would be cool. That being said, more consoles = more Live, Controllers, headsets, kinects, games, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Assuming it supports LAN, right?

I'd absolutely disagree about it being an ugly game on stream. If anything, that's the stream quality settings. This entire discussion is based on the idea that it has LAN support but it looks like it is literally the console version running on PC, with M+K and 4K support.

It's not the stream quality settings. It's a very blurry, and rigid looking game. I'm not saying it's ugly as hell or it ruins my experience but it can't hurt in any capacity.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but I'm always in favor of not using the Xbox One as much as posible when it comes to something like a live tournament. I know we've been lucky for a bit now, but, can't hurt to be on the safe side.

i feel like halo doesnt sell consoles anymore, except for some diehard halo fans. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

4. A PC to run competitive FPS games at over 100 FPS can probably be built for like $500 or cheaper

I would love to see that parts list.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's not the stream quality settings. It's a very blurry, and rigid looking game. I'm not saying it's ugly as hell or it ruins my experience but it can't hurt in any capacity.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but I'm always in favor of not using the Xbox One as much as posible when it comes to something like a live tournament. I know we've been lucky for a bit now, but, can't hurt to be on the safe side.

Gotcha. 

So the benefits in your eyes would be it looking a little better on stream (presumably players are running at 4K during the event or just 1080p) and possibly LAN support?

Gotcha.

So the benefits in your eyes would be it looking a little better on stream (presumably players are running at 4K during the event or just 1080p) and possibly LAN support?

Yeah, but like you said, I'm just assuming.

Who knows if it even supports LAN. I doubt it, you'd think its something built into the code that lacks it.

I would love to see that parts list.

I've noticed a lot of times PC builds that are posted as $500 or $750 or $1k or whatever won't include some of the things that a new PC player like myself would need. For example, I've been planning on building a PC for a while, and am looking around the $1k range. When I first started looking, I saw a lot of really awesome builds for like $800 and I got really excited, thinking to myself "Oh, this isn't actually that expensive." 

Then I realized that cool $800 build didn't have a monitor, didn't have a m+k, didn't have etc. etc. and that $800 price tag could easily go up to $1k+

Not saying that's what is happening here, but I've definitely seen it happen a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only reason I bought an XB1 was for MCC because I was a diehard fan.

Then I just wanted to die... hard.

But hey, we got ODST and Relic for free! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've noticed a lot of times PC builds that are posted as $500 or $750 or $1k or whatever won't include some of the things that a new PC player like myself would need. For example, I've been planning on building a PC for a while, and am looking around the $1k range. When I first started looking, I saw a lot of really awesome builds for like $800 and I got really excited, thinking to myself "Oh, this isn't actually that expensive." 

Then I realized that cool $800 build didn't have a monitor, didn't have a m+k, didn't have etc. etc. and that $800 price tag could easily go up to $1k+

Not saying that's what is happening here, but I've definitely seen it happen a lot.

i have a 1.2k computer and use a 12 dollar mouse and an 8 dollar keyboard (asus 60hz 2ms monitor was like 150 a few years ago)

(i'm a fps god btw)

peripherals don't have to be expensive, not at all

If you look at Halo 5 as an example, even eight months post-launch we were introducing new modes. We saw our monthly average users for Halo grow month over month, three months in a row, into the eighth month post-launch

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-s-windows-10-and-fifa-microsoft-s-battle-for-europe/0171691

:intel: ?

• Upvote (+1) 3

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jamaican117/saved/7y7D4D

Everything but a M+K. Has monitor, Windows 10, etc for $835 and can run most anything at 1080 60fps and would be a great video editing rig. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

To add to the console vs. PC discussion from a personal viewpoint. If Halo became a PC title as well, especially if it was played on PC in the competitive scene, I would be done with Xbox and switch back to Playstation. I've always said if i weren't for Halo I'd never buy another Microsoft console after the problem with the 360 and now One.

Allegiance vs Enigma6

Something came up and ALG can't play tonight. RIP this scrim.  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is it really needed for HCS? 

The HCS uses the closed servers which for the most part work fine. The only people this would benefit (if Halo 5: Forge supported LAN) would be non-HCS events. 

Halo 5's resolution will hardly be dropping during Arena 4v4 games, so that shouldn't be an issue and even if it did, I doubt we'd notice it. Plus the frame rate will be 60 99% of the time.

It's probably easier for the TO to use PCs with LAN capabilities than for 343 to create and send out people to maintain the dev kits.

Hmmm, so if someone placed top 16 in Halo 2, they are a "pro" player in Halo 5, perfect! Sign me up

Prototype has a green tag.

I have the best PC of all my friends, all of whom are PC elitists.

Yet I still prefer playing Xbox over PC for multiplayer.

Single player, I'll play PC any day. But multiplayer with friends is more fun on Xbox for me personally. I have no interest in Halo on PC as there are superior games on that platform, and I'd rather watch them if I'm watching a PC Game.

I'm weird, I know.

• Upvote (+1) 2