CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If Halo 5 was on more consoles then the viewership would increase.

It absolutely would. Look at Destiny

• Upvote (+1) 1

P C  B O I Z

I mean, it ended 11-3 nV. All but 2 OBJ's were close though, and all maps nV lost were close(100-95, 50-48, 50-43). The slayers they won though they won with 11-22 kills. But in the end, close doesn't shoot no hare, like we say here in Sweden.

sig'd

• Upvote (+1) 1

knowing our luck we will get halo 6 on pc but h6 will be garb

This, or 343 will do something fucking dumb like only make campaign available on PC

• Upvote (+1) 1

Liquid, while 7th place, got significantly better leading up to relegation. That's an anomaly not proof that 10 teams would be bad because the relegation teams couldn't beat 'em. Look at where there members are now...

Stop it just stop it.

The amateur teams have to prove the talent pool is large enough to warrant expanding the league

Yes, denial beat optic in one series but then lost it when it mattered. If they cannot beat optic (who were virtually an embarrassment) then we do not have a strong enough pool of players to warrant a 10 team pro league.

The pro league should be about showcasing the best halo teams not every average joe with some notorious halo figure on it.

Str8 sick, RyanNoob, Rammy and I really don't care who if they want to regain their spot, then they have to earn it. What you are proposing is essentially destroying the am scene as not a single noteworthy player would be in the challenger league, making relegation useless. 

Stop pretending that these orgs pull in thousands of viewers, they don't. The level of competition has to remain as high as humanly possible to generate interest.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This, or 343 will do something fucking dumb like only make campaign available on PC

Or add reqs, and make it so that you have to unlock forge pieces in req packs, only for console or some shit like that

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Or add reqs, and make it so that you have to unlock forge pieces in req packs, only for console or some shit like that

Don't give them any ideas

So EG is scrimming the least of any team right now? That's not good if they want to solidify their spot in the top 6-4.....

halo on pc is the only way we are ever going to be relevant again in the esports world

it's so crucial 

maniac with that hot .74 k/d, i'm glad his very intelligent choice to switch to claw is paying dividends  :kappa:

http://www.halodatahive.com/Scrim/Summary/23

what's the point of using claw in this game?

Stop it just stop it.

The amateur teams have to prove the talent pool is large enough to warrant expanding the league

Yes, denial beat optic in one series but then lost it when it mattered. If they cannot beat optic (who were virtually an embarrassment) then we do not have a strong enough pool of players to warrant a 10 team pro league.

The pro league should be about showcasing the best halo teams not every average joe with some notorious halo figure on it.

Str8 sick, RyanNoob, Rammy and I really don't care who if they want to regain their spot, then they have

Stop pretending that these orgs pull in thousands of viewers, they don't. The level of competition has to remain as high as humanly possible to generate interest.

Not once in any of my posts did I mention viewers, but let's talk about it.

Do you really want to go on record saying that the most competitive matches brought in soooo many more viewers this season? That it makes a huge difference? We were hovering around 5k-7k for pretty much the entirety of the second half of the season. I'm not sure we can get any worse but then again, were about to host the second straight pro league season so we'll see.

The point of expanding the league is to give more players an incentive to play, more orgs an incentive to join Halo, more exposure due sponsors and social media presence, and help alleviate some of the negatives that pro leagues can have on smaller esports scenes.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 11

Sure.

If we are talking to contributing to the growth of an esport or in this case Halo, specifically, you can take many different routes. I think at the most basic level it comes down to being an "active fan" which can take many different forms.

A "passive fan" to me would be someone who follows the scene in some way: watching broadcasts, player streams or YT videos, going to events as a spectator, reading Twitter, forums, websites - consuming it, if you will. And even in that way you are contributing to the growth, as you are a "plus 1" on everything. But you are not creating or stimulating any further growth beyond this plus 1. 

Being active in the community will have this furthering effect. Based on what it is that you do the magnitude of the effect will change. Below a list off the top of my head how you can be active and what effects it can have. Note that there is a lot of interdependencies in the below which I won’t necessarily all explore.

Some of the easiest forms of activity probably occur without people actually realizing it: retweeting players/TOs/developers, replying to tweets, using the hashtag, sharing, commenting  on or liking Facebook posts, posting on the forums - any actual interaction on social media. Telling your friends online or in person about it. Things like this help increase the reach of Halo and HCS as more and more people get to know about it, and potentially tune in and/or play and/or become an active fan themselves. 

Another very simple thing is playing the game (and telling your friends about it). For obvious reasons, this is another very fundamental thing to the growth of an esport. More players = more potential people interested in watching the game (surely you have people who watch the game, but don't actually play, but I think they are the minority).

Stronger attendance and participation of players in LAN/online tournaments will also mean that the organizers have a reason and/or opportunity to put more resources behind it. This can mean: more tournaments, more prize money, more sponsors (again positively impacting all of these), better setups (broadcast, stages, stations, staff), more bells and whistles, and ultimately even more jobs.

More involved examples are writing about it, podcasting or even creating video content (for which I would be useless). I think today, more than ever, tools and manuals are available to create this kind of content. You can start your own blog. You can do interviews. You can write for a community website. You can create videos: montages, discussions, news, recaps. You can do artwork or infographics. You can create maps. You can stream.

All of these will again result in more people being exposed to Halo, getting themselves involved etc.

Other examples of really involved and time-consuming activity are the start-up and creation of projects/websites such as Beyond, HCS Fantasy, HCS Live Tweets, etc. Or even starting your own (professional) team (if you’ve got the cash for it). The least number of people will actually go to this extent, however, if successful, these can have a massively positive impact for the growth of Halo.

Saucey, Cyren, Moses, Ponza and others will better be able to speak to this part.

A word on growth.

There are a lot of different metrics you can use to measure growth and I have already mentioned a lot of them. Almost all of them (if not all) are interlinked in some way. Some things cause others to grow. Some simply correlate with others. It is a virtuous cycle.

Among causes and results of growth are: player base, prize money, number of tournaments, number of websites, amount of video content created, number of sponsors, larger venues, being on TV, social media reach, etc.

Some of it can, at least in parts, be achieved organically. Through a great game and people’s passion for it, i.e. you don’t have to put up the biggest prize pool – people will want to watch for the games themselves. Through strong community interactions, etc.

Other parts will need more financial resources, cause guess what: shit costs money for companies. More prize money, obviously. Cooler stages, fancier productions, video content for the broadcasts, and more tournaments fall into this category.

But with a more active and growing fan base, everyone has more reason to put more money in.

I like your thinking, I've made about 100+ videos from Halo 4- Halo 5 on my YouTube channel I tried more to do motivational/Coaching content. But I allowed myself to get discourage and now I'm spending more time trying to better my skills with editing software. I have about a list with more 100x different things I can do and make it halo related but now I know why I'm doing it and it's not just for me, but to help the community here and Inspire the community I grew up in, A lot of them on this island are very closed minded and have no vision, if I can succeed at this and just enjoy doing what I love I can set a example here and home for people. Just gotta work effectively to be honest. Wish me some luck, I plan to keep it entertaining ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not once in any of my posts did I mention viewers, but let's talk about it.

Do you really want to go on record saying that the most competitive matches brought in soooo many more viewers this season? That it makes a huge difference? We were hovering around 5k-7k for pretty much the entirety of the second have of the season. I'm not sure we can get any worse but then again, were about to host the second straight pro league season so we'll see.

Right I didn't really want to discuss viewership but I will bite

Viewership discrepancies happen in virtually all e-sports leagues, it happens in cod and it happens in halo, hell the cod stream peaks at like 15k or less sometimes (until optic plays). There isn't much on the line, it isn't on at a reasonable time or day where all viewers (across the globe) can easily stay up and watch all the matches. This shit happens

You are ruining the integrity of the league by insisting we add weaker teams into the pro league. Elevate were not very competitive against the two worst pro league teams. They would be molly whopped if they were in the pro league. If you can't beat optic, you have virtually no chance at beating anyone else.

Paid £3 for an international plan just to catch up on the forums, disappointing lack of memes lads.

Step it up.

International memes cost extra

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd like to point out as an aspiring AM, there is one very good reason why AMs struggle to get on the level of pros.

Pro Halo is a CLUB. They do not talk to, play with, or scrim against others. I have been grinding this game out for months and months competing in every AM tournament around with some fairly solid squads. And this entire time I've played two pro teams in two scrims. One because I was friends with one of the pro players the other because E6 got black listed a few months back so they agreed to playing AM teams.

Give AMs a bloody chance and you'd be surprised. If rammy didn't get to sub into pro league nobody here would have ever known or talked about him, when in reality he's always been that good.

This is the best argument for a larger league imo. I've always thought the top ams would be able to improve more effectively if they played pros more often, and I think people might be surprised by the way the bottom teams develop over the course of a season.

I don't really understand the "but that'll erase all interest in the Challenger league" argument either tbh. I don't think Challenger league gets tons of spectators as is, but I also don't think it'd be any less exciting watching the 9-10th teams in Pro League fight for their seeds at relegation, you'd still have your top ams and everything. Honestly I think a 10 team league would help a lot with letting new talent break into the scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1

just to play devils advocate, why would the pros help you improve when you are trying to take their spots?

doesn't seem in their best interest to help you practice 

I'd want to have to play the best of the best no matter who they are and if I could do that by giving AMs a chance to grind vs my team I would purely because I want more competition in the pro league and give more kids the will power to continue to grind in hopes to take down to best. "If it is to be it is up to me" they got to scrim once every blue moon wouldn't hurt a pro team chances in my opinion. I believe its more about getting into bad habits, I think it's more for the quality of the scrim... So with that your best chance is to meet them in online tournaments or MM and even then in MM do they really try sometimes..

You are ruining the integrity of the league by insisting we add weaker teams into the pro league. Elevate were not very competitive against the two worst pro league teams. They would be molly whopped if they were in the pro league. If you can't beat optic, you have virtually no chance at beating anyone else.

Liquid was def. not the 2nd worse team in the pro league at the relegation tournament. Not to mention, ALG lost to Optic and E6 almost did as well last season. 

Ruining the integrity of the league? What integrity does it have? lol. Our average viewership was 5k for the last 2-3 weeks and our finals tournament had less viewers than the CWL's pool draft...

• Downvote (-1) 9

Liquid was def. not the 2nd worse team in the pro league at the relegation tournament. Not to mention, ALG lost to Optic and E6 almost did as well last season. 

Ruining the integrity of the league? What integrity does it have? lol. Our average viewership was 5k for the last 2-3 weeks and our finals tournament had less viewers than the CWL's pool draft...

Competitive integrity =/= viewer count

They're separate (equally important) issues.

• Upvote (+1) 3

just to play devils advocate, why would the pros help you improve when you are trying to take their spots?

doesn't seem in their best interest to help you practice 

Do golfers love or hate Tiger Woods? He was winning every tournament, none of the others players were winning as often. But, he changed the sport, the prize money went WAY WAY UP. Everyone got richer because of him. I think a pro should look to improving the scene rather than preserving their own "status".

• Upvote (+1) 1