CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't have much hope that the GL will function like it did in Reach. Its 343, they've shown they like changing absolutely everything, no matter how small/insignificant just for the sake of changing it.

Would it work though?

343 is consistent about changing only the things that bungie (or mlg) did first. If it was something they were involved in they might feel that they don't need to change it. So maybe since they took reach over at the end they'll feel okay leaving it alone.

I didn't play reach at all so idk.

Slightly disappointed abilities are turned on for the anniversary playlist, was hoping for a stronger throwback but gotta say the maps are amazing. Anyone else finding Halo 5 really dark or is it just my screen? The more I've seen people mention it as of late the more I'm noticing it and the anniversary maps seem pretty dark, comparing this to the Beta/H2/3 at least, could just be me.

Yeah I'm pretty torn about it as well.

I wanted classic halo out of this classic playlist, but the maps are actually really good- the traditional approach to halo map design works better than 343's "lane" approach.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nah

This is the exact opposite of cultivating a scene. This has been about 343i monopolizing competitive halo. Every TO that's wants to be involved in Halo Esports either needs 343s involvement or they need to pray to the networking gods that XBL or 343s servers don't shit the bed. The fact that 343 has to bribe no-name TOs with Streaming rights (at the expense of HCS' exposure) is a testament to how much of a failure their attempt at control has been.

If H5 had LAN support, or (even better) the ability to use an additional Xbox as a local server (seriously why isn't this a thing), then we could accuse 343 of trying to cultivate a scene. These small TOs could have had any number of local tournaments since launch- which would have had better turnouts, and generated excitement and participation for official LANs... you know, actually allowing the scene to grow, even if ESL and 343 did stupid shit.

Edit: no disrespect to the smaller TOs currently involved. You've all done great jobs.

Yes it would be better if there was true LAN capabilities for Halo5, no this is not the exact opposite of trying to cultivate the scene. LAN mode is not the be-all and end-all; all Blizzard games (sc2, Overwatch, Hearthstone), League of Legends and Call of Duty (to my knowledge) do not have offline LAN play so you're talking about a large percentage of top esports titles.

Go re-read your post it sounds like some conspiracy shit. Why in the living fuck would they want to monopolize competitive Halo in the first place, they're down about $3m from running it so far and we've not even had a second Worlds. 343 funds the online and offline circuit because they have to, plain and simple. If they stop for the next game, even with the addition of LAN mode, the game would continue on but the competitive scene would be dead on arrival.

Because it would have a crazy fast minimum kill time if you could keep it perfectly on your target, but a much higher average kill time due to zero aim assist? Have you really never used the LG from Quake

Well keep in mind that you usually wont get a quick kill with LG due to armor and the fact that you typically wouldnt take a full kill with just LG. it can be a crazy fast kill at 120 dps but hitting every cell on a person that is dodging is extremely difficult
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Not at home. Are there ranks in anniversary playlist ? Is it gonna stay or it's just temporary thing ? What maps are in there ?

Unranked. It's 343, nothing good stays. Beaver Creek, rat race, chill out, hang em high, and a couple more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes it would be better if there was true LAN capabilities for Halo5, no this is not the exact opposite of trying to cultivate the scene. LAN mode is not the be-all and end-all; all Blizzard games (sc2, Overwatch, Hearthstone), League of Legends and Call of Duty (to my knowledge) do not have offline LAN play so you're talking about a large percentage of top esports titles.

to be fair, ping doesnt really matter in 3 out of the 5 games you listed there

Go re-read your post it sounds like some conspiracy shit. Why in the living fuck would they want to monopolize competitive Halo in the first place, they're down about $3m from running it so far and we've not even had a second Worlds. 343 funds the online and offline circuit because they have to, plain and simple. If they stop for the next game, even with the addition of LAN mode, the game would continue on but the competitive scene would be dead on arrival.

??? Everything they have done up to this point signals that they want to monopolize it.

Refusing to separate the settings

working with small LAN TO's that are non threatening (ie not even speaking with MLG about it)

Excluding LAN support

Excluding pro's from having real input into the game.

As far as the other examples of games that don't have lan... i dont give a shit about that.  They're ALL wrong. It doesn't make 343 right.

??? Everything they have done up to this point signals that they want to monopolize it.

Refusing to separate the settings - nothing to do with tournament monopolization, also was consciously accepted by the comp community

working with small LAN TO's that are non threatening (ie not even speaking with MLG about it) - you mean not working with the previous TO who monopolized the scene? hmm....

Excluding LAN support - explained previously

Excluding pro's from having real input into the game. - nothing to do with tournament monopolization

As far as the other examples of games that don't have lan... i dont give a shit about that.  They're ALL wrong. It doesn't make 343 right.

OK... but it would explain why they didn't put any resources into it in the first place.

Red.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Conspiracy?

343 has centralized Halo Esports. Trying to run a tournament w/o 343s blessing is prohibitively difficult and expensive. Hell its hard to host a local event among friends. 343 hand picks everyone they want invilved in the scene, and makes it nearly impossible for anyone to operate outside of HCS. this It's not a conspiracy theory it's a fact. They'd rather have a tournament at a Korean pop convention than TALK to mlg about Halo5.

Why would 343 want monopolize Halo Esports? It's simple: during development, they banked on the idea that they could capitalize on the ad revenue that accompanies being a successful Esports. And having an online focus would reduce operating costs.

As far as being "down 3 million", that would be irrelevant if the league were popular enough to generate ad revenue and if the Req purchases provides enough additional revenue.

343 funds everything because with the decisions they made and continue to make there is no other way. They THOUGHT it would pay off, but it hasn't.

Also why are we comparing halo to sc2, and LoL? Those Esports were built around online play (complete with good networking).

Edit: for the record, there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with going the centralized route, but less than poor execution will stunt growth if there's no avenue for others to demonstrate a better way to operate... which is, again, the exact opposite of cultivation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Red.

no... just no.

Universal settings were accepted by the competitive community?? Like what?  Radar and balance issues have been controversial since launch day.  Requests for better avenues for testing have been requested too.  ??? I don't even know how you have this opinion if you have been paying attention.

Refusing to work with the TO that actually built competitive halo in the first place. How could that NOT be an effort to monopolize the scene? Your own argument actually reinforces what i was saying....

Your explanation for excluding LAN support is wrong.  That's why i included it in the list.  All the games you included as a counter-argument are not as latency dependent, and are you really using CoD as an example there?  You neglected to include games like CS and Gears of War which DO have LAN support, or at least the ability to set up a local server.

And excluding pros from having real input into the game absolutely, 100%, has to do with tournament monopolization.  Tournament setup comprises everything from maps, gametypes, settings, balance, TOs, LAN locations, number of lans, prize pools, advertising, etc etc.  The pro input that has actually been utilized at this point has basically been, "wow, these new changes suck. revert back to what you had before."  They were not consulted before making changes, and the consulting that they did with them shortly after has had no impact on the current gamestate.

And it's not wasted money if they execute properly.  it will drive future sales which will more than make up for it.  But again, only if executed properly which to this point has been "meh".

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What is this Thread right now? I loved coming here in the morning checking scrim results, stats and rumours about roster changes. It was part of my morning routine but the off topic shit and the 343 bashing (allthough I have the same opinion like most of you about them) makes me not want to come back anymore. 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

What is this Thread right now? I loved coming here in the morning checking scrim results, stats and rumours about roster changes. It was part of my morning routine but the off topic shit and the 343 bashing (allthough I have the same opinion like most of you about them) makes me not want to come back anymore. 

Do teams really scrim that often anymore?

Rosters can't be changed until towards the end of next month.

The game has constant glaring issues, but hey we got a weapon being added that won't be tested for competitive play.

---------------

I get people want drama and awesome Halo news, but the reality is we are probably in a pretty dark place until Worlds news, MLG is back or H3A gets announced.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lol we are going to have a lot more dead time for the next few weeks, other than this weekend with the LAN.  I think arguments about TO's, competitive settings, and 343s involvement in competitive play is about as "on topic" as it will be for a while.  Scrim results just aren't exciting right now with no matches that actually matter being played.

• Upvote (+1) 4

working with small LAN TO's that are non threatening (ie not even speaking with MLG about it)

I cant really speak to the rest of your post, but i wonder if mlg being shut out was part of the contract w esl? I dont really want to defend 343s decision making but that is the only thing that seems to make sense. Mlg had pulled off very successful xgames and worlds events so i see no other reason that they wouldve been dropped as a TO. Didnt @ say that the decision to move on from mlg was made behind mlg's back?

Honestly I don't think ecen mlg can save this game, but it definitely has the best shot of doing so

I cant really speak to the rest of your post, but i wonder if mlg being shut out was part of the contract w esl? I dont really want to defend 343s decision making but that is the only thing that seems to make sense. Mlg had pulled off very successful xgames and worlds events so i see no other reason that they wouldve been dropped as a TO. Didnt @ say that the decision to move on from mlg was made behind mlg's back?

Honestly I don't think ecen mlg can save this game, but it definitely has the best shot of doing so

Maybe, but i don't see why that would be a requirement.  ESL is running the pro league and honestly they are doing a good job with that.  Issues with the pro league have to do with the game state, not the production or anything like that.  I give ESL credit for that especially with the improvements made from season 1 to season 2.  non-esl entities are already running the LAN events, which is what MLG would be commissioned to do, so i dont see where the conflict would be there.  Edit: or how that separation of responsibilities couldn't be easily negotiated

• Upvote (+1) 2

---------------

I get people want drama and awesome Halo news, but the reality is we are probably in a pretty dark place until Worlds news, MLG is back or H3A gets announced.

Did they release any Pro League Sn 3 news? Was anything noteworthy in the broadcast last night?

Did they release any Pro League Sn 3 news? Was anything noteworthy in the broadcast last night?

Nope.  The only noteworthy thing that happened was that they tried to play some customs with the throwback settings and couldn't get the game started.  Server issues for all to see.

Otherwise it was just nostalgia and a tease about the upcoming grenade launcher they are adding, which we already knew about.  No season 3 news, no worlds news, no updates on any of the other problems plaguing the game right now.  Basically nothing substantive.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It does seem like ESL's contract does allow them some say in which TOs can participate in HCS.

During the great Timo v Adam debate during season one, it was clear that ESLs stance was:

Other TOs could participate in HCS, but Pros couldn't attend. Any event that was open to Pros would have to be unsactioned. MLG (understandibly) balked at the idea that they'd have to either assume a bunch of risk running unsactioned tourneys or be relegated to running AM-Only events.

With season two, ESLs stance appears to have softened, and aligned with MLGs... but MLG still hasn't gotten a phone call....

So something is definately afoot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe, but i don't see why that would be a requirement. ESL is running the pro league and honestly they are doing a good job with that. Issues with the pro league have to do with the game state, not the production or anything like that. I give ESL credit for that especially with the improvements made from season 1 to season 2. non-esl entities are already running the LAN events, which is what MLG would be commissioned to do, so i dont see where the conflict would be there. Edit: or how that separation of responsibilities couldn't be easily negotiated

Tbh i have no clue. Looking at other esports forums, it sounds like esl can be a bitch to work with as theyre pretty controlling.

ESL Social Media VS. MLG Social Media

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4d6xy2/esl_social_media_vs_mlg_social_media/?ref=search_posts

UK CS - ESL is a joke

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4afb10/uk_cs_esl_is_a_joke/?ref=search_posts

The firt post is an esl employee taking shots at @ and the second is a complaint about how esl ran a csgo tourney in uk. The complaint about admins granting wins to a quitting team seems to be a common problem looking at reddit.

This will never be known since no one is forthcoming with information. Hopefully this season will teach 343 that they arent able to run in person events without a TO such as mlg and that can be something else thats fixed soon

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have been out of the loop for a week or so but there seems to be much talk on twitter about EU pro's going to Vegas this weekend.  Are there EU pro teams actually playing?  That would be some next level of awesome! 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No it's the newer Pistol it has the Sam reticle as the basic pistol but has a higher rate of fire and larger clip. It's called the combat pistol I believe

Actually the outer reticle is slightly larger and the weapon is a bit more inaccurate to make up for the RoF boost.