CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The funny thing is the half ass setup they had to develop to simulate a LAN at official events looks complex and probably took more time to develop then just implementing LAN into the game. Also they manage to do the impossible. Lag outs on "LAN"

How could you possible know which is more complex without actually working on the game? 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

How could you possible know which is more complex without actually working on the game? 

Peer to peer connections have been a thing since the dawn of the internet. Would not think it would a huge hurdle to over come in 2016. No LAN really dose affect the local scene. I am in charge of local LANs at that my local bowling alley. They host them once a month. I would love to host Halo 5 but they don't have the bandwidth. Little things like this is what slowly kills the game.  

• Upvote (+1) 6

Peer to peer connections have been a thing since the dawn of the internet. Would not think it would a huge hurdle to over come in 2016. 

The entire game was built to run on dedicated servers. Shame on them for not thinking about LAN support at all but I imagine if it was simple, it would have been done already to make the events run smoother.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

31esports-inline1-superJumbo.jpgbeautiful.........

why cant halo events look like this?

343 is all: 

czrRSt3.jpg

Why are you laughing? What's so funny about his post?

What could you possibly point to in his post that could be construed as funny?

I'm waiting.

If i felt like elaborating I would have.

Pro League format

Undeniably, there are people who dislike the Pro League format. What is also true, is that the viewership for the regular season of Pro League has grown from Summer to Fall by 25%-55% depending on the metric you look at. Hopefully, we can keep making the right adjustments to Pro League that’ll keep increasing your interest and desire to watch it.

Thank you for your post and actually attempting to interact with the community, something 343 seems against for some reason.

In response to the Pro League format, the only change I can think of ESL making from Summer to Fall was moving games to Weds and Thurs. If I were working at ESL I think it's pretty obvious the increase in viewership was more due to the fact that Optic (the indisputable most popular org in NA) acquired a top team and NV became a realistic challenge to them. 

Unfortunately for you guys, 343 is really the ones with the ability to make changes that can realistically help both ESL and the competitive community. Forget settings or maps for a minutes, next time you have a conversation with anyone of importance at 343 please beg them to:

1. Fix the servers

2. Implement lan capabilities

3. Fix spectator mode

these three issues I believe are holding back ESL, Pro League, and other tournament organizers from being able to have success using Halo as a main title. Don't get me wrong settings are still an issue, and how Stasis is still in the game is beyond me, but from ESL's perspective these things must drive you as crazy as the community. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo needs to completely fail before heads will roll at 343. 

Rather unfortunate. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

31esports-inline1-superJumbo.jpgbeautiful.........

why cant halo events look like this?

Be realistic Halo will never have that not even Cod has had that big of a venue.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The entire game was built to run on dedicated servers. Shame on them for not thinking about LAN support at all but I imagine if it was simple, it would have been done already to make the events run smoother.

^^ given all the flak they have gotten, they would have implemented it by now if it were that easy.  

I would wager that if they did make a project out of integrating LAN, it would help them understand some of the issues that are plaguing the servers though.  Might be a good exercise for them to do anyway.  :thinking:

Thank you for your post and actually attempting to interact with the community, something 343 seems against for some reason.

In response to the Pro League format, the only change I can think of ESL making from Summer to Fall was moving games to Weds and Thurs. If I were working at ESL I think it's pretty obvious the increase in viewership was more due to the fact that Optic (the indisputable most popular org in NA) acquired a top team and NV became a realistic challenge to them. 

Unfortunately for you guys, 343 is really the ones with the ability to make changes that can realistically help both ESL and the competitive community. Forget settings or maps for a minutes, next time you have a conversation with anyone of importance at 343 please beg them to:

1. Fix the servers

2. Implement lan capabilities

3. Fix spectator mode

these three issues I believe are holding back ESL, Pro League, and other tournament organizers from being able to have success using Halo as a main title. Don't get me wrong settings are still an issue, and how Stasis is still in the game is beyond me, but from ESL's perspective these things must drive you as crazy as the community. 

This might be the best response @@Timo has gotten today.  The things you mentioned are definitely the priorities even above settings and tournament structure.  I think its helpful to be reminded that not all issues should be given the same weight.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only difficult thing about standard p2p LAN support, is that it forces your to reserve cpu compute for host duties. That's 10% of your cpu that has to be set aside instead of facilitating gameplay.

I can imagine that being a hurdle in a halo game (more complex physics than most shooters)that prioritizes 60fps, on the xb1s weak cpu.

Still that doesn't excuse not allowing for local server support. We had that on og xbox with rainbow 6.

Be realistic Halo will never have that not even Cod has had that big of a venue.

Yeah. NO console esport will every rival games like DotA, LoL or CS.  PC install base will always be much much higher than console.

We should strive for that level of success, but not expect or feel entitled to it.

He just can't turn off the savagery 

DAT SAVAGERY 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only difficult thing about standard p2p LAN support, is that it forces your to reserve cpu compute for host duties.

I can imagine that being a hurdle in a halo game (more complex physics than most shooters)that prioritizes 60fps, on the xb1s weak cpu.

Still that doesn't excuse not allowing for local server support. We had that on og xbox with rainbow 6.

Or the fact that I can download a client to turn my pc into a local server for a myriad of pc games. That to me would be an acceptable alternative.  Maybe even preferable because while it would be slightly more difficult than standard console LAN, it would have the game run from a true, neutral 3rd party machine.

He just can't turn off the savagery 

He's seriously going to land himself in jail one of these days with the way he acts.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I dont know that a players union is a good idea.  

This community has a bad rep for being super negative.  I know that it's not about us just wanting to drop shade on everything, its that we are passionate.  

I also know we aren't demanding impossible things and are willing to compromise.  

I think if anything, we need like a manifesto.  Something that defines what we stand for and why, so people can look past the crap and see what we are really about.  

Something 343 and ESL can respond to

So playfully teasing means savage now? Sounds about right.

That's what she said  :simms: