CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think one of the biggest things that make this particular game and league unappealing is the fact that gone are the days of being a "pro" or "semi pro". Back in H2/H3 the grind was unreal because you knew that going to a tournament meant you could come back with that title, stipends and a slick jersey for the next event.

Sure in the grand scheme of things it really was minuscule, but to the players who wanted to be the best, it meant everything to get points, top 16, etc.

I don't have a burning desire to be a pro player for Halo 5. I don't think a lot of people want to bust their ass just to play 1 series to determine if you're in a league full of 8 teams. That's why these LAN events are so crucial. It was the greatest feeling to be with your team on Friday in registration, knowing you had to go through a gauntlet to get to Champ bracket.

Teams would stick together throughout the entire season just to get enough points to bump them into the top 16. Pro player meetings were like the cool kids club. All the amateurs would just watch and say "Maybe one day." 

I don't know what I'm trying to get at. But maybe I'm not the only one who feels this way. When I got on Halo everyday after school or work, I was dreaming of being on mainstage at MLG with Faruq announcing my name and Julia giving me the interview after we won. I look at these past events and it's just not appealing to me. I don't have that same attitude to grind and be the next... Pro League player? 

Just showing that crowd for the Pro Circuit would be enough for me to say "Okay, I'm coming back." I never get the same vibe for events now. Maybe I'm just old. 

I was lucky enough to play on main stage a couple times during tournaments I went to.  Just about shat my pants, overthought the fact that i was on main stage and played terribly... but i wouldn't give that up for anything.  Was such a cool and fun experience even though we got trounced at all the events I competed in.  I had dreams of being the next Strongside or Walshy myself, until i realized i just suck too much lol.

Good fucking times.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I was lucky enough to play on main stage a couple times during tournaments I went to.  Just about shat my pants, overthought the fact that i was on main stage and played terribly... but i wouldn't give that up for anything.  Was such a cool and fun experience even though we got trounced at all the events I competed in.  I had dreams of being the next Strongside or Walshy myself, until i realized i just suck too much lol.

Good fucking times.

Hahaha. That's awesome. I went to Dallas in H2 for my first event. Played on mainstage and my teammate was so nervous he stuck me right after Lockout started. The crowd just about died. I did too. We got smashed, but it was SO fun.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hahaha. That's awesome. I went to Dallas in H2 for my first event. Played on mainstage and my teammate was so nervous he stuck me right after Lockout started. The crowd just about died. I did too. We got smashed, but it was SO fun.

haha.  I had so much fun even when I lost in those games.  And half the fun at events had nothing to do with the actual tournament.  

We would get adjacent hotel rooms, then unscrew the TV from the stand in one room and move it to the next room so we could play system link with 8 people smashed into 1 hotel room on giant tube TVs. Just inviting random people that we played against or met online and decided to meet up with.  So much fun.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Everytime Adam posts I just get sad that 343 doesn't really engage with MLG. When 2gre retired, Sundance and Adam were some of the first to acknowledge him and what he did. Adam posts here and genuinely cares for Pro Halo. MLG doesn't need Halo. CoD, Gears, soon Overwatch invitational at MLG Vegas which is shaping upto be a killer event. Halo needs MLG now, like Halo needed MLG back in H2 and H3 and even Reach as Bungie was neglecting the competitive scene. Any other dev would be bending over backwards to involve MLG the way Adam and MLG want to still be involved with Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You guys complain about everything and I'm here just wanting a Pro League for Latin America, or maybe some tourneys... they even gave Australians their own league... what a joke lol. @@Timo is there any chance this could happen next year?

Oh, and I want to don't have to play on 200 ping servers, give us some servers to us latin plebs, 343.

I still love this game and the tournaments and I think people don't realize they are complaining way too much. The moment ESL decides to don't support Halo anymore we're all fucked up. You all can go and say hello to a new AGL, cause your dear MLG is not going to spend any of their own money to run tournaments on their own, they just want Microsoft $$$.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 4

You guys complain about everything and I'm here just wanting a Pro League for Latin America, or maybe some tourneys... they even gave Australians their own league... what a joke lol. @@Timo is there any chance this could happen next year?

Oh, and I want to don't have to play on 200 ping servers, give us some servers to us latin plebs, 343.

I still love this game and the tournaments and I think people don't realize they are complaining way too much. The moment ESL decides to don't support Halo anymore we're all fucked up. You all can go and say hello to a new AGL, cause your dear MLG is not going to spend any of their own money to run tournaments on their own, they just want Microsoft $$$.

Just my two cents.

I want Latin America to have a league too. Failure to grow the scene in NA and EU lessens the likelihood of that ever happening.

If 343 actually listened to these complaints, we'd probably have something similar to what Gears has, which is actually conducive to international competition.

Also, i hope you don't think esl is LESS interested in MS $

Just my two cents.

>You guys complain too much

>Complains

>Just take it up the ass already

That's what I read.

-------

The problem is, a lot of these issues shouldn't be issues at all to begin with. People involved with HCS and ESL have a foundation of over 10+ years on how to do shit with competitive Halo but somehow we are still regressing with formats, rules, streams, etc after 2 years. Tons of people in the community have given constructive feedback non-stop over this time but it just feels it's never listened to or even utilized.

Yes it sucks to have people complaining non-stop. But you know what the great thing about that is? They still care enough about to scene to say something. The worst part is those that have already left and abandoned the scene (and I don't blame them).

I hate talking about this depressing stuff before one of my favorite holidays, but damn :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He's quite literally a memelord and runs the esl halo social media and live coverage.

If he's a meme Lord are you a meme God? 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Since @LethuL asked so nicely, here are the end-of-season Elo ratings including OC and LV.

7SliRNs.png

Notes and observations below for those interested:

Again, for anyone interested in how Elo ratings work, I recommend FiveThirtyEight's FAQ/primer.

Note that, by design, Elo ratings only change when you win or lose. That is why OG's Elo remains unchanged through HCS Las Vegas.

Also, since more games are taken into account this season than last (due to open tournaments being included), last season's record high and low are not quite directly comparable to this season. To make them somewhat comparable will require a "seasonal adjustment," which I will do later.

Regarding parity, Season 2 has some interesting clustering: there is more parity among the bottom six teams than last season, but now there are not one but two teams far ahead of the competition.

Proof that asking nice helps.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Proof that asking nice helps.

He might have still given it to you if you promised to run him off of your forums if he didn't.

I need some rostermania

if there isn't any rostermania yet, can we start speculating? do people think that nV make a change if they finish less than first at season finals? 

About Latin America:

Every big esports have a good brazilian team (or at least brazilian players) in worlds events. In Halo Worlds 2016 the three brazilian teams that got to regional finals got 500 dollars each, and they all got eliminated there. There aren't events here, so who's gonna play Halo? The only pro that I know moved to Overwatch. No one streams Halo here, I tried and got only 3 people max. Halo is having a hard time in USA while others esports have leagues all over the world.

• Upvote (+1) 3