CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Dang. I was hoping people would be more excited about this. Just the other day, I was thinking about how a TV show like the USA Network could really change Halo's esports fortune. I think that if done right, that show could bring in WAY more viewers for HCS. The USA Network show was what got me interested in competitive halo, and i don't know if I would have been hooked as easily if I had just watched an event stream. I understand people are apprehensive because the game is broken (and by all means, if the game is still broken by the time this show starts, let's burn it to the ground), but I'm hopeful that changes are coming, and certainly they now have a lot of incentive to fix the game. Right now, it's kind of daunting for new viewers to come into Halo. There's not really an easy way to understand what's going on if you don't play the game, there's no team investment, and there's no player investment. We need something for Halo that's like the Vision for Optic. I also feel like this could mean a lot for org involvement if it takes off at all. If anyone working on this show in any capacity sees this, the show NEEDS to do these things to work:

-The game needs to be fixed, and the settings need to be more tailored towards what the pros want. It will be obvious if a player is struggling to make their way through an event because they aren't having fun.

-Cover events, and cover the progression of the bracket, but only show the entirety of important matches

-Do extended player interviews. BEYOND their thoughts on how to play halo. I loved seeing the other sides of players' lives

-Build the narrative of the teams as a whole. A common complaint I see from people who don't watch HCS is that they don't want to get too invested in it, because it's hard to root for teams when the players are constantly changing and they have a hard time keeping up with changes

-Fill the show with "How-To's" and tips and tricks from the pros

-Matches need to have cutaways where they explain rotations, pushes, flag runs, or setups, with an overhead map showing player positions and statuses

-Please don't focus on Cratos because he's good reality fodder

Just my thoughts. I'm excited, but also worried that it will go wrong. If it's done right, it could be huge for us. I am always showing my friends HCS, and I'm able to hook some of them, but ultimately a one hour TV show would be infinitely more digestible for newbs than an 8 hour stream.

• Upvote (+1) 6

To those of you worried about actual gameplay, I doubt we'll really get any of that. I imagine it'll be team drama and other scene shenanigans like Cratos relegating Stellur etc.

this worries me more tbh. i dont want this to be a cash grab type thing but to actually highlight the league and grow the comp scene

A TV show is nice and all, but this isn't a priority for Halo 5 at the moment. If interest in Halo 5 esports was increasing and the game issues were fixed then I would be more hyped because we could actually ride the momentum. We currently have zero momentum due the lackluster tournaments and in-game issues and settings.

To those of you worried about actual gameplay, I doubt we'll really get any of that. I imagine it'll be team drama and other scene shenanigans like Cratos relegating Stellur etc.

I guess that's how they'll have their cake and eat it too. "Fix spectator mode?? What do you mean? We're not going to show any gameplay!"

What if this is 343/ESL's cheap, efficient way to get the league played on LAN? Seems like a good idea if that's the case.

Game does need to be fixed before anything.

Would be dope but it's a long shot.

Would be dope but it's a long shot.

How the hell do they do reality TV without everyone together in some sort of way?
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Nonstop yelling about missed shots and screaminv, a lot of 'bro', hopped up on energy drinks, lights off and curtains closed, up at night. They could make it well done though. Get the team behind the Sprints to film. Maybe have it be in a team house, follow the players around. Increase their profile, what they do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How the hell do they do reality TV without everyone together in some sort of way?

nV, OpTic or EG houses maybe? I know not everyone lives in them full time or just stops by. That's all I can think of besides obvious lans you mentioned.

Is this the first time you guys heard about this?

Well that's the thing, is this replacing the HCS? Is it a gimmicky "reality TV show" or is it just standard high-quality eSports like Turner's ELEAGUE? Hopefully we hear more about this sooner rather than later.

nV, OpTic or EG houses maybe? I know not everyone lives in them full time or just stops by. That's all I can think of besides obvious lans you mentioned.

Is this the first time you guys heard about this?

Yep, no idea it was happening. I hope it's not some bunim/murray shit thats gonna make everyone look like tools.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

Get the team behind the Sprints to film.

I believe the main guy behind The Sprint left 343, I could be wrong.

This is really cool and all, but why are they blasting money on a reality TV show for a game that they refuse to fix and that no one plays anymore? This kind of thing should be saved for Halo 6.

I'm frustrated because I worry that when it performs poorly, 343 will blame it on there not being enough interest in Halo esports, when it'd be moreso due to Halo 5's pathetic state (which is the result of 343s poor decisions and refusal to patch their game). A TV show is a great growth opportunity for Halo esports but it's just wasted on 2017 Halo 5.

That being said, I can't wait to watch!

HMMMMMM

Y tho. They want to make a reality show yet the game doesn't even work and personally I don't think that Halo 5 or even Halo overall warrants a reality show. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's like being happy for having an awesome bread machine when the house is falling apart.

Let's fix the game (yea yea coming soon) and format /hcs before we go deep into this IMO. I'm the biggest Halo eSports fan there is and this season made be stop watching.

lol seriously.  In the last 6 weeks your cynicism and halo-depression has spiraled down to a deep deep dark place.

and nobody can blame you.

• Upvote (+1) 4

i think this shows a lot of faith in their 2017 program and their ability to fix the game

i'm no 343 shill but i'd have to believe they are smart enough not to broadcast a broken game to mass audiences 

kinda defeats the whole purpose 

In all fairness, one would think they'd be smart enough to have decent servers ans settings, as well as a game that has gotten progressively worse as time goes on.

3BCQ1qF.png

We need to start hitting the VH1 / MTV Reality Shows.

Jersey Shore.. 

Flavor of Love.

I love New York..

Big Brother.. (dont think its VH1 or MTV though) 

We need to start hitting the VH1 / MTV Reality Shows.

Jersey Shore.. 

Flavor of Love.

I love New York..

Big Brother.. (dont think its VH1 or MTV though) 

toddlers and tiaras

making the band

or maybe the biggest loser starring cratos