CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Did they announce anything for HWC this year? Out of the loop lol.

1 mil, 7 na teams, 3 eu, 1 anz, 1 lat

open lans to qualify in most cases

1 mil, 7 na teams, 3 eu, 1 anz, 1 lat

open lans to qualify in most cases

Exceptions being

7th NA

3rd EU

Only ANZ

Which are all online, if I read it correctly.

Did they announce anything for HWC this year? Out of the loop lol.

Something something TIPGC something? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does he need to play? 

Until Worlds settings are released, it's a bit pointless.

Even when he needed to the only time he got on was for scrims or an online tourney. I don't even see any Halo stuff in his stream info anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have some questions about NA qualification. My understanding so far;

2 Open LAN events;

• St Louis - 1/20 thru 1/22
  • Las Vegas - 3/3 thru 3/5

Open to any team.

Top 8 from Open feed into Championship Bracket (current HCS Pro Teams).

Top 3 from each event automatically qualify for HWC.

So is it correct that after St Louis at the end of January, 3 teams will already be qualified for the HWC and therefore have no reason to participate in any online qualifiers or the Las Vegas Open LAN?

And if that is the case, if a team that places top 3 at St Louis actually wants to compete at Vegas to get a piece of the $50k prize pool, are they allowed? And how would that effect the other teams trying to qualify?

I feel like I'm misinterpreting this or something. Hopefully someone can clarify for me.

If not then I'd imagine teams like Optic and nV might qualify and sit around for months until HWC. I'd also imagine most top teams won't bother at all with the online qualifiers. Feels like I might see the top teams compete once, maybe twice, in the next 3 months.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have some questions about NA qualification. My understanding so far;

2 Open LAN events;

• St Louis - 1/20 thru 1/22
  • Las Vegas - 3/3 thru 3/5

Open to any team.

Top 8 from Open feed into Championship Bracket (current HCS Pro Teams).

Top 3 from each event automatically qualify for HWC.

So is it correct that after St Louis at the end of January, 3 teams will already be qualified for the HWC and therefore have no reason to participate in any online qualifiers or the Las Vegas Open LAN?

And if that is the case, if a team that places top 3 at St Louis actually wants to compete at Vegas to get a piece of the $50k prize pool, are they allowed? And how would that effect the other teams trying to qualify?

I feel like I'm misinterpreting this or something. Hopefully someone can clarify for me.

If not then I'd imagine teams like Optic and nV might qualify and sit around for months until HWC. I'd also imagine most top teams won't bother at all with the online qualifiers. Feels like I might see the top teams compete once, maybe twice, in the next 3 months.

I would imagine that they can participate and if, let's say, the top 3 from STL place T3 at Vegas then it would go down to 4-6. I could be way off but it would realistically be the highest placing teams that get the invite.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would imagine that they can participate and if, let's say, the top 3 from STL place T3 at Vegas then it would go down to 4-6. I could be way off but it would realistically be the highest placing teams that get the invite.

Yes, that would make sense. But it does raise the question, can they attend and/or is it mandatory. Because depending on if teams have to participate or not it could lead to drastically different results. Halo 5 has been VERY match-up based lately. Certain teams just seem to have other teams numbers. 

The 8 pro teams will be at both of the open LANs.

How do you know this? Inside info?

One of the reasons I'm asking is after this last season and teams not being required to attend LAN events and the comments made by multiple Pro players (and the backlash from fans here), I'd hope they did something to address the issue.

How do you know this? Inside info?

Common sense. HCS has never barred a team from a money event because they had already qualified for whatever. They just move the qualification placing lower. I assume a 50k prize pool is enough to entice the pro teams to go, so I'm sure we'll see them at both events. (unless rostermania ruins everything)

• Downvote (-1) 1

Exceptions being

7th NA

3rd EU

Only ANZ

Which are all online, if I read it correctly.

ANZ being online only is a bad idea for oh so many reasons.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Imagine a team getting a good bracket not playing the top 3 teams but some teams get eliminated from contention because they play the top 3 teams instead of other contenders :D

• Upvote (+1) 9

Common sense. HCS has never barred a team from a money event because they had already qualified for whatever. They just move the qualification placing lower. I assume a 50k prize pool is enough to entice the pro teams to go, so I'm sure we'll see them at both events.

Ok, so we don't really know.

I don't expect them to bare a team from going. And I would expect 50k should get teams to show up even if they don't have to. But I am still concerned about the formatting for this stuff moving forward. For one, teams that have qualified are effecting teams trying to qualify, which raises a lot of questions IMO. And, if LAN events aren't mandatory for all teams or not attending would have repercussions to their chances to win the big event, then we will see the same mistakes made as this past season. It should be addressed. 

Imagine a team getting a good bracket not playing the top 3 teams but some teams get eliminated from contention because they play the top 3 teams instead of other contenders :D

Yep, that same thought crossed my mind. Not sure how I feel about this format at this point...

Most likely that but you do run the risk of having that trickle down to 5/6 at a tourney And without consolation it becomes tricky who gets it

Ok, so we don't really know.

I don't expect them to bare a team from going. And I would expect 50k should get teams to show up even if they don't have to. But I am still concerned about the formatting for this stuff moving forward. For one, teams that have qualified are effecting teams trying to qualify, which raises a lot of questions IMO. And, if LAN events aren't mandatory for all teams or not attending would have repercussions to their chances to win the big event, then we will see the same mistakes made as this past season. It should be addressed.

This quote:

In North America there will be two Open LAN tournaments that will each send the Top 3 teams directly to the Halo World Championship 2017 Finals. The tournaments will be open for any teams that think they have what it takes, and the Top 8 will move on to the Championship bracket, where the North American HCS Pro League teams will await

Suggests both LANs will be formatted with the idea that all pro teams are in attendance.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Also if what I heard was accurate, I believe StrongSide said they will be opening up crowdfunding for multiple events throughout the year. We could see UGC go up to say $75K which would be sweet. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This quote:

Suggests both LANs will be formatted with the idea that all pro teams are in attendance.

Not to nitpick, but it just says pro teams, not all or how many.

But I believe you are probably right. That the rule book will come out and say that all Pro Teams MUST attend these events.

And at that point the discussion then goes to the effect already qualified teams are going to have on teams/brackets for those trying to qualify and potential problems that may create.

Also, I'm expecting the online qualifiers won't be required attendance...which is good I guess, but again means we see top teams play twice most likely.

Is it confirmed that the crowd funding is just for other tournaments and the HWC prize pool is staying at a million? I am hoping that is the case because I think its a great idea. Better to have multiple large tournaments throughout the year instead of just one. imo.

Is it confirmed that the crowd funding is just for other tournaments and the HWC prize pool is staying at a million? I am hoping that is the case because I think its a great idea. Better to have multiple large tournaments throughout the year instead of just one. imo.

im more curious if money already accumulated will add to the prizes or if thats where these base prizes came from

MLG is not a messiah that would make Halo have 256 teams like in the old days.

Willing to bet on that?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Willing to bet on that?

Who wouldnt? If you want a large attendence/participation, you need to have a game that many peope enjoy playing, h5 isnt it.
  • Upvote (+1) 2