CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Removed the stuff that was just clarification (Thanks by the way, does seem like miscommunication).

Left the stuff that I 10000000% agree with. 

Thanks.  Yeah that's my bad. Should have included clarification in my OP (editing now).

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Vetoed seems to do more work than anyone to try to save Halo 5.  Just off the top of my head he puts together well compiled feedback, edits maps in forge and explains why his changes would improve gameplay, hosts custom games to test different settings (minor changes as well as things like evolved settings) and puts out a large amount of high quality content.  Really hope 343 starts listening to him or at the very least acknowledge the work he does for the Halo community.

This list is a great compilation of small and large issues that need to be addressed for the sustainability of H5.

I think he's wasting his time since 343 doesn't care and will always do their own thing. 

Does the content update have a set date?

Soon :kappa:

Edit: serious why should a gamebreaking bug fix be tied to a content update? It should be released immediately after testing.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I find it interesting that even the "casuals" identifies the problem of party restrictions, the majority of post are talking about it. Even though we asked for it since day 1.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Our Major was the highest viewed major by FAR (PCU and hours consumed...we hit 1,400,000 on a Tuesday group match) and Xgames is still hailed as one of the best events ever. The CSGO community loved our events, in fact I would venture to say they are up there as gold standard examples by the CSGO community

Edit: Also gold standard applies to the 10,000 fans who attended, we had almost zero complaints and the ones we did field were around CSGO Pins being scarce.

I loved your Major Adam, I bought the Twitch Subscription that weekend. I've watched them all and yours was unarguably top 5 (ESL Katowice top1 for me). However, it is undeniable that ESL has done far more for CSGO than anyone else (Dreamhack has a case too but the scale isn't quite there), they're raised the bar time and time again pushing CSGO to where it peaked.

How come every time someone criticizes ESL, you drop this same exact post?

Why does "how much they do" matter?  Why can't we compare expected production value of CS to our expected production value for Halo? Failure in management is failure in management. 

Edit:  You either do a good job, regardless of budget and size, or you dont. If ESL can't pull off proper events and meet expectations for the largest competitive shooter out there, how are we supposed to expect them to make Halo a priority?  The criticism is fair because its not an isolated incident.

Because when people talk about Counter-Strike I know about Counter-Strike. If you want to talk shit about ESL in Halo then fine go ahead. However it's very obvious that people don't follow the scene and just cherry pick little snippets to have a dig. I mean, to be completely honest you're not even getting to the meat of what people from CSGO don't / haven't like about ESL.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Don't usually gas my own tweets, but everyone's opinion on this would be appreciated

Great rant, nice to hear another pros honest opinions on the matter in long format rather than 140 or less characters...or the classic series of tweets lol. I'm all for MLG running some events, or even the seasonal stuff as well. 343 doesn't seem to be able to handle the workload of everything, even Riot as big as they are has trouble keeping up with all of it. If MLG handles Halo for a few months or a year and it grows in leaps and bounds, cool we saved Halo (again?) and if it doesn't work out everyone can quiet down and realize Halo may be where it should be after all, at least until 343 decides to go full tilt with Halo like a Microsoft game deserves imo. (epic tournament circuit or LCS type local LANs not online stuff) 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does the content update have a set date?

Nope. Hopefully we'll learn more in the CU this friday.

Whats the chances the next update fixes ghost melees but breaks 20 other things?

Also it seems ever since they put out a patch to get details on what is causing the lagouts the lagout rate has increased.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Whats the chances the next update fixes ghost melees but breaks 20 other things?

Also it seems ever since they put out a patch to get details on what is causing the lagouts the lagout rate has increased.

It's like when you get the flu shot and you get sick a week later. They probably slightly increased whatever they thought was causing lag outs just to confirm it and hopefully it will be fixed with the next update

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean at least they finally acknowledged that ghost melees were a thing, right?

Huh? I don't understand why any of those things are confusing. Any win condition is 'arbitrary'. 210 is no less arbitrary than 200. If i had to guess, they chose 210 because it's a multiple of 3.

You score 210 or get a trip cap you win the round.

Each map is a best of 13 rounds. Each series is a best of 3 maps.

These are extremely basic concepts, that anyone who watches halo should be able to understand.

Spawn timer increases, and weapons placements add a nice element of strategy to the proceedings.

Edit: what more would you want from the hud? You've got the score, health, the kill feed, and the status of each hill.

You said it was perfect, it is not perfect. You try explaining the concept to people who are new to the scene it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

• Overwatch - "KOTH, single hill, first to 100, first to 3" OR "Unlock and push the cart, best time wins or sudden death"
  • CSGO - "Terrorists / Counter-terrorists, 2 bombsites to plant the bomb in time, first to 16 playing both sides, there's a money system"
  • GOW4 - "3 hills giving points, 210 point limit, 3 cap potential, first to 7, best of 3, spawning with spawns increasing, weapon placements, half time"

Yes I understood what was going on but if you're looking for perfection, especially as something that is broadcasting, it should be intuitive and easily readable coming in at any point in the match. For instance I had absolutely no idea the spawn times were increasing (which is a massive part of the game mode I would imagine) until the casters said it and even then I don't know when they change or by how much each time or what happens at half time.

As far as the hud is concerned from a spectator point of view it was all over the place and very cramped taking up a lot of space because of the bottom bar. I don't know if it was the MLG graphics or part of the game hud but the top of the screen was dominated by a single piece of information, that current game score between the two teams. Really you'd want to take the hill information and push it in there as well to make it less cluttered (see Overwatch). The bottom bar again from a broadcasting point of view was a problem that I guarantee MLG had to work around - why is it so big and why can't you turn it off if you've got a proficient spectator.

• Downvote (-1) 4

If anyone hasn't already seen, @@Deez is in the settings thread again. Let's take advantage of the opportunity and give our feedback. It would be awesome if we could keep this going.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You said it was perfect, it is not perfect. You try explaining the concept to people who are new to the scene it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

• Overwatch - "KOTH, single hill, first to 100, first to 3" OR "Unlock and push the cart, best time wins or sudden death"
  • CSGO - "Terrorists / Counter-terrorists, 2 bombsites to plant the bomb in time, first to 16 playing both sides, there's a money system"
  • GOW4 - "3 hills giving points, 210 point limit, 3 cap potention, first to 7, best of 3, spawning with spawns increasing, weapon placements, half time"

Yes I understood what was going on but if you're looking for perfection, especially as something that is broadcasting, it should be intuitive and easily readable coming in at any point in the match. For instance I had absolutely no idea the spawn times were increasing (which is a massive part of the game mode I would imagine) until the casters said it and even then I don't know when they change or by how much each time or what happens at half time.

As far as the hud is concerned from a spectator point of view it was all over the place and very cramped taking up a lot of space because of the bottom bar. I don't know if it was the MLG graphics or part of the game hud but the top of the screen was dominated by a single piece of information, that current game score between the two teams. Really you'd want to take the hill information and push it in there as well to make it less cluttered (see Overwatch). The bottom bar again from a broadcasting point of view was a problem that I guarantee MLG had to work around - why is it so big and why can't you turn it off if you're got a proficient spectator.

From somebody who used to play Gears casually and competitively (I teamed with Fallout very briefly *one of the main MLG broadcasters for Gears and ex pro player*), I genuinely think Gears is one of the least forgiving Esports titles for newcomers and spectators, short of games like League and DotA which comes with the territory of items/individualized skills per champion. 

Just a note: When I say competitively and who I teamed with...We were best friends in High School, and LAN'd practically every day. I wasnt good, and I'm confident he'd tell you I was regularly carried...but I had a deeper feel for competitive Gears then just the surface of the game...and we beat MbN and the Nsanez in Gamebattles, so I have that going for me...which is nice. 

EDIT: While I think its unforgiving I also think its an incredibly fun game, and definitely an awesome Esports title. The community is ride or die, and I have big hopes for Gears on the professional circuit. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

From somebody who used to play Gears casually and competitively (I teamed with Fallout very briefly *one of the main MLG broadcasters for Gears and ex pro player*), I genuinely think Gears is one of the least forgiving Esports titles for newcomers and spectators, short of games like League and DotA which comes with the territory of items/individualized skills per champion.

Just a note: When I say competitively and who I teamed with...We were best friends in High School, and LAN'd practically every day. I wasnt good, and I'm confident he'd tell you I was regularly carried...but I had a deeper feel for competitive Gears then just the surface of the game...and we beat MbN and the Nsanez in Gamebattles, so I have that going for me...which is nice.

EDIT: While I think its unforgiving I also think its an incredibly fun game, and definitely an awesome Esports title. The community is ride or die, and I have big hopes for Gears on the professional circuit.

The 3d person view and the camera shaking kills it for me. I don't understand what is going on.

Sure I hear you but I don't subscribe to the quantity over quality argument as a basis for judging who is a better operator.

That being said, no one should be 'shitting' on operators in my opinion unless the event is HCS Vegas.

FTFY

• Upvote (+1) 4

• GOW4 - "3 hills giving points, 210 point limit, 3 cap potential, first to 7, best of 3, spawning with spawns increasing, weapon placements, half time"

Yeah, man. If you simplify the fuck out of CS:GO, and itemize every tiny element of Escalation (you missed some, btw), you can definitely pretend it's more intuitive and "readable." "There's a money system" is an acceptable description, but you think "first to 7, best of 3" is something people are going to have trouble grasping? What? CS also has a half time that functions VERY similarly to Escalation, but let's not mention that. What about those CS overtime rules, as opposed to a one round tie-breaker in Escalation? Knife round? Pistol round? The list continues. Frankly, I think you lack the perspective because you're used to CS. Not to mention the fact that MOBAs, the most popular eSports by far right now, are even more obtuse to newcomers.

​I do agree that the big-ass black rectangle at the bottom of the spectator screen is less than ideal, however. The game score at the top was part of MLG's overlay.

• Upvote (+1) 5