CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Yeah, man. If you simplify the fuck out of CS:GO, and itemize every tiny element of Escalation (you missed some, btw), you can definitely pretend it's more intuitive and "readable." "There's a money system" is an acceptable description, but you think "first to 7, best of 3" is something people are going to have trouble grasping? What? CS also has a half time that functions VERY similarly to Escalation, but let's not mention that. What about those CS overtime rules, as opposed to a one round tie-breaker in Escalation? Knife round? Pistol round? The list continues. Frankly, I think you lack the perspective because you're used to CS. Not to mention the fact that MOBAs, the most popular eSports by far right now, are even more obtuse to newcomers.

​I do agree that the big-ass black rectangle at the bottom of the spectator screen is less than ideal, however. The game score at the top was part of MLG's overlay.

We're going to have to disagree. You sit someone completely unused to shooters or even games down, which game are they going to understand first out of the three I listed?

The terrorists go plant the bomb and the counter-terrorists defuse it. It's very simple at it's core and very graspable. How do you go wrong with the money system; it rises and you spend it, sometimes you have to save if you done fucked up - it's money.

I thought the hills did something jazzy on that Escalation mode, maybe if the spawn points or bombsites in CSGO moved about during the game you'd have an argument there.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'll never understand 343 logic...they have the fix for Ghost Melees already figured out but for some reason they're not going to release until the next content update which could be MONTHS AWAY.

You would think someone there would be like maybe it would be prudent to release it immediately since you know the season finals are coming up in a week.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

You said it was perfect, it is not perfect. You try explaining the concept to people who are new to the scene it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

• Overwatch - "KOTH, single hill, first to 100, first to 3" OR "Unlock and push the cart, best time wins or sudden death"
  • CSGO - "Terrorists / Counter-terrorists, 2 bombsites to plant the bomb in time, first to 16 playing both sides, there's a money system"
  • GOW4 - "3 hills giving points, 210 point limit, 3 cap potential, first to 7, best of 3, spawning with spawns increasing, weapon placements, half time"

Yes I understood what was going on but if you're looking for perfection, especially as something that is broadcasting, it should be intuitive and easily readable coming in at any point in the match. For instance I had absolutely no idea the spawn times were increasing (which is a massive part of the game mode I would imagine) until the casters said it and even then I don't know when they change or by how much each time or what happens at half time.

As far as the hud is concerned from a spectator point of view it was all over the place and very cramped taking up a lot of space because of the bottom bar. I don't know if it was the MLG graphics or part of the game hud but the top of the screen was dominated by a single piece of information, that current game score between the two teams. Really you'd want to take the hill information and push it in there as well to make it less cluttered (see Overwatch). The bottom bar again from a broadcasting point of view was a problem that I guarantee MLG had to work around - why is it so big and why can't you turn it off if you've got a proficient spectator.

The large black bar on the hud is due to the GoW4 observer tools. They're removing it in a future patch.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The large black bar on the hud is due to the GoW4 observer tools. They're removing it in a future patch.

Can you get them to fix our reticles please?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Good to hear.

i just want to get an FFA game, i literally search for 10+ mins on expanded and get nothing. its like theres only 6 players and i have to wait for one to leave lol

i just want to get an FFA game, i literally search for 10+ mins on expanded and get nothing. its like theres only 6 players and i have to wait for one to leave lol

I've played FFA to get ranked, but I've never WANTED to play an FFA game in Halo 5. Props to you for that lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does the content update have a set date?

I don't think we have ever gotten a set date on an update. Besides H5F they would usually have a stream the week before and say "sometime next week." 

Why are we arguing about how GoW / CS competitive modes are played in a Halo thread while  Stasis CTF is still in the HCS rotation?  :walshy:

Adapt

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just wanted to make one point that I feel people are overlooking ... comparing H5 tournament numbers ~13 months after release with Gears tournament numbers for their first major tourney (second tourney overall) doesn't really tell us much.  Show me Gears viewer counts in December 2017 and that might mean something.  H2A and H5 had big numbers at the beginning of their lifecycles as well ... 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait, gaming companies can improve their spectator modes? :apg:

Definitely shouldn't be taking as long as it has. We saw Observer mode all the way back at the start of HWC in March and have only seen it/ gotten any form of talk about it at LAN events since. 

Hopefully its soon... Ske7ch said next update but who knows. 

Game breaking issues should be prioritized? Okay, FIX THE AIMING. The game can be as great as it wants, if the most fundamental aspect of an FPS game sucks it's gonna ruin the entire thing. No one prefers this aiming system over past games. It's trash.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I've played FFA to get ranked, but I've never WANTED to play an FFA game in Halo 5. Props to you for that lol

haha i enjoy it, i just cant get any games ever

Why are we arguing about how GoW / CS competitive modes are played in a Halo thread while  Stasis CTF is still in the HCS rotation?  :walshy:

Why hasn't ESL/343 come out and removed stasis from rotation so teams can stop wasting a veto?

I don't understand the need to always wait for stuff like this.  Simple, quick, nobody is going to argue. you don't need to bundle content releases, bug fixes, and rule changes into one big package.  When a bug is fixed, fix it.  When content is done, release it.

and yeah i know agile development blah blah, bundling fixes in builds is (on paper) less risky than releasing fixes piecemeal whatever whatever, but after this amount of time idgaf

• Upvote (+1) 3

We can have the best settings we've ever had, but if we don't fix blatant issues like servers and ghost melees, it directly conflicts with the competitive integrity of the game. I'm all for testing new settings; I just want servers to be fixed FIRST.

Also I have zero idea on how they decide to roll out updates, but if they have found the cause for ghost melees, I would like them to just update the game ASAP rather than waiting for the next content update. 

Finally, anyone else super excited to watch Finals? I cannot wait to play.  

Yeah, but the excitement is mitigated because teams that are fun on LAN won't be there. 

• Upvote (+1) 1