CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

We used to have one, we just do all Gears post with just 1 Gears thread. Or this thread works as a temp.

Shame because the Gears thread stays dead. I guess it because everyone comes to Beyond for Halo. It'd be interesting if Team Beyond was the home for comp Gears and Halo. 

There is an interesting discussion here about where events are being broadcast. For MLG they don't necessarily NEED to stream on /MLG (or whatever they use) since I can assume they are in a financial partnership with The Coalition. Then you factor in that companies like ME/PGL want to stream on their channels because that means more growth for them but is it at the expense of viewership? You can certainly make that connection and if everything is streamed on /Halo then it centralizes everything and thus making it easier for the viewer, in theory. 

in fact

• Upvote (+1) 3

Look at that trophy! It's not made out of tinfoil.

plus it looks like something from the game and not just a metal tree stump

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would do illegal things for H3: Anniversary with Open Lans run by MLG. I'd never post an Emma gif ever again if that's what it took.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would do illegal things for H3: Anniversary with Open Lans run by MLG. I'd never post an Emma gif ever again if that's what it took.

I don't think you could possibly do it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is an interesting discussion here about where events are being broadcast. For MLG they don't necessarily NEED to stream on /MLG (or whatever they use) since I can assume they are in a financial partnership with The Coalition. Then you factor in that companies like ME/PGL want to stream on their channels because that means more growth for them but is it at the expense of viewership? You can certainly make that connection and if everything is streamed on /Halo then it centralizes everything and thus making it easier for the viewer, in theory.

I do want there to be opportunities for companies like ME/PGL, UGC, P5, etc to grow because I grew up on the grassroots scene but is the era of the grassroots dead? Clearly, the focus of discussion is on viewership/open events and if companies like MLG were to get involved in Halo would there be much room for the grassroots but and is that a bad thing?

This is just something I was thinking about and I'm curious to hear what you all think. <3 you all.

I dont think grassroots is dead (ugc was the most successful event we've had all season) but halo is in a bad enough place that streams need to be centralized on the main halo channel since it has the broadest reach. Hcs sanctioned events should not have a smaller average viewership than pro league

• Upvote (+1) 1

in fact

I do not have data to support this (and by data I mean stuff I can pull from the Twitch backend) so that's why I say "in theory".

i didn't even know the stream for Vegas the first day. There is literally 0 benefit for the stage of halo currently to not have things centralized. We've struggled with keeping growth in this game, we have had high points. But it's constant steps back and this is just the icing on the cake.

Not knowing where the stream is located is certainly an issue. I personally would want it to be on /Halo because I follow that channel and it shows up in my feed when it's live. Plus, I miss you boo.

• Upvote (+1) 6

For those that care about viewership stats and whatnot, these are from @ and @@Moses_FPS posts.

Gears Columbus Peak

- Friday - 12,000~

- Saturday - 16,000~

- Sunday - 35,235~

HCS Vegas Peak

- Friday - 3,676~

- Saturday - 3,500~

- Sun/Mon - 8,068

I think a more comparable stat is the first Halo 5 event to the first Gears of War 4 event. Halo 5 is a year old game where as Gears 4 just came out. I know this will be viewed as me defending 343 but it's hard to make that comparison in my opinion. It is sad to see the numbers from Vegas be so low though :(

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I think a more comparable stat is the first Halo 5 event to the first Gears of War 4 event. Halo 5 is a year old game where as Gears 4 just came out. I know this will be viewed as me defending 343 but it's hard to make that comparison in my opinion. It is sad to see the numbers from Vegas be so low though :(

also there was $300k on the line for GoW and that halo event was a $25k event

i don't think 30k viewers will be the norm for GoW esports

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not knowing where the stream is located is certainly an issue. I personally would want it to be on /Halo because I follow that channel and it shows up in my feed when it's live. Plus, I miss you boo.

I think the only way it could be hosted on the event's stream is if hcs spent weeks advertising the event and stream location.

Plus they should advertise in general. I see so many csgo adds on breaks during halo, but ive never seen a halo add while watching esl csgo