CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

One of the original games requiring "Sound whoring" as well. I never played it before meeting my buddy Chance who was a pro player for Evil Geniuses when they had a team. It's crazy to see the meta Halo brought over from games like Quake and Unreal. Halo wouldn't be what it became without them.

well essentially halo is an arena shooter mixed in with a military esque shooter like counter strike. hence the name combat evolved. wolfenstein 3d was the og tho!

arena shooters were more movement based imo. slower games where your movement is restricted like rainbow six and call of duty its all about your gun

It's appalling that its come to this but I literally do not have an ounce of trust left in this guy after what he pulled. And I'm still waiting on an apology and an explanation.

ppl make mistakes and grow from them - he's never done anything as catastrophic in the past and hasnt again so why banish him after one major blunder? see if he can make a positive out of such a huge negative. look at gears, they turned it around

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

A slightly random question but does anyone know what the parking is like at ESL studio 1 in Leicester?  Going to be driving down to family tonight then driving to the venue Sunday morning, just wondered if i should investigate other parking options?

@@TheSimms, @@Wonderboy @@Onset or anyone else who has been there.

A slightly random question but does anyone know what the parking is like at ESL studio 1 in Leicester?  Going to be driving down to family tonight then driving to the venue Sunday morning, just wondered if i should investigate other parking options?

@@TheSimms, @@Wonderboy @@Onset or anyone else who has been there.

Parking is on street but its very very limited. As its a Sunday you should be fine but if not you may have to park down another street 1/2 minute walk away.

• Upvote (+1) 3

ppl make mistakes and grow from them - he's never done anything as catastrophic in the past and hasnt again so why banish him after one major blunder? see if he can make a positive out of such a huge negative. look at gears, they turned it around

He hasn't made one again because Halo Wars 2 hasn't released yet, hence why I said it'd need to work 100% on launch day for him to redeem himself in my eyes.

I get what you're saying, and if MCC had been given away free of charge to all Xbox members I'd say sure, it didn't work but at least it was free, better luck next time. But it wasn't. It cost $60 at launch and the thing could barely load the menu screen without throwing a fit and crashing.

I consider myself fairly lucky - for some reason, maybe even divine intervention at this point as there seems to be no pattern, MCC works well enough for me. I posted yesterday, even, that I'd uninstalled Halo 5 because it was inferior even to MCC. But that still doesn't make up for the fact that this guy went on stage in 2014 and sold Halo fans a dream product that they MUST have known at that point was beyond broken.

I don't even care if they fix it, it works well enough now to have more fun playing it than Halo 5 and I understand that studio resources have probably been diverted to Halo 6 and Halo Wars 2. That's fine. But no apology? No explanation? And they still want Halo fans to trust them and invest in their product? Hell no.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Random but do you guys still play anymore? I stopped for the part a couple months back when my friends did. I hop on now to just to make sure our FFA gametype hasn't reset (happens from time to time). Was curious, while this game is technically better competitively than Halo 4, I just have no drive to play it at all. Just something about it never truly felt "Halo" to me when playing. It's a great sci-fi space shooter though.

Welcome to me 9 months ago. Beat you all to the punch.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Parking is on street but its very very limited. As its a Sunday you should be fine but if not you may have to park down another street 1/2 minute walk away.

Thanks man, Sooooo hyped for Sunday! 

l0HFiOtai3t3xIoLK.gif

i had a really long angry post written but whats the point all i'll say is wow this community makes me sad sometimes. :/

on the topic of playing, i still play almost everyday and that's with a kid and 1 more kid coming next month :)

(i also watch any pro stream and some non pro streams i can as well as every event regardless of country and my shitty Australian timezone)

Holy shit you're a Port fan. Never would've noticed before.

First of all i just want to say we are in complete agreement about progression based unlocks, but there is a substantial amount of research pointing to the addictive nature of randomised content unlocks. Its effectively a form of loss-free gambling (unless you pay with real money of course) with a pay element. This along with said research is probably the main driving force behind this kind of unlock system.

I would love it if they went back to progression based unlocks but i cant see microtransactions going anywhere in the near future. Hopefully they can make things into more of a mixture as a compromise but i wont hold my breath.

The kicker is Black Ops 3 did both. Some skins in Supply Drops, but heaps in progression. Halo 5 should have done it that way.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The kicker is Black Ops 3 did both. Some skins in Supply Drops, but heaps in progression. Halo 5 should have done it that way.

Agreed.  Hopefully this is something they do for H6.

Do you know which system CS uses?  I was under the impression it was random unlocks but I haven't played it enough to find out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If I ever found myself in front of a stage that dan ayoub happened to be standing on, I would absolutely start an 'mcc' chant

I had this exact same thought earlier this morning. It felt good.

• Upvote (+1) 2

First of all i just want to say we are in complete agreement about progression based unlocks, but there is a substantial amount of research pointing to the addictive nature of randomised content unlocks.  Its effectively a form of loss-free gambling (unless you pay with real money of course) with a pay element.  This along with said research is probably the main driving force behind this kind of unlock system.

I would love it if they went back to progression based unlocks but i cant see microtransactions going anywhere in the near future.  Hopefully they can make things into more of a mixture as a compromise but i wont hold my breath.

We should have both.  They tried it with Achilles and went WAAAAYYYY overboard.  We should also have the option to just buy individual skin packs for $2 or whatever that we know what the contents will be.  Some you can buy, some you get randomly, and some you can only earn by hitting certain milestones.  It's not even like they have to build the systems to make this work, they already have them, they just need to utilize them.

Agreed.  Hopefully this is something they do for H6.

I am tired of seeing this for anything other than what would require a grand technical re-write.  Not calling you out specifically because i see this "hopefully for halo 6" sentiment everywhere, you're just the most recent example i could quote :)

For things like better handling of skins, reqs, progression, game settings that I can change in 30 seconds, delayed playlists, solo queue options, weapon balance and ease of use fixes, I dont think anybody should be saying "hopefully for halo 6".  There are 2 years left in the lifecycle of this game.  You want me to spend $60 on Halo 6 and another $20 on reqs? Keep improving the game for the duration.  If you're able to increase the sales of the next game by 250k by showing some hussle and continued support you'll make another 15 million on the next release, plus whatever reqs you sell, etc etc.

Random but do you guys still play anymore? I stopped for the part a couple months back when my friends did. I hop on now to just to make sure our FFA gametype hasn't reset (happens from time to time). Was curious, while this game is technically better competitively than Halo 4, I just have no drive to play it at all. Just something about it never truly felt "Halo" to me when playing. It's a great sci-fi space shooter though.

To revisit this (wasnt around much yesterday) i am not playing this nearly as much as i was.  For the first 9 or 10 months after release, I played Halo 5 almost exclusively. Despite settings issues that should have been fixed i was still having more fun playing than not.  The lag and left fireteam glitches were getting worse, but still not happening enough to get me banned.  However,  Since then Gears 4 came out (3rd person but aiming is still smooth), the Destiny collection went on sale and MWR came out so I have been playing those and whenever I come back to halo I realize just how shitty the aiming is.  Like, i knew it wasn't crisp but thought the overall sentiment of it being bad was a little overblown when it was the only game i was playing, but I was definitely just used to it and forgot what real aiming felt like.  

After playing games with much more fluid aiming that you can switch between indiscriminately, then going to Halo, i was constantly thinking, "ok that is not wtf my thumbs just did..."  The other day i played Destiny, no problem.  Then played a few games of SnD in WMR, no adjustment required, then hopped on Halo 5 to end the night and wanted to punch my tv.  I couldn't hit shit, played maybe 3 or 4 games and didn't improve. Felt good at some points, shitty at other points and eventually i just went to bed.

It should not be required that Halo be the only game you are playing in order to be able to do a simple thing like aim.  I know this particular topic has been beaten to death, but my god it can't be overstated.

• Upvote (+1) 5

haha yeah i am :D

Well I'm an essendon supporter so I don't have much to say about last season. Best luck for next year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

bdtm_remnant_thumb-22601f7037ff4e00abfbe

"That map just works so well for eSports, and our pro team and pro players are so excited playing on that map."

Honestly the only cool part of Relic is that it had a Covenant sniper tower from the campaign (the only multiplayer map ever to have one). So, 343 being 343, they got rid of it.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

To revisit this (wasnt around much yesterday) i am not playing this nearly as much as i was.  For the first 9 or 10 months after release, I played Halo 5 almost exclusively. Despite settings issues that should have been fixed i was still having more fun playing than not.  The lag and left fireteam glitches were getting worse, but still not happening enough to get me banned.  However,  Since then Gears 4 came out (3rd person but aiming is still smooth), the Destiny collection went on sale and MWR came out so I have been playing those and whenever I come back to halo I realize just how shitty the aiming is.  Like, i knew it wasn't crisp but thought the overall sentiment of it being bad was a little overblown when it was the only game i was playing, but I was definitely just used to it and forgot what real aiming felt like.  

After playing games with much more fluid aiming that you can switch between indiscriminately, then going to Halo, i was constantly thinking, "ok that is not wtf my thumbs just did..."  The other day i played Destiny, no problem.  Then played a few games of SnD in WMR, no adjustment required, then hopped on Halo 5 to end the night and wanted to punch my tv.  I couldn't hit shit, played maybe 3 or 4 games and didn't improve. Felt good at some points, shitty at other points and eventually i just went to bed.

It should not be required that Halo be the only game you are playing in order to be able to do a simple thing like aim.  I know this particular topic has been beaten to death, but my god it can't be overstated.

Yeah, pretty much. Even Halo 4 had good aiming. Why in the world did they do something so esoteric for Halo 5?! Playing Halo 5 became a hassle because the aiming mechanisms were so different from the other shooters. I can easily go between Titanfall, Destiny and Rainbow Six, but Halo 5 - nah. 

It wasn't worth playing anymore. I got my Onyx in FFA (personal goal) and just bounced. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

"That map just works so well for eSports, and our pro team and pro players are so excited playing on that map."

Lol...Remnant...the most frame dropping map in the history of Halo. I remember that every time I hijacked a Ghost on Remnant the kicked out driver started to hoover, like a levitating Buddha or something:

http://i.imgur.com/gneueaQ.gifv

• Upvote (+1) 2

bdtm_remnant_thumb-22601f7037ff4e00abfbe

As with so many others, this decision is one that perfectly encapsulates 343s seemingly random and non sensical choices.

"Our competetive game currently only has 3 maps, we are going to remaster another map for the game, we have a chance to greatly improve the HCS, any suggestions? Ivory Tower? Midship? Beaver Creek?"

"How about Relic?"

"PROMOTION!"

• Upvote (+1) 5