CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The best thing to come from this season is T2 and Elamite. The casting and bringing back Str8 Rippin.

YES! We should make a list of funny things they said this season to make a video, funny stuff is good to show to people that aren't in to Halo. My favorite is the commonly - sonic the hedgehog bit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I didnt see people crying in 2009 when my NJ halo locals could only pull 40 teams(sarcasm)(kinda :0)

Have a good day

Thanks for the post. I agree with pretty much everything you say. This stood out at the end to me... NJ Halo was arguably one of the biggest consistent locals in the country, but it was still just a local. Very interesting to look back and think roughly 40 teams for a local with about $1,000 up for grabs could be considered a small event. Established locals had better turn outs than open events have had so far unless I'm mistaken. With the open events so far, Chattanooga, St Louis, EsportsArena, what was the highest turn out and which event was it? I heard Chattanooga had a good turn out.

I'd like to see more open events that take place a couple months apart that are spread out throughout the country. I also am a firm believer in getting the information out to the players ridiculously early. MLG had a great job with this after 2005. They had all the locations and dates posted at the start of the year months ahead of the event as well as info for hotels. Maybe time's just passing me by now that I'm older, but I feel like we have very little notice of whats to come compared to those days.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks for the post. I agree with pretty much everything you say. This stood out at the end to me... NJ Halo was arguably one of the biggest consistent locals in the country, but it was still just a local. Very interesting to look back and think roughly 40 teams for a local with about $1,000 up for grabs could be considered a small event. Established locals had better turn outs than open events have had so far unless I'm mistaken. With the open events so far, Chattanooga, St Louis, EsportsArena, what was the highest turn out and which event was it? I heard Chattanooga had a good turn out.

I'd like to see more open events that take place a couple months apart that are spread out throughout the country. I also am a firm believer in getting the information out to the players ridiculously early. MLG had a great job with this after 2005. They had all the locations and dates posted at the start of the year months ahead of the event as well as info for hotels. Maybe time's just passing me by now that I'm older, but I feel like we have very little notice of whats to come compared to those days.

Chatt sold something like 70 passes because it was announced a few months in advance. I don't think any of the others broke 40 (Chatt only ended up with 40-ish teams, but passes sold is the important number to TOs)

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we have the whole team at the house then possibly but we also can't exactly switch equipment around mid-series during a pro league match so I tried all season to just record each series from 1 pov and then switch it up for the next match.

I promise I'm not trying to sound rude but I really don't think you know what you're talking about here. It sounds like you're focusing on if somebody is winning every individual battle to determine whether or not they are a quality player yet ignoring when a player puts himself into advantageous positions or recognizes when to play selfishly vs selflessly for the team, there's a significant difference in getting the majority of your kills by out shooting another player vs getting the majority of your kills based on positioning and awareness and you're only giving credit to the player who possibly wins an individual battle or makes a "flashy play". Halo is about instantaneous decision making and when you have a player that can recognize situations very quickly and consistently make the right choices/recognize what needs to be done, it's a huge advantage (just look at Ola). Stellur has excellent decision making - a trait that is basically impossible for most viewers to see in a microcosm of pro league match streams or a live event stream that rotates around all 8 players pov's making it nearly impossible to fully analyze just one player. Not to mention regardless of stats, which I've said in the past don't matter unless it's a trend in one direction over a long period of time (which in this case it is, he routinely goes positive), he has still played extremely well on our team. Just saying, maybe watch a few more games/scrims from his pov before developing such strong opinions? 

I will concede that it was only one series and that I won't judge any player off of one series, but I stand by my opinion that what I saw out of him for the majority of that series (specifically in the first 3 games) was not very good Halo. I thought I'd post what I did because the general sentiment around here is that Stellur is a sick player, and I'm not sure how much of that is rooted in fact and evidence as opposed to how much of it is just rooted in hatred of Cratos.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I really enjoyed the format of HCS seasons' 1 & 2 (H2A), except i'd like to see large scale LANS in terms of the prize pool & tournament organizer. 

I think so as well they could even the keep the whole Pro League format if they wanted to all they have to do is use the point based system and have the pro league matches per week count for points.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Its a little scary to see people going directly at players before they know why they aren't attending. The format is definitely a problem on ESL's end but at least reserve creating an opinion on teams/players for when you actually know whats going on. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I will concede that it was only one series and that I won't judge any player off of one series, but I stand by my opinion that what I saw out of him for the majority of that series (specifically in the first 3 games) was not very good Halo. I thought I'd post what I did because the general sentiment around here is that Stellur is a sick player, and I'm not sure how much of that is rooted in fact and evidence as opposed to how much of it is just rooted in hatred of Cratos.

People had that sentiment about stellur BEFORE the Cratos situation.

Before we knew the reason, people were dumbfounded that he'd be getting dropped... then we were still dumbfounded after we found out the reason.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nevmawz.png

26. Suspector - 0.407

27. PreDevonator - 0.383

28. Ace - 0.375

28. Naded - 0.375

30. Pistola - 0.370

31. Cratos - 0.339

32. Lunchbox - 0.306

• Upvote (+1) 6

1) dont assume you know someones story.

2) dont blame players/orgs for things when the source of the problem is the league structure and game state.

3) its possible to be disappointed in something without passing blame.

4) the anonymity of the internet makes it easy to be a ass hole, but that does not mean you are obligated to do so.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sucks about the Optic situation. Hard to phrase this without knowing what happened, but I hope whatever happened works itself out in the coming weeks. I know I'm going to miss Royal 2's flicks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys how is it going in here? Oh.... Alright nvm.

This place has been increasingly more hostile and not even fun for anybody in the past month or so. Maybe it's just my opinion though, everyone is so tightly wound. Nothing like some good old entitlement posts from people who felt entitled to watch us at the event to put the cherry on top. It's already been explained by Pj pretty well, but it's the system. Even in H2A the system was better, as much as we complained then it went backwards. You had to go to the events to make finals. It was made so it had to be a priority. I can only imagine what it was like for other pros at g4g, they HAD to go and the winning team got 6k. I mean OC was 7k for first but you know us entitled folk over here will do ANYTHING for that type of cheese. Put the pitchforks away until you know what the right thing is that you're rioting against.

Community of our size tends to be hostile naturally. Tbh most here are understanding but have rioting tendencies especially with the current state of the HCS.

This place has been increasingly more hostile and not even fun for anybody in the past month or so. Maybe it's just my opinion though, everyone is so tightly wound.

I think it just comes down to the community just not giving a fuck anymore after a year of release of this game.

• Spectator experience has been ass (broken game + glorified theater mode) -
  • Highly questionable decision making by the HCS Council -
  • LAN events only in the West Coast -
  • 343i / HCS staff not interacting with the community here -

All this stuff starts to add up after awhile, it sucks it shouldn't be directed at the players but people find ways to vent at times. I can see why people are mad, but stuff comes up and you can't control it at times.

The only good thing that happened this season is Team Envyus squad forming and Tsquared casting, maybe E6 in relegation if you dislike the squad or Cratos.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I just watched Towey's upload of EG's series against Liquid.

Stellur really doesn't appear to be very good to me. He has a good shot, but is generally sloppy, slow-to-react, and loses a lot of 1v1s that he shouldn't. This surprised me because the general perception of him is that he is a very individually skilled player, maybe it was an off-night. The only game in which he was winning more battles than he was losing was game 5, but he had a weapon advantage in just about every battle, plus his whole team was on fire.

He also just does not look like a good team player, it's like he's playing his own game most of the time and not thinking about helping his team at all. He moves slowly and is often the last one to reach the "action" on the map, which results in him earning a lot of "baity" kills and not in a way that is beneficial to the team. And I know I've said this multiple times already, but his communication is pathetic for a pro player.

I'm not blaming EG's struggles on him (they have many different issues), but as someone who just watched 5 entire games from his perspective in a serious setting, I'm very unimpressed. Maybe he just doesn't mesh with EG. It looks like he has a completely different idea of how to play Halo than his team.

I know we see him as sort of the hero in the fight against the community villain Cratos, but hopefully others who have watched a lot of his gameplay can offer their opinions.

It's funny. I just watched the same thing, then happened to see this. Except what I noticed (all 5 games) was that Stellur was winning the majority of his 1v1s, if the circumstances were any sort of relatively even. I'm curious about what you saw that differs so greatly from what I saw. Perhaps I didn't see him doing a whole lot of cross mapping (which is arguably less important in this game than any other Halo), but I also noticed that he often has fantastic positioning, movement, and did a great job staying alive in unlikely scenarios. His communication could be better at times, but it's honestly better than a lot of players, past and present, who play(ed) similarly to him.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Chatt had 72 passes sold and about 42 in attendance. not counting the people for the FFA.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Highly questionable decision making by the HCS Council -

We still don't even know who/what this is lmfao. I guess it was the testing sessions with the players back in June/July? Probably a nonexistent concept at this point because its clear they have no drive to make optimal settings anymore.

Ghost worked on the FFA settings but its clear Arena is being left untouched.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We still don't even know what this is haha, I guess it was the testing sessions with the players back in June/July? Probably a nonexistent concept at this point because its clear they have no drive to make optimal settings anymore.

Ghost worked on the FFA settings but its clear Arena is being left untouched.

We know what it is, it's a fluff title for some to get an interview with ESPN.

Hey guys how is it going in here? Oh.... Alright nvm.

This place has been increasingly more hostile and not even fun for anybody in the past month or so. Maybe it's just my opinion though, everyone is so tightly wound. Nothing like some good old entitlement posts from people who felt entitled to watch us at the event to put the cherry on top. It's already been explained by Pj pretty well, but it's the system. Even in H2A the system was better, as much as we complained then it went backwards. You had to go to the events to make finals. It was made so it had to be a priority. I can only imagine what it was like for other pros at g4g, they HAD to go and the winning team got 6k. I mean OC was 7k for first but you know us entitled folk over here will do ANYTHING for that type of cheese. Put the pitchforks away until you know what the right thing is that you're rioting against.

Dude can you really blame us for being wound up? This season is almost over and we have zero communication in what is coming next. The game continues to spiral downwards in both the quality of the online gameplay and the management of hcs. Then we start hearing how some pros/teams arent attending the final open event which most people including pros lamented the lack of. I understandi timing, prize pool, lack of signi9to the overall hcs picture, but damn its hard to be calm about it when it feels like something ive watched and supported since 2007 is falling apart.

I appriciate @@SnakeBite for his honesty and i tend to understand. I also agree that a change must be made. Please dont come in here only to goad us and insult us. I get that personal situations arise and most of us are sympathetic to those situations. I wont defend the few people who cry entitlement, but please dot pull a @@Tsquared and use those few to label the whole community. Dont gloss over the pages of great conversation about preferred tournament format for the few people who troll and bitch. I respect @@SnakeBite for talking to us. I cant respect you coming in to tell us how horrible we are

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

After Snakebite comes in here and acts like he's some community ambassador, this is extremely disappointing. I wish Optic appreciated the importance that their team name bares to the Halo scene. Not making any content to attract the Optic fans was already disappointing, but now this...

Hopefully it's untrue.

Snakebite is literally the most respectful out of the completely honest and transparent professional players we have had and ever will have. The people who criticise anyone but the developer for Halo being in the state it's in make a piece of me want a distant asteroid to hurl itself into Earth. It is the most intellectually dishonest and disingenuous absurdity someone could say about Halo over the past 6 years. 

You usually post trash about us so this post doesn't surprise me. Let me make myself extremely clear to everyone. I love this community. I love halo. It doesn't benefit me to do things that go against the growth of the scene. I am NOT trying to be some community ambassador lmao. If I was I would be trying to get a job at 343 instead of suggesting that some employees need to be fired... I am a professional player who gets paid to compete. I come on here and post my thoughts since that is what people like and what I find respectful. I do not stream h5 a lot right now because I do not enjoy matchmaking and getting trash servers. Now I love everybody that comes into my stream and if you are one of those people I hope you know that. If I am being honest streaming is an easy way to make income, but I don't do things for money. I can not stream h5 matchmaking or upload consistent content when all I want to do currently is bash it. I had the same feelings toward MCC where I streamed it made some income then realized the game wasn't going to be fixed so I stopped. I hope this isn't the case for h5.

As for Vegas. As APG said we arent going for personal reasons that we simply aren't going to talk about. I 100% understand the frustration with us not attending since it would certainly help the growth of the tournament and that is something we feel awful about. When you have events worth nothing this is the sad reality that other things can take priority. That is NOT why we arent going but it isn't like the MLG days ie: where I have family coming, but I cant miss an event since it would ruin our chance at making nationals. I said that this needed to be fixed in my previous post. Keep in mind we were one of the what 4 actual teams that attended an event with the smallest prize pool of the season(holy sheesh we are entitled I know). 

I feel very similar to when we took two days off of streaming because of an org issue we ran into. Frosty and lxthul stream multiple hours every single day. We attended an event that had the lowest prize pool of the season where other teams also didn't show up. Lxthul went to UGC because it was an easy travel for him even  though it wasn't LAN. Then some personal reasoning as to why we cant attend an event last minute make me come on here and read how pros are self entitled and do nothing for the community. You can neg me if you want for this post, but some attitudes have to change. We can certainly do more to help grow the scene as can the community, but it is not a pro players sole job to help grow a scene. I understand the state halo is in and why it is needed, but it just isnt. The halo community is luckily to have players like Snip3down, lxthul, frosty and anyone else who streams somewhatconsistent and takes the time to try to read questions, give good answers, then come on here and talk to everyone too. If you dont believe me try being a fan of almost any game and see how "entitled" you think we are after.

Edit: Also just to add on to the neg rep. In this case it was being discussed as naded, but If a pro player does not want to go to an event that isn't required he shouldn't. He should, but anyone with actual logic can understand how the system failed us for this season. The cry for more LAN event didn't mean hold what really should be called hcs locals on the west coast. This means no disrepct to UGC, Esportsarena, and PGL I loved the layout of every single one of these events and they were/will be amazing. Just trying to get my point acorss on the topic. MLG events were required if you wanted to make it to the top 8 nationals(big money). They were also months spread apart. I didnt see people crying in 2009 when my NJ halo locals could only pull 40 teams(sarcasm)(kinda :0)

/endrant 

Have a good day

The fact that someone like Snakebite felt the need to take the time to explain something so banal to someone like you who wrote something that absurd infuriates and troubles me deeply.