CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I wonder where VicX ends up.

** Crosses fingers **

Please dont retire, Please don't retire, Please don't retire.

One of my favorite players, but I could see retirement in his near future.  I just really fucking hope not.

• Upvote (+1) 2

** Crosses fingers **

Please dont retire, Please don't retire, Please don't retire.

One of my favorite players, but I could see retirement in his near future.  I just really fucking hope not.

Idk hes still really good, plus with worlds coming up i dont see why he would retire now.  He could land on a good team for sure.  I mean LG was close to qualifying for the finals with this roster as it is, a change could potentially make them a top 3-4 team moving forward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Boooooored with this stupid developer and the total ignorance and incompetance with which they're handling this side of the franchise. Just bored now, not even pissed off, just totally apathetic. Feels really sad to say that but its the honest truth. The only thing keeping my interest in this franchise alive is playing Halo 2 MM on PC thanks to the Project Cartographer mod. Everything that's come out recently is boring, played-out, mishandled or just plain broken. Way to kill off a fanbase, 343.

Vegas should be fun to watch bc my EU boys are representing but can't see it being anywhere near as good as UGC was. Now THAT felt like Halo.

Got BF1 and played 2 games and got bored, went back to Halo as usual and matched To4s and played on some wonkey servers.

Gaming feels like its in a bad spot recently.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Got BF1 and played 2 games and got bored, went back to Halo as usual and matched To4s and played on some wonkey servers.

Gaming feels like its in a bad spot recently.

Recently I've mainly switched between Overwatch and BF1. Since I work full time I can just hop in a BF1 game without worrying about leaving a game and not hurt my team any. If I wanted to grind a game I'll throw Diablo 3 up and hack and slash. Or If I just wanted to listen to music and goof around I'll play Rocket league.

My gaming habits have started devolving from playing a ton, to now finding ones that I don't need to have a time commitment for. For myself, gaming is in a decent place :D

H5 just hasn't kept my interest because of all the issues and it's generally the same shenanigans each time. Just my view tho  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 6

An idea for making the Open "LANs" relevant to the overall Pro League: 

On the weekend of a LAN, instead of having Pro League on the normal Wednesday/Thursday schedule, why not move both matches to the Friday of the LAN and still have the open bracket for Saturday/Sunday? This way, we get Pro League live and in-person (there is a lot of cool stuff that can be done with this) and still have the rest of the weekend for the open bracket tournament for everyone who wants to sign up. This would also eliminate the issue like with St. Louis where you have Pro League on Wed/Thurs, then an open LAN on Sat/Sun, then Pro League AGAIN the following Wed/Thurs which can be taxing on the players when you factor in travel times, jet lag, etc. It would also ensure that the teams get out to the events as it would become mandatory for them to be there. Did I mention live Pro League?  

Edit: For the sake of the players, instead of having Pro League on the following Wed/Thurs, why not skip that week and replace it with something fun like a few Pro 8s matches or maybe broadcast a scrim. This way, we still have content week-by-week without tiring out the players. 

Again, I'm just throwing ideas out there...  :beyond:

You know what's pretty crazy? Eco was on Luminosity and at the time was in a top 3/4 spot and he leaves or whatever happened, to team with LOL, a team that was in last place and STILL ends up placing top 4. That's a big gamble and I'm happy it worked out but that's pretty insane. He plays the game on Hard Mode. Then on the other side, EG drops VicX and both EG and LG end up in the same spot at the end.

This has been a crazy season for halo.

• Upvote (+1) 6

1. No radar isn't the problem, please stop saying that. The game will be 20x worse in 1 month if radar is taken out. This game needs radar to be in, the issue is the amount of weapons and how snowbally the game gets.

2. I will never understand why they don't stream on the Halo channel, literally baffling. 

• Upvote (+1) 30
  • Downvote (-1) 32

1. No radar isn't the problem, please stop saying that. The game will be 20x worse in 1 month if radar is taken out. This game needs radar to be in, the issue is the amount of weapons and how snowbally the game gets.

2. I will never understand why they don't stream on the Halo channel, literally baffling. 

What about an ability only radar? I do agree about the weapon snowball effect, but studies show that radar decreases the tendency to push. 

Why they don't stream on Halo channel is very confusing. MLG hosts all the Gears stuff but that's because they have a bigger Twitch reach IMO. At this point in our size we need to have everything on the main Halo Twitch. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sad truth is this, 343 made a decent game with Halo 5 but not good enough. Even if it had a proper spectator mode, servers were good, ghost melees didn't exist, etc. Halo 5 wouldn't thrive. It's an ok FPS, but it is not halo. It's just another futuristic fly around FPS that isn't very unique. Its not going to get any better during h5's lifespan.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's almost impossible to play Halo 5 here in Brazil. I love this game, really, but there aren't too many brazilians playing, and the ones who play are quitting the game because of the servers, this problem is getting worse and worse. This is the only game that I play and can really see the difference a server make. I play only because I love Halo, any other game with this kind of problem, i would have quit long ago.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What about an ability only radar? I do agree about the weapon snowball effect, but studies show that radar decreases the tendency to push. 

Why they don't stream on Halo channel is very confusing. MLG hosts all the Gears stuff but that's because they have a bigger Twitch reach IMO. At this point in our size we need to have everything on the main Halo Twitch. 

Radar doesn't decrease pushing too much IMO, it's mostly weapons holding people on a spawn, crouching to get a pick. An ability only radar would be cool to try and I wouldn't mind testing that. I'm just forewarning people that if you played these settings with no radar, in a month this game will be the slowest its ever been. Main focus needs to be balancing weapons on a map. People weren't complaining about the radar till recently, and that's because of the amount of added weapons and even buffing them so more people would use them.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Radar doesn't decrease pushing too much IMO, it's mostly weapons holding people on a spawn, crouching to get a pick. An ability only radar would be cool to try and I wouldn't mind testing that. I'm just forewarning people that if you played these settings with no radar, in a month this game will be the slowest its ever been. Main focus needs to be balancing weapons on a map. People weren't complaining about the radar till recently, and that's because of the amount of added weapons and even buffing them so more people would use them.

Radar makes pushing out almost impossible, especially in slayer. There are countless times where players have been trapped in yellow on Plaza and they opt to crouch in corners because pushing out is too risky. The players pushing out don't have map control, which I'm sure everyone agrees is a huge disadvantage. Radar inherently punishes the pushing team even further with them already losing map control. Do you have any evidence that radar slows gameplay down? I agree weapon layouts are bad and need to be fixed. People stopped complaining about radar because the myriad of other problems the game has and 343s lack of responsiveness.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Radar makes pushing out almost impossible, especially in slayer. There are countless times where players have been trapped in yellow on Plaza and they opt to crouch in corners because pushing out is too risky. The players pushing out don't have map control, which I'm sure everyone agrees is a huge disadvantage. Radar inherently punishes the pushing team even further with them already losing map control. Do you have any evidence that radar slows gameplay down? I agree weapon layouts are bad and need to be fixed. People stopped complaining about radar because the myriad of other problems the game has and 343s lack of responsiveness.

I've played 0 games of no radar because at this point in time because it would be a waste and I'd rather focus on improving on the current settings. I have watched numerous hours of it and talked to multiple people that have played it. As for your example, I'd argue that people are staying crouched in yellow because that side of the map currently has: A BR, Light Rifle, storm rifle, silenced SMG, and combo. All of which spawn very quickly, Wait for weapons before you push = you have the advantage when the other side of the map has virtually nothing. Like I said it may seem like a great idea currently, but in a month if weapon placement doesn't change it will be worse IMO

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 5

The point about population stands. The fact you've came in with a passive aggressive troll answer rather than an attempt to tell us anything about the numbers is about as 343 as it gets. I'm glad you guys at least read the posts here though, so you are aware that even die hard fans like me are basically gone.

Finish him!

Okay. I'm not disagreeing with you about settings. I do think the weapons are stupid right now. I would also like an ability only radar to test. The underlined part though? Come on people have been complaining about radar since launch on this very forum and often times in this very thread so much that people start to bitch that the radar argument is happening again. Lol.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've played 0 games of no radar because at this point in time because it would be a waste and I'd rather focus on improving on the current settings. I have watched numerous hours of it and talked to multiple people that have played it. As for your example, I'd argue that people are staying crouched in yellow because that side of the map currently has: A BR, Light Rifle, storm rifle, silenced SMG, and combo. All of which spawn very quickly, Wait for weapons before you push = you have the advantage when the other side of the map has virtually nothing. Like I said it may seem like a great idea currently, but in a month if weapon placement doesn't change it will be worse IMO

I agree yellow has more weapon spawns, but none of those weapons matter when the other team has snipe setup and sniper. Not to mention it's pretty much a free over shield for thme as well. I think no radar needs to be tested before we can assume how it will play in a months time. When changing settings the meta will evolve and nobody can predict how.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Radar makes the game more noobified yes. But the thing about snowbally weapons honestly annoys me more than radar. The weapon balance and the sheer amount of weapons on the map make this game a nightmare.

But why can't we fix both? What bothers certain people more is their opinion, saying one thing is "more of an issue" is pretty dumb.

^^^

The fact is, anybody saying they know how no radar will effect the game in the long term is full of shit because nobody has actually played it enough that way including @@aPG (still one of my faves though). We NEED to have a testing playlist so people can grind away.

Other shit like weapon placement and balance we dont need to take nearly as much time tweaking. We all know whats working and whats not here. We have so much experience with it. A 3rd party needs to take control of settings at this point imo because Quinn has proven that he cant be objective and they take fucking forever.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sad truth is this, 343 made a decent game with Halo 5 but not good enough. Even if it had a proper spectator mode, servers were good, ghost melees didn't exist, etc. Halo 5 wouldn't thrive. It's an ok FPS, but it is not halo. It's just another futuristic fly around FPS that isn't very unique. Its not going to get any better during h5's lifespan.

I think you're right that the population lives pretty close to where it will always be, regardless of competitive and quality-of-life improvements. But I don't really think that's because it's not Halo-y enough.

If you want to get LoL numbers, you have to have a much higher accessibility to trying the game. A $60 xbox-only title with crappy matchmaking doesn't get you there. You really need a perfect storm of cheap/free-to-play, addictive gameplay, and infrastructure that doesn't get in the way of people's urge to start the next game and check their rank. I don't think the gameplay is what Halo is missing, it's the logistics and the "it" factor. Halo is old news. Halo 6 isn't going to be the most awaited game of the year. You pretty much have to start from scratch, because nowadays most people assume the series is just played-out rehashes of the same thing, like GTA or Madden. 

I'm not saying people always jump to the new thing, but populations rarely grow once a certain amount of time has elapsed. You have to win a huge number of people early and turn it into a true social phenomenon if you want to have the enduring quality and quantity of competition you saw in, say, Brood War.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What about an ability only radar?

I'm personally not an advocate of the "ability only radar" due to the fact this could likely be, from a software development standpoint, a large and difficult project.  If they were going to dump a large amount of dev hours into something, I would like to see server improvements, spectator mode fixes, weapon balancing, map balancing, etc.  

To APG's point, I get where he is coming from in the fact that if the game is already too snowbally, removing radar is not going to fix that, it could make it worse.  If rebalancing weapons \ maps \ etc. makes no radar play better, I think that would be a better use of resources IMO