CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Adam has interacted more with this community in the last few days then the HCS staff have done in the last year. PASSION.

*Not counting neg rep

lul

With only 8 teams in Pro League it makes it hard to make the regular season 'worth it' if there is no cut off. That leaves you with a weird 6 team playoff or a small 4 team playoff, neither is ideal. With online leagues the flaw is obviously the playing field: Online is not the same competitive experience as LAN so an argument could be made that all teams make the playoffs. Overall the situation is not ideal but you need to make lemonade somehow. If the scenario you're facing is 4 teams in playoffs and a relegation tournament, at a bare minimum every match should be streamed. 

honestly, id love to see the open lans impact seeding for finals. if 343 is insistant on online pro league, than do a lan to open the season, in the middle and at the end. the first lan determines top 8 for pro league. pro league can determine seeding and have a prize pool if wanted. at the second event, if an am team places top 8 then they are now pro. rince and repeat. the final lan will determine the 8 teams for finals and give them a couple weeks to scrim before the finals. during pro league, pgl should still run the online cups to allow am teams to practice and win money. this seems like it could work

• Downvote (-1) 1

It's amazing there are 2k viewers when there has been no games for a full hour and it's just the same montages and top 5 plays we've been watching for months.

edit: an hour and 15 minutes and no players even on stage? Aren't there two full brackets to run today? This stream will be going until like 3am.

Spot on

kick ass final was definitely worth staying up for and seeing Austin go off in that game 7 made a dad proud. Having said that much love and respect to all of NV and Liquid warriors thru and thru. gg's (Great Games)

This is so awesome to read

• Upvote (+1) 3

ffs, everytime I read tweets like these from 343 employees I die a bit inside. This 'all-nighter' is actually really embarrassing if you think about it, Kiki. I understand she tries to be nice to her colleagues but come on ... I really hate this bare-minimun mentality most of these higher-ups at 343 have, when really she should kick their asses so they know they should improve on an - again - in many ways dissapointing tournament.

Edit: it's probably the higher-ups at 343, like Kiki, who actually need a kick under their asses. I'm sure most people she mentioned (and others) like Lenox and Bravo give their all to make tourneys like these a success.

• Upvote (+1) 5

So what 4 teams are playing in relegation?

E6, Allegiance, 3sUp, and 6S.

3sUp is Monster, Prototype, Rammy, and Renegade.

6S is Tripppey, Boamx, Tire Iron, and Lil Saiyan

• Upvote (+1) 4

Pro points need to make a return to Halo. This adds extra incentive to all competitors to attend Open LAN events so they can play for not just pride and money, but for a better seed. I'm sure Luminosity would have attended this past Vegas event if they knew their seed was in risk of falling, putting them in a harder bracket going into Regionals for the next Worlds

There is no reason for pro teams to attend Open tournaments with small prize pools the way things are structured now.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Wth..went to watch the rebroadcast on xb1 and says not available on this platform :/

I tried to watch the rebroadcast this morning via Twitch on my Macbook and iPad and neither worked.  Not sure if it's an issue with Twitch or what, but I still haven't been able to watch the finals yet. :salt:

I tried to watch the rebroadcast this morning via Twitch on my Macbook and iPad and neither worked.  Not sure if it's an issue with Twitch or what, but I still haven't been able to watch the finals yet. :salt:

I just tried on my pc and it seems to be working fine. Try it again.

Don't forget it was broadcasted via the PGLpro channel, I made that mistake trying to find the rebroadcast.

https://www.twitch.tv/pglpro/videos/all

In case you didn't know it's the vid that is 17 hours long  :lxthul: 

• Upvote (+1) 3

This weekends event:

Pros:

- Large Open Bracket event:  We have wanted these in the scene and issues aside, it delivered on that front.

- AM Teams got tons of experience on the main stage

- We got A LOT of competitive Halo this weekend.  A LOT.  

- Issues aside, the FFA was great and I would like to see more FFA at tournaments, just maybe not a full day only dedicated to it.  

- Got to see some side station games on the main stream

Cons:

- Schedule issues obviously.  Everyone knows this was a problem no reason to fuss about it, the organizer SURELY know this was a huge fail

- No Second stream for side stations.  Many important matches were not covered on the main stream.  Props to the team for trying to keep us updated on the series tho.  

- Time between series and games seemed way too long and probably contributed to schedule issues.  

- Too much Halo.  I watched the stream all weekend and was on overload by the time we hit the top4.  I didn't even care to watch those games even though it sounded like some sick series.  

I hope to see Millenium sort through these issues and return with another event in the future

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just tried on my pc and it seems to be working fine. Try it again.

Just tried again on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone.  Nothing.

Even tried on my fiancee's laptop.  Still just sits at a black screen with the play button visible, but pushing it does nothing.  Whatever.

Open brackets are not easy to run, and it is very formulaic with schedule planning. The pivots are:

• How many days do you have to operate the bracket
  • How many hours per day
  • How many teams
  • How many stations (station count must adhere to 8, 16, 32, etc for Open)
When you don't start pro play in parallel with Open bracket, you add exponential time to the event and impair your programming:
  • The 'next bracket' cannot start until Open completely finishes. This adds unnecessary rounds compared to a pool play in parallel scenario where teams that win losers bracket quarters go to championship bracket losers and winners bracket semis automatically make it to Pool play.
  • You cannot start Pro Matches for stream until Open finishes. This means Pros sit on their ass until late Saturday night or Sunday. Why would you run a premiere event and have your stars on the broadcast bench until the end?
  • A deficiency of stations means they will have more heats per round until later rounds. This is a huge barrier to schedule efficiency.
Here is what they should do:
  • Pro teams start in pools, 12 total teams. 4 stations are dedicated to pool play, 1 per pool (counts main stage). Starts Friday.
  • Open bracket runs in parallel to Pool play. 16 stations are dedicated to open bracket. Starts Friday.
  • The 4 semi final Open bracket teams do NOT play out their matches and move to Pool Play
  • The 4 teams from loser bracket quarters go to Championship losers bracket
  • 2 teams advance from each pool to Championship winners bracket
  • 2 teams fall from Pools to Championship losers bracket
  • Pools run Friday/Saturday, Open runs Friday/Saturday, Championship bracket begins Saturday evening and finishes on Sunday.
This format allows you to have a scalable and massive open bracket while having a fully programmed out main stage + Bravo stream broadcast with pro matches. Win.
Can we have you back already?

ffs, everytime I read tweets like these from 343 employees I die a bit inside. This 'all-nighter' is actually really embarrassing if you think about it, Kiki. I understand she tries to be nice to her colleagues but come on ... I really hate this bare-minimun mentality most of these higher-ups at 343 have, when really she should kick their asses so they know they should improve on an - again - in many ways dissapointing tournament.

Edit: it's probably the higher-ups at 343, like Kiki, who actually need a kick under their asses. I'm sure most people she mentioned (and others) like Lenox and Bravo give their all to make tourneys like these a success.

It really bothers me that each time they put on one of these mediocre events that their first reaction seems to be a sense of accomplishment when most everyone else (i.e. participants/spectators) come away feeling the exact opposite.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like we have all bludgeoned this dead horse into a meaty mess but...

-We need LAN support (if not integrated LAN, at least a separate client that than be used by anybody not just those sanctioned by 343/MS)

-We need MLG.  I would love to support these smaller TOs, but at this point Halo needs the attention and experience that only MLG can provide.  Its not about disrespecting smaller TOs, its about putting halo in a situation where it can become a force again.

-We need separate settings from "Vanilla".  This experiment has failed. make it so.

-We need a true social experience in this game that is only fun.  I don't know about anybody else, but i became a fan of competitive by stumbling upon it while playing fun, social games with friends. 

-we need a stable fucking game

-half-decent schedules

ftfy

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just wonder if anyone that's actually in charge cares. We've been getting mediocre shit constantly for so long its hard to even believe someone is really out there trying to improve stuff. I don't mean low level people that are obviously passionate. I mean the higher up people in charge of the total budget who get in contact with tournament organizers and finalize everything.

I feel bad for FAB. I like MLGAdam's pool idea, he mentioned earlier about group pools, It would have given them more opportunity to play the other pro teams rather than two top 4 ones.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No idea why FAB came out - seemed like a waste of money from the get-go. It was nice seeing them play, but big picture wise it wasn't worth it. 

• Downvote (-1) 9

stuff

I was going to write up a big old post on how MLG Philly 05 operated with full support for multiple tournaments and games but it would just look like a rant. I imagine Philly was one of the most taxing events on MLG staff but you guys made it work. You guys were always trying to "make it work". I just feel like theres a lot that we have to settle with regarding ESL.

As great as developer support can be, especially financially, I'm tired of feeling absolutely helpless with providing feedback. MLG had their own dedicated team that created and tested settings. There was just so much that was done right back then, including getting the entire year's schedule out way in advance. Then handling each event info in advance as well with team passes going up early as well as the hotel blocks and travel information.

MLG has a track record for about a decade of events, and I'm sure many here have seen them run during Halo 3 or Reach, but go research Philly 05 and imagine if any of these other companies attempted something like this.

• Upvote (+1) 3