CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Well keep in mind that you usually wont get a quick kill with LG due to armor and the fact that you typically wouldnt take a full kill with just LG. it can be a crazy fast kill at 120 dps but hitting every cell on a person that is dodging is extremely difficult

For sure. I like that though: it has situational uses where it's the only weapon you can use to get any reasonable damage at all, and then every once in a while you get a godly 1 second kill when you perfectly predict the motion.

An alternative comparison might be the alt-fire for the UT99 pulse rifle, which was similarly filthy when you had perfect aim.

What is this Thread right now? I loved coming here in the morning checking scrim results, stats and rumours about roster changes. It was part of my morning routine but the off topic shit and the 343 bashing (allthough I have the same opinion like most of you about them) makes me not want to come back anymore.

There is nothing more annoying than posts like this. There's nothing to discuss because of the terrible format. The Vegas tournament is 10x less exciting without Optic there. All pro league matches are done. Team changes aren't happening for a while.
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Conspiracy?

343 has centralized Halo Esports. Trying to run a tournament w/o 343s blessing is prohibitively difficult and expensive. Hell its hard to host a local event among friends. 343 hand picks everyone they want invilved in the scene, and makes it nearly impossible for anyone to operate outside of HCS. this It's not a conspiracy theory it's a fact. They'd rather have a tournament at a Korean pop convention than TALK to mlg about Halo5. << These two things are not related

It is as difficult as any of the games I listed above, all of which have their own major events outside developer ran projects. Nothing is stopping MLG from running a major Halo LAN, I mean they're running a CoD and Overwatch event in tandem, both of which require online access AND they have nothing to do with their scenes respective developer run leagues. They simply don't want to without being funded.

Why would 343 want monopolize Halo Esports? It's simple: during development, they banked on the idea that they could capitalize on the ad revenue that accompanies being a successful Esports. And having an online focus would reduce operating costs.

As far as being "down 3 million", that would be irrelevant if the league were popular enough to generate ad revenue and if the Req purchases provides enough additional revenue.

It would be irrelevant also if money grew on trees but it doesn't, thus it's relevant. Halo esports hasn't been a success despite the fact they're hard carrying the fuck out of the game. They've done decently (highest conc viewers, most interest from top orgs) but no where near enough to justify the money they've put into the competitive scene. 

343 funds everything because with the decisions they made and continue to make there is no other way. They THOUGHT it would pay off, but it hasn't.

Also why are we comparing halo to sc2, and LoL? Those Esports were built around online play (complete with good networking).

What about Overwatch and CoD?

Edit: for the record, there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with going the centralized route, but less than poor execution will stunt growth if there's no avenue for others to demonstrate a better way to operate... which is, again, the exact opposite of cultivation.

At some point you've just got to accept the fact that nothing is holding back large tournament organizers from running the game other than there is no real reason to invest.

no... just no.

Universal settings were accepted by the competitive community?? Like what?  Radar and balance issues have been controversial since launch day.  Requests for better avenues for testing have been requested too.  ??? I don't even know how you have this opinion if you have been paying attention.

I've been here for a decent amount of time mate. Controversial they may have been but people always bit their tongue under the argument that universal settings would benefit the community more than it would hurt it.

Refusing to work with the TO that actually built competitive halo in the first place. How could that NOT be an effort to monopolize the scene? Your own argument actually reinforces what i was saying...

Again all I can say is not working with the tournament organizer that actually monopolized Halo (i.e. binding contracts). Nothing against MLG, what they did was great but I could see why if you wanted a diverse scene you wouldn't give the reigns straight back to the previous emperor.

Your explanation for excluding LAN support is wrong.  That's why i included it in the list.  All the games you included as a counter-argument are not as latency dependent, and are you really using CoD as an example there?  You neglected to include games like CS and Gears of War which DO have LAN support, or at least the ability to set up a local server.

I play and follow CS at a decent level. GOW is irrelevant at the current time, LAN access doesn't change the fact they're irrelevant in the current esports scene (outside of being given some money).

And excluding pros from having real input into the game absolutely, 100%, has to do with tournament monopolization.  Tournament setup comprises everything from maps, gametypes, settings, balance, TOs, LAN locations, number of lans, prize pools, advertising, etc etc.  The pro input that has actually been utilized at this point has basically been, "wow, these new changes suck. revert back to what you had before."  They were not consulted before making changes, and the consulting that they did with them shortly after has had no impact on the current gamestate.

It still has all to do with the game and nothing to do with tournaments. Tournament organizers are free to run Halo events.

And it's not wasted money if they execute properly.  it will drive future sales which will more than make up for it.  But again, only if executed properly which to this point has been "meh".

So what you're saying is that it is wasted money... Which is what I said.

Red.

Tbh i have no clue. Looking at other esports forums, it sounds like esl can be a bitch to work with as theyre pretty controlling.

ESL Social Media VS. MLG Social Media

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4d6xy2/esl_social_media_vs_mlg_social_media/?ref=search_posts

UK CS - ESL is a joke

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4afb10/uk_cs_esl_is_a_joke/?ref=search_posts

The firt post is an esl employee taking shots at @ and the second is a complaint about how esl ran a csgo tourney in uk. The complaint about admins granting wins to a quitting team seems to be a common problem looking at reddit.

This will never be known since no one is forthcoming with information. Hopefully this season will teach 343 that they arent able to run in person events without a TO such as mlg and that can be something else thats fixed soon

A few admin fuck ups in the UKCS scene (I'm from the UKCS scene btw) does not do what they have done for that scene justice.

ESL communication. - https://twitter.com/ESLCS

ESL in terms of CSGO:

Future announced events:

• Jul 07-Jul 09 ESL One: Cologne 2017

Current Event:

• Oct 26-Oct 30 ESL Pro League Season 4 - Finals - $600,000

2016:

• Sep 30-Oct 02 ESL One: New York 2016 - $250,000
  • [Online League] Aug 17-Oct 13 ESL Pro League Season 4 - Europe $75,000
  • [Online League] Aug 17-Oct 13 ESL Pro League Season 4 - North America $75,000
  • Jul 05-Jul 10 ESL One: Cologne 2016 - $1,000,000
  • May 11-May 15 ESL Pro League Season 3 - Finals - $512,000
  • Feb 19-Feb 21 ESL Expo Barcelona - $83,490
  • [Online League] Feb 09-Apr 26 ESL Pro League Season 3 - Europe - $119,000
  • [Online League] Feb 09-Apr 26 ESL Pro League Season 3 - North America - $119,000

2015:

• Dec 10-Dec 13 ESL ESEA Pro League Season II - Finals - $250,000
  • [Online League] Sep 15-Nov 19 ESL ESEA Pro League Season 2 - North America - $125,000
  • [Online League] Sep 15-Nov 17 ESL ESEA Pro League Season 2 - Europe $125,000
  • Sep 10-Sep 12 ESL ESEA Pro League Invitational - $250,000
  • Aug 20-Aug 23 ESL One: Cologne 2015 - $250,000
  • Jul 02-Jul 05 ESL ESEA Pro League Season I - Finals - $250,000
  • [Online League] May 04-Jun 22 ESL ESEA Pro League Season 1 - North America - $125,000
  • [Online League] May 04-Jun 24 ESL ESEA Pro League Season 1 - Europe - $125,000
  • Mar 12-Mar 15 ESL One: Katowice 2015 - $250,000

2014:

• [Online League] Dec 03-Apr 12 ESL Pro League I ESL - $48,000
  • Aug 14-Aug 17 ESL One: Cologne 2014 - $250,000
  • Mar 13-Mar 16 ESL Major Series One: Katowice 2014 - $250,000

Green are the ESL ran developer backed CSGO majors. I stopped going back from 2014 because Katowice was their first 'Major' (arguably the best and a catalyst to massive expectations for majors) but they were there before that when the game was dirt and needed lifting.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 9

He shot at me to get my attention so I could give him the sniper.  Once.

nq3ssJr.gif

That was a sick no-scope!! :D

• Upvote (+1) 4

That was a sick no-scope!! :D

Hey, that was a no-scope without H5's absurdly high aim assist, since he was shooting a teammate.

That snipe WAS almost as difficult as the Halo 3 Sniper.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I literally created an account after 11 months of lurking this thread just to neg you. There is so much misinformation in this post it's crazy.

Welcome.

Maybe you could elaborate:

• CSGO tournament information - facts.
  • MLG monopolizing comp Halo through player / team contracts during their reign - facts.
  • Gears being a low tier esport with only recent increased relevance through developer funding - facts.
  • Most of the currently top esports using online play instead of true offline LAN - facts.
  • This community in particular supporting universal settings from the start of Halo 5 and only recently (past 2-3 months) changing their minds - facts.

Been around the MLG scene since 2007, been a moderator on this site for the first 2 years from it's inception. It might not be nice to hear but I'm not going to be part of the death by circle jerk that's going on at the moment.

A large swath of this community doesn't, hasn't, and never has supported universal settings.  Many have been on the no radar/no autos bandwagon since before the game even finished beta.

You can look up older exchanges between me (pro-US) and My Namez Beast (anti-US) for more support of this.

(Edit: It looks really weird to shorten that to US.  Makes me sound like I'm calling MNB unpatriotic.  Damn Commies.)

On balance though? At the time a large portion of the pro community were vouching for it, more than enough people on here were arguing for it. I'm not saying the settings were popular or embraced, merely that they were 'accepted' in general terms.

The very fact you can argue the toss as to the extent to which the community supported these settings is enough for the point to stand but really it's w/e.

At some point you've just got to accept the fact that nothing is holding back large tournament organizers from running the game other than there is no real reason to invest.

Man you must be delusional.

Why the hell would business minded, major TO go through all of the hassle of throwing a major Halo 5 tournament WITHOUT access to 343s local servers? And WITHOUT Req pack $ subsidies? And WITHOUT connection to the HCS brand? If there weren't 343 induced technical hurdles that made the logistics overly complicated SINCE LAUNCH, we MIGHT have seen that happen

back when there was excitement around this Esport.

However, any TO who MIGHT'VE taken on this risk was presented with a game that has no local MP and shotty networking. The reason that there is "no real reason to invest" is because 343s decision making has made 3rd party investment extremely risky...

How is 343/ESL piggy backing off of a Korean Pop convention irrelevant? It drives home the point that their absolute control over the Esports scene is more important than actually having quality venues.

The fact that they $3 million dollar investment into HCS prize pools doesn't disprove that they were hoping to capitalize on a monopoly. It just proves that they are too incompetent to make this monopoly work. They were hoping that their investment coupled with their total control would translate into a popular, ad supported Esport... but their gamble failed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dark times ahead for Halo, my friends.

Unplugged and packed up my Xbox earlier this week and don't plan on unpacking it until Red Dead Redemption 2 sometime next year.  Will be building a gaming PC over the course of the next couple months.  Here's to hoping that Halo 6 isn't a complete failure and that I'll be able to play it on PC.

I'll still be active here and will attempt to keep up with HCS, but I won't be on XBL anymore as my subscription expires in 2 days and can't justify a renewal at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Dark times ahead For Halo, my friends.

Unplugged and packed up my Xbox earlier this week and don't plan on unpacking it until Red Dead Redemption 2 sometime next year.  Will be building a gaming PC over the course of the next couple months.  Here's to hoping that Halo 6 isn't a complete failure and that I'll be able to play it on PC.

I'll still be active here and will attempt to keep up with HCS, but I won't be on XBL anymore as my subscription expires in 2 days and can't justify a renewal at this point.

Don't do this. We can work it out. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Actually the outer reticle is slightly larger and the weapon is a bit more inaccurate to make up for the RoF boost.

Oh I didn't notice I've only used it a handful of times in btb. That being said it feel like it punishes mid range auto usage more then the current pistol. Now because this big team take that with a grain of salt. But if it's in the game why not test and see if it creates that close range auro mid range pistol far range rifle game 343 tried to creak

Actually the outer reticle is slightly larger and the weapon is a bit more inaccurate to make up for the RoF boost.

Oh I didn't notice I've only used it a handful of times in btb. That being said it feel like it punishes mid range auto usage more then the current pistol. Now because this big team take that with a grain of salt. But if it's in the game why not test and see if it creates that close range auro mid range pistol far range rifle game 343 tried to creak

To lighten things up a bit, here's a prompt Elamite and T2 have to read before every cast  :simms:

m5bE6PB.png

You forgot something for T2:

Bad Play: "Mmmmmmm"

• Upvote (+1) 9

Hey guys, Ske7ch just made a thread on here. He's the new community manager. I know this thread hasn't been as cheery lately, but this is his first time here so I think it would be good to try and point out some of the better more constructive posts about the HCS or Halo in general. Let's at least give it a chance.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/14647-ske7ch-reporting-for-duty/

link

Worth noting we don't actually know if it's him yet. I've reached out on Twitter awaiting a response. I'm sure an admin can check IP/email address too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay I'm sorry but I can't hold this in any longer. Very rarely do I post but I can't stay silent.

I'm a day one Halo player. I got the game and Xbox the day it came out when I was 8 years old. Played every game for hours and hours and competed all the way up to H5. The state of this game is absolutely pathetic. I'm not talking about competitive settings, or spawns, or radar or any of that. I'm talking about how it's nearly impossible to play 4 or 5 games without myself getting disconnected, or someone else getting disconnected.

I'll admit it myself I'm a casual player now. I keep up with HCS, I have a lot of friends that compete both AM and pro, and even an org owner. Most of my time is spent grinding for req points so I can unlock everything, that's really all I play for now. But as a Halo fan it is absolutely EMBARASSING how little 343 cares about fixing the problems with the game itself. I've tried to play three Warzone Firefight games this morning thinking the Warzone servers are still fine, I can play without issue. I've been disconnected THREE OUT OF THREE TIMES and successfully wasted 30 minutes of my day.

343, Microsoft, Xbox, whoever, please I am begging you to fix this game. Quit pretending everything is fine and just admit something was screwed up and actually work to fix it. I love Halo. I love the lore, the games, the all nighters with friends playing/LANning. You've had millions of people supporting you and your franchise and it honestly feels like you've abandoned us. I HATE being negative about this and ranting over a forum that I know none of y'all will read, but please help us.

You have tons of passionate fans that for some reason we still support this franchise and hold out hope. Please swallow your pride and fix this game. I'm on my last leg here as I'm sure many fans are. I know in the big scope of things losing one person like me isn't a big deal. But it's more than that, it's not just me that feels this way. It's thousands and thousands of people just like me, who love the world of Halo that has been created and has been a wonderful thing for 15 years now.

Don't abandon us. Please help us to fix this game. This is my first and last plea.

/emotional rant

I always wondered how Phil approves the millions that go to 343 yet the game is in such a bad state. Bungie made bad gameplay decisions before, but they never left their games in an unplayable state. 

I always wondered how Phil approves the millions that go to 343 yet the game is in such a bad state. Bungie made bad gameplay decisions before, but they never left their games in an unplayable state. 

It would be pretty hard to say that bungie wasn't simply better at everything. Except for perhaps esports support. That's probably just the difference between a studio that was built up through their own successes and ideas vs a studio created to maintain an already existing brand. Bungie had to do well where 343 just has to exist.

• Upvote (+1) 1