CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Look, I get all the servers, ghost melee, bug type deal - these things spring up as games continue to exist past release

I even understand wanting to push a certain agenda on settings

But having a broken spectator mode? No LAN functionality?

Remind me how we are supposed to take H5 as an esport seriously?

Halo 5 has this massive advantage of being familiar to most viewers. I am also insistent that its speed of play and general mechanics make it SUPER easy to watch and consume for someone who doesn't even play the game.

Take Gears for example: I know how much skill is involved in a shotgun battle but it's not as consumable as watching a pistol/BR battle to an average viewer. Except when you don't even know who is winning thanks to cursors lagging behind.

You're right. People can't take it seriously when 343 doesn't even take it seriously. Their treatment of competitive Halo shows us that the only reason the HCS exists is because Microsoft wants to have a stake in the latest gaming industry buzzword, "esports". Otherwise, spectator mode would work like every other game's does.

We need to band together for changes, viewership will follow after that in my opinion.

Eh, as long as 343 doesn't give a fuck about competitive Halo, I'm not doing crap. Tired of trying to do their work for them. Microsoft is paying them big bucks to do this, not us.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If i don't see significant change in halo by next season i'm stepping away. 

Honestly i wish brav and all of those guys would just come out and say "we hear all of you and everything from no radar to weapon balance is going to be tested internally".

i just get so upset. i give them the benefit of the doubt so much by telling myself "ryan you dont know anything about computer programming its probably really hard and they are working hard to fix things" but then i look at gears and h1z1 and cod all of which get nerfs when guns are too strong, and aiming issues resolved in 1-2 months. 

0 zero interaction with the community on the side of 343. 

how does gears get 16 skins before we get liquid skins? 

why did vetoed have to give inspiration for a skin, and that skin not come out until 6 months after he posted.

why does the ranking system reward the player that plays the most not the best? 

give us some actual population numbers so we can help the community grow in areas where it is needed. 

we had 100k at worlds, i bet by the time the next worlds rolls around we get less than 50k.

I already gave up on the Pro League I'm not watching another HCS online league until the servers and spectator are fixed, I watched every match of Summer and Fall seasons and I'm just tired of seeing spectator not work at all and seeing all the Pros struggle to even make lobbies and then just get disconnected for whatever reason.

EDIT: Just imagine all the stories that would have happened if we had a LAN circuit, EG and ALG would have surprised everyone if they had more LAN playtime.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Eh, as long as 343 doesn't give a fuck about competitive Halo

Do you legitimately think they don't care? I'll agree that what they're doing, or in most cases not doing, is unacceptable, but really?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Do you legitimately think they don't care? I'll agree that what they're doing, or in most cases not doing, is unacceptable, but really?

I can safely say they care about making money from competitive Halo, but not actually growing it. Halo 5 is lacking in so many features that are ubiquitous in all other esport titles.

I mean when you have people like Quinn responding to nearly every bit of criticism literally right up til now with sarcasm, or people like Che that dont give a fuck who wins or loses, i can buy it.

I think certain people do, certain people don't. But i guess the real important thing isnt their motive or personal feelings, but the tangible result of what they do. And what they do kind of demonstrates a lack of care.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think people just want to seem some kind of passion from them. After seeing what Jack has done with Gears, it mops the floor of what we have seen.

People want to love Halo eSports, I know I've lost the urge and dedication to watch because of how the HCS has been ran in the last year, and it sucks to have those feelings :(

All I want is the level of communication @ gives from the ESL and 343 guys involved with the HCS. I just want to know: why, when, what, and where instead of constantly having to guess, look at periscopes, or find text message leaks.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

We need to band together for changes, viewership will follow after that in my opinion.

lol this community has been saying "we need to band together for changes" for god knows how long now. but nobody seems to want to do the things that actually get attention and make noise. it's hilariously easy for 343 to just sign out of their teambeyond accounts and never return and have everything still appear as though it's fine to the rest of the halo community. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

The Halo community REALLY needs to band together for the NA Summer Finals. Hopefully the HCS community, OpTic supporters and help from casuals on /r/halo can work to get the viewers over 30k!! We need to show that Halo 5 can still pull viewers even 13 months after release!

OK, I get that you want to see Halo in a better place and I sympathize, but why exactly should we care to see Halo 5 succeed given what we've gotten so far? I care about Halo. I struggle to give any fucks about Halo 5. Why do we need to show that this game that has gotten mediocre at best support for 13 months can still pull viewers? I would rather see 343/ESL put in the effort to EARN that, because all they've earned in my estimation is continually declining viewership.

​P.S. That GoW4 event was beautiful.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Eh, as long as 343 doesn't give a fuck about competitive Halo, I'm not doing crap. Tired of trying to do their work for them. Microsoft is paying them big bucks to do this, not us.

as someone who feels the exact opposite way you do i totally understand why you feel the way you do

halo is my sport, period, and it's hurting, i'm going to do every thing i can to help grow my sport

i'd support halo regardless of what shape it is in, i'll never give up, i might branch into other things but halo will always be my #1

but i can totally understand why people feel hopeless atm, the state of h5 is fucked, as evidenced by so many 343 people leaving

i have zero reason for saying this but i think 2017 is going to be very different

(assuming they can fix the game, pls for god sakes, if these coders can't fix this shit we are in deep trouble)

edit: quoted the wrong post lul

• Upvote (+1) 7

Lately all @@CyReN posts about is Westworld and Gears of War 4.

I've figured it out -- Ray is actually short for Ramin Djawadi - the composer for both the Westworld HBO TV Series and Gears of War 4's soundtrack.

The jig is up.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I didn't watch half of pro league this season so I'm already losing my interest in this game.... which never happened for any other games except H4.

Here's to hoping 343 and ESL only had a contract for 2 seasons of pro league and there's a big announcement after finals that they have partnered up with MLG to run the classic "Pro Circuit" with multiple open events and GB tournaments where players accumulate points and Final Boss hoodies to qualify for Worlds.

If I'm right I fully expect a care package of Team Beyond merchandise hand delivered to my door step by Cooper.

Here's to hoping 343 and ESL only had a contract for 2 seasons of pro league and there's a big announcement after finals that they have partnered up with MLG to run the classic "Pro Circuit" with multiple open events and GB tournaments where players accumulate points and Final Boss hoodies to qualify for Worlds.

If I'm right I fully expect a care package of Team Beyond merchandise hand delivered to my door step by Cooper.

or just keep ESL Pro League (with some structure changes, obviously) and have mid-season MLG LANs, it was a really enjoyable format from the CWL and Black Ops 3.

• Upvote (+1) 4

or just keep ESL Pro League (with some structure changes, obviously) and have mid-season MLG LANs, it was a really enjoyable format from the CWL and Black Ops 3.

Until broadcaster mode is in the game and working, I couldn't care less if we didn't have an online pro league. I've enjoyed scrims more than pro league matches because what I'm watching in scrims is actually an accurate representation of what is happening.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Until broadcaster mode is in the game and working, I couldn't care less if we didn't have an online pro league. I've enjoyed scrims more than pro league matches because what I'm watching in scrims is actually an accurate representation of what is happening.

Observer Mode probably isn't going to fix the reticle nonsense, so I guess I agree with that.

i watched some of the gears tournament today. it was ungodly boring. i don't watch any others, so 343 can rest assured my viewership isn't going anywhere.

it's all just a time suck for me.

• Upvote (+1) 3

as someone who feels the exact opposite way you do i totally understand why you feel the way you do

halo is my sport, period, and it's hurting, i'm going to do every thing i can to help grow my sport

i'd support halo regardless of what shape it is in, i'll never give up, i might branch into other things but halo will always be my #1

but i can totally understand why people feel hopeless atm, the state of h5 is fucked, as evidenced by so many 343 people leaving

i have zero reason for saying this but i think 2017 is going to be very different

(assuming they can fix the game, pls for god sakes, if these coders can't fix this shit we are in deep trouble)

edit: quoted the wrong post lul

I can only hope that you're right. But, as you said, 343/ESL have given us no reason to have faith in them. I'll be there for finals. After that, I won't make any promises regarding my future viewership, possibly even my future purchase of a game from 343.

i watched some of the gears tournament today. it was ungodly boring. i don't watch any others, so 343 can rest assured my viewership isn't going anywhere.

it's all just a time suck for me.

Respectable competitive settings, a large skill gap, functional LAN/spectator mode, and high quality production sure is tedious. :bman: 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Respectable competitive settings, a large skill gap, functional LAN/spectator mode, and high quality production sure is tedious. :bman:

It could be also that he finds the game boring, I love playing Gears but I don't find it as entertaining at a high level.

• Upvote (+1) 2