CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I have to note that some gametypes/maps in H2A people would turtle and gameplay would slow to a crawl even without radar. Shrine and Lockdown constantly turned into this. Certain gametypes on certain maps really have this problem regardless of radar IMO. I feel like there are some gametypes/maps where I rarely see any crouching or slow gameplay if you want to win (think truth flag is pretty fast pace IMO). While others it is far more prevalent (slayer and eden/empire come to mind).

Also, we have to be realistic about 343 when discussing it. The best you will get is a single change of radar off. Spartan abilities, sprint, grenades, base movement, health, strafe, and so on will be the same. It will not be "evolved" settings so hopefully people aren't comparing it to that.

My main concern with only changing radar is that, with sprint, spartan abilities (charge especially), and the layout of many of the maps, that INITIALLY we will see a significant amount more encounters where players are sprinting around corners and end up spartan charging/meleeing each other...essentially a lot more "close encounters" (and close encounters typically bring out more auto usage). Which is the opposite of what I believe most people want which is more precision weapon/less auto usage (which statistically precisions still accounts for drastically higher % of kills). Plus it will further exacerbate the ghost melee issues and the frustration of constant "trades". I'd even wager it might increase the usage/effectiveness of splinters. THEN once that goes on for a while and players get annoyed by it they will start sitting back and turtle. They won't push and we end up with a lot of gameplay like Shrine and Lockdown. Now, that might be counteracted with weapon placements and emphasis on controlling areas, but that's not an easy task for them. And nothing is going to improve the map design at this point.

Ultimately, I'd like to see it tested at a high level for a while, but ultimately (although I hate to admit it) I think I'll end up agreeing with APG, Lethul, and others that have expressed that they don't think it will yield the results so many here think it will.

I expect I'll get negs for saying that, but it is what it is (won't let some negs deter me from speaking my opinion). I haven't spoken on the matter because people are so passionate about it and I'm just not. I respect each sides views on the matter. But unless it is tested at a high level for at least a season in THIS GAME (H5) I really don't think anyone can say what the result will be of simply turning off radar. All we can do is hypothesis and speculate. This is why when TB ran the no radar Pro scrim I gathered stats as best I could and posted them, because I believe the only way to get to what is right is to look at the data and remove emotion from it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Isn't there a Warzone armour mod that already turns the radar into spartan abilities only?

EDIT: Yup - Advanced Sensors.

wow, I stand corrected.  is this an option you can include when creating a custom game type or in forge?

Isn't there a Warzone armour mod that already turns the radar into spartan abilities only?

EDIT: Yup - Advanced Sensors.

Best warzone mod by far

• Upvote (+1) 1

wow, I stand corrected.  is this an option you can include when creating a custom game type or in forge?

Not that I know of but I'm sure if that's in the game, it wouldn't exactly be too difficult to apply it to Arena if needed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have to note that some gametypes/maps in H2A people would turtle and gameplay would slow to a crawl even without radar. Shrine and Lockdown constantly turned into this. Certain gametypes on certain maps really have this problem regardless of radar IMO. I feel like there are some gametypes/maps where I rarely see any crouching or slow gameplay if you want to win (think truth flag is pretty fast pace IMO). While others it is far more prevalent (slayer and eden/empire come to mind).

Also, we have to be realistic about 343 when discussing it. The best you will get is a single change of radar off. Spartan abilities, sprint, grenades, base movement, health, strafe, and so on will be the same. It will not be "evolved" settings so hopefully people aren't comparing it to that.

My main concern with only changing radar is that, with sprint, spartan abilities (charge especially), and the layout of many of the maps, that INITIALLY we will see a significant amount more encounters where players are sprinting around corners and end up spartan charging/meleeing each other...essentially a lot more "close encounters" (and close encounters typically bring out more auto usage). Which is the opposite of what I believe most people want which is more precision weapon/less auto usage (which statistically precisions still accounts for drastically higher % of kills). Plus it will further exacerbate the ghost melee issues and the frustration of constant "trades". I'd even wager it might increase the usage/effectiveness of splinters. THEN once that goes on for a while and players get annoyed by it they will start sitting back and turtle. They won't push and we end up with a lot of gameplay like Shrine and Lockdown. Now, that might be counteracted with weapon placements and emphasis on controlling areas, but that's not an easy task for them. And nothing is going to improve the map design at this point.

Ultimately, I'd like to see it tested at a high level for a while, but ultimately (although I hate to admit it) I think I'll end up agreeing with APG, Lethul, and others that have expressed that they don't think it will yield the results so many here think it will.

I expect I'll get negs for saying that, but it is what it is (won't let some negs deter me from speaking my opinion). I haven't spoken on the matter because people are so passionate about it and I'm just not. I respect each sides views on the matter. But unless it is tested at a high level for at least a season in THIS GAME (H5) I really don't think anyone can say what the result will be of simply turning off radar. All we can do is hypothesis and speculate. This is why when TB ran the no radar Pro scrim I gathered stats as best I could and posted them, because I believe the only way to get to what is right is to look at the data and remove emotion from it.

Those games slowed down because Lockout and Sanctuary are dog shit maps that don't allow you to push and shouldn't be in the circuit (outside of lockout ball). I challenge anyone to name a single shooter where keeping the radar/mini map in makes it play faster.

The answer in none, ever. And if you say otherwise you don't know what you're talking about. But let's be real, Halo 5 needs better weapon placement, no radar, and better maps.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What in the world is wrong with these servers holy crap.  I'm trying so hard to stay positive with this game but holy jesus what happened with this update.  40% of games someone lags out.  How is 343 this much worse than other game developers, like as they develop a game they make it worse.  They are doing the opposite of what they are paid to do and they still have jobs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What in the world is wrong with these servers holy crap.  I'm trying so hard to stay positive with this game but holy jesus what happened with this update.  40% of games someone lags out.  How is 343 this much worse than other game developers, like as they develop a game they make it worse.  They are doing the opposite of what they are paid to do and they still have jobs.

I thought this was just me, but Elamite tweeted something too the other day. I was wanting to get back into the game but almost threw my controller when playing Colli CTF and barely escape a splinter grenade, but then teleport backwards right behind it and walk into it. Almost every game has been awful.

Surprisingly, other than long wait times MCC has been running decently well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Surprisingly, other than long wait times MCC has been running decently well.

I've been playing MCC a lot lately and have noticed this too, even though I'm in the UK the MM experience has been a lot smoother lately, search times aren't too bad either. I just wish they'd get rid of all the unpopulated playlists and fix a few annoying bugs like emblems not displaying and no party-up after games.

I'd like to see a side by side of @@Saucey's "No Radar" poll versus current Pro League standings.

We know some of OpTic are on record as not overtly supporting No Radar, as well as some of Str8, and Spartan.

Is there ANYONE outside the top 4 teams from this season that voted in favor of radar on that poll?

Snipedown is playing out of his mind, connection advantage aside. Frosty has been stepping up his game to match, they have a body disrespect battle going on right now. It's fucking entertaining.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

hopefully whatever personal reason optic can't go to Vegas isn't affecting their gameplay leading into finals. Want to see the two very best teams play at their very best

And people wonder why a lot of us wanted the radar/gameplay settings/etc. discussions kept out of this thread. I used to enjoy getting caught up in this thread.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 3

And people wonder why a lot of us wanted the radar/gameplay settings/etc. discussions kept out of this thread. I used to enjoy getting caught up in this thread.

When there's very little to discuss leading into the finals, I'm sure you'll be ok.

• Upvote (+1) 4