CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Figured id watch halo over gears... match crashes...

Pathetic

Its been particularly bad tonight :(

Thats not really the point though, im not saying the pistol should easily beat the ar at close range but it should be possible without needing the ar player to miss a few shots

Then go play halo 3 with its nerfed as hell weapon sandbox. The pistol is almost always the better gun with how long the line of sights are, and how open the maps are. Theres a big difference between being useful and viable Vs OP and the At sure is hell isn't Op. This isn't world at war SMG laser gun. Hell the AR isn't even the best auto. It's out classed by every other auto in the game

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 22

I would say that it's accurate (ignoring CE since it is a completely different beast). Most weapons in the game can actually be used in a competitive setting, which has never been the case with a Halo game before. There are of course some weird things (suppressor is really in a weird place for example) so it isn't perfect, but it is certainly more balanced than H2/H3/Reach ever were.

It's "balanced" in that every weapon in the game can kill pretty easily in around a second or less. It's "balanced" in that skill-requirement has minimal correlation to killing power (even the sniper is easy). The idea that every weapon should be viable at high levels of play is flawed, especially in a game like H5 in which almost none of those weapons have any depth or meaningful skill requirement. I really don't get why introducing more rock paper scissors (I have a storm rifle, I win) and less shooting skill is anything but bad for a competitive game. The H4 (post-turbo, because nothing else really matters) AR was fine: perfectly capable of getting kills, but precision weapons were more than capable of putting it in its place. It was a noob weapon, as a bullet hose with random spread and recoil should be. Now it has HEAD SHOT BONUSES and pros frequently switch to it in close quarters. The H5 Suppressor is in a weird place because it's the only well-balanced automatic in the game. It trades a fast kill time for lower shooting skill requirement. And now the weapon that gets stepped on by most of the other weapons in our sandbox but has the highest skill requirement (the magnum) is what we call the "utility weapon."

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Then go play halo 3 with its nerfed as hell weapon sandbox. The pistol is almost always the better gun with how long the line of sights are, and how open the maps are. Theres a big difference between being useful and viable. This isn't world at war SMG laser gun. Hell the AR isn't even the best auto. It's out classed by every other auto in the game

Your last point makes no difference to the argument because we don't spawn in with SMGs, Storm Rifles or SAWs.

People may dislike autos but power weapons (which the above 3 should be) are fine.

I will say that while I understand 'universal settings' (I misunderstood the context of this when I was asked earlier), I don't agree that it is necessary for all levels of play. Universal settings should be the established and universal rule set for competitive play with no deviation; i.e. when the NBA hosts a game there is one defining rule set. However, as other users have pointed out, Basketball transcends that rule set and grows/thrives celebrating a variety of play styles, rule sets, and game modes:

• Highschool basketball different rules than the NBA
  • College basketball different rules from the NBA
  • Euro basketball different rules from the NBA
  • Olympics different rules from the NBA
  • HORSE
  • PIG
  • Around the world
  • 1v1
  • Playground style
  • Knockout
  • 1v1v1
  • ETC

Interest grows in the NBA due to a love of basketball in all of its varieties. Back in the day with Halo CE I remember scouring forums to find out what the top players were playing in regards to custom games. Why not make this information readily available? Put 'how to' guides in the game menu on how to set up games for different scenarios (i.e. HCS CTF is set up yada yada) so that anyone can set up custom games in the HCS/NBA style if they choose, but they're not forced to do it. Make playlists that have this standardized ruleset (i.e. the old MLG playlist) but also make lists that cover other styles.

Point is, you can't force the community to play a certain way, the community will tell you what it wants by its actions. People always ask me 'how do you know when a game is ready for esports' and to steal from Jurassic Park, 'esports always finds a way if it is going to happen'. If the game and community can support it, it will manifest and it is up to the publisher/organizers to harness it.

The current iteration of esports with overbearing corporate interest/meddling (NOT directed at Halo/343 or anyone in particular) is to force an agenda on the community instead of letting it happen organically. This is the wrong approach in my opinion. This industry is infantile and still very cyclical and I hope this will also pass as the generation that heralded esports into existence starts to take positions of influence across the industry.

One can hope.

Makes sense and I agree.

Although I do feel like some things should be universal for the sake of familiarity for both casual and competitive players when it comes to "traditional" 4v4 Halo. Things like map layouts, weapon buffs/nerfs, and even starting weapons, if you can find the perfect combo, should be across the board. One major change that should happen for competitive is no radar. Never forget the days of Reach and 4 where you have multiple versions of the game and some things like weapon properties and zero bloom were specific to certain gametypes or playlists.

We already have our variations of pig, knockout, and around the world with modes like BTB, Grifball, Action Sack, & Infection and they're doing fine. 

New MW (SwiftKill/Dastroyed/Nemassist + Ryanoob - Lifestyle) 6-0ed 6S in scrims according to Halo Tracker... really wish Relegation was top 4 AM and bottom 4 PL teams, with top 4 feeding into Finals bracket and next season of Pro League.

For next season @@Tashi @@Vivi @@Timo , combine Open Circuit and Relegation into one weekend, followed by double elim 8-team season finals 2-3 weeks later. 

Would be an upgrade from current Vegas + Relegation/Finals structure.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You must be new to Halo.

You must have no memory. Halo 3 was absolute shit. And I've been playing since Halo CE

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 33

Love you photography. I have all your flickr albums bookmarked in case I need a photo to create a wallpaper or something.

Surprised you havent been approached by 343. 

I really appreciate It man! It's literally been way too long since I shot a Halo event. Before Vegas I am pretty sure the last event I shot was the HCS Burbank LAN qualifier and that was back In May.

I actually kind of worked with 343 at NA Regionals, Worlds, and Burbank. I gave them photos back In PGL Indy when i first met Tashi. 

But like I said previously, I'm sure It's cheaper for them to hire photographers ESL would normally use since they are based on the west coast(or the money just isn't there for photographers). I reached out to Che and someone else back when they first announced the LANs for season 2. Che never responded(I think I know why now with him stepping down from 343) and I did get a response back from someone else but nothing ever happened. 

With Che gone Im not really sure who to contact specifically...

I recently contacted someone else about Worlds so lets hope that works out :)

• Upvote (+1) 6

You must have no memory. Halo 3 was absolute shit. And I've been playing since Halo CE

Halo 2 had autos being useless. HCE was dominated by the magnum, a precision weapon. Halo 3 was more of the same. The only downsides of H3 IMO were that the BR had random spread and H3 online was trash. But on LAN? Nearly as good as H2 IMO.  Please, instead of making claims and no arguments to support them, gather some evidence first. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

13 dollars for shipping. Scuf is such a ripoff

New MW (SwiftKill/Dastroyed/Nemassist + Ryanoob - Lifestyle) 6-0ed 6S in scrims according to Halo Tracker... really wish Relegation was top 4 AM and bottom 4 PL teams, with top 4 feeding into Finals bracket and next season of Pro League.

For next season @@Tashi @@Vivi @@Timo , combine Open Circuit and Relegation into one weekend, followed by double elim 8-team season finals 2-3 weeks later.

Nah that's silly. We should be focusing on more open events and getting all 8 pros at finals

Surprised lifestyle got dropped.

Anyone know if cloud is still going to play?

13 dollars for shipping. Scuf is such a ripoff

Nah that's silly. We should be focusing on more open events and getting all 8 pros at finals

Surprised lifestyle got dropped.

Anyone know if cloud is still going to play?

Scufs are a ripoff they don't have that Premium feel that Elite controllers have.

Scufs are a ripoff they don't have that Premium feel that Elite controllers have.

The premium feel of trash bumpers that break more often than ghost melees happen in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why would people want to watch that? - ESL before in this very forum
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The premium feel of trash bumpers that break more often than ghost melees happen in Halo 5.

Scufs feel like cheap plastic and are overpriced at least with the Elite controllers you get them replaced if you have a warranty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Scufs feel like cheap plastic and are overpriced at least with the Elite controllers you get them replaced if you have a warranty.

Elite warranty is only 2 or 3 months if you don't get a store warranty. The left bumper always falls apart and there's slow turn.

Scuf are just the same as regular x1 plastic

I have slow turn to the left and 2 strips of duct tape holding the bumpers on. Xbox support told me it was a year warranty... get a $20 warranty from newegg or best buy. With how often the bumpers break, you'll have free controllers for life.

So? What Halo 3 was or wasnt has no bearing on this particular discussion.

Elite warranty is only 2 or 3 months if you don't get a store warranty. The left bumper always falls apart and there's slow turn.

Scuf are just the same as regular x1 plastic

Which is cheap compared to the rubber grip Elites. Scufs can suffer from slow turn too. There is no escaping the slow turn!

Dude perfect kills with the AR NEVER happen! I had my teammate stand still and shot at him and I got maybe one perfect kill in like fifty. And that number drops dramatically as you put even a modicum of distance or mom event into play. Yes the AR is powerful, but it has never been more the a trash heap gun used when you had no ammo. Hell in H3 the BR was literally unpunishable

Normally I just ignore all your shitposts but today I felt the urge to really point out what an idiot you are. I really hope you're just trolling because at least with plasmacasterpapi and fanboy we know their posts are at the end of the day satirical. But you, whew, there is 0 reason that halfway across a map I should be able to 180 and pepper fire someone with my AR and beat them with their pistol. SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN! Yes as far as halo 5 goes I can easily do that as long as I make them miss a shot or 2 and a make sure I'm not missing shots by holding down the trigger, there is not even close to enough fall off damage. Stop spewing a bunch of bull from your mouth just because you like something because just because YOU like it doesn't mean its the right way the game should work

• Upvote (+1) 1

Then go play halo 3 with its nerfed as hell weapon sandbox. The pistol is almost always the better gun with how long the line of sights are, and how open the maps are. Theres a big difference between being useful and viable Vs OP and the At sure is hell isn't Op. This isn't world at war SMG laser gun. Hell the AR isn't even the best auto. It's out classed by every other auto in the game

I lost 3 brain cells and went down to Gold 5 reading this.

• Upvote (+1) 8