CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

My little rant there was following 4 or 5 simple questions met with hostility. Most "lurkers" here are still paying close attention to H5 esports. You're fooling yourself if you don't think teambeyond has a very poor reputation when it comes to more casual halo players or more casual H5 esports followers.

compared to what other sites, and based on what evidence?

i assume you have something besides anecdotes. 

Seems like a silly reason to not use a format based off 1 tournaments results.

Teams would still absolutely take a bye over not. Just look at the NFL playoffs.

I think the big difference is the NFL playoff games would all be on different days anyways. Playing a team that just came off a series when you've been sitting around for hours can be a difference maker if the teams are close enough (which in that example, you'd be playing top-4 teams who have momentum). Not saying the format is a bad one, just that I don't like the idea of the 1 and 2 teams sitting around for so long.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't MLG basically use this format once and stopped using it because the 1 and 2 team both lost to the teams coming off wins/momentum. I think it was '09 nationals.

09 Nationals was a tiered bracket and everyone hated it because two first round teams ended up in finals.

Demon D won a National Championship in that format.

Except it was just single elim as far as I remember. Classic was one cap from being eliminated and Hysteria box happened.

• Upvote (+1) 5

09 Nationals was a tiered bracket and everyone hated it because two first round teams ended up in finals.

Except it was just single elim as far as I remember. Classic was one cap from being eliminated and Hysteria box happened.

It would have been even funnier if Classic had won that event. Thank god for BtH

Posting "Wait, there are EU teams?" 1100 pages into a thread that you post in regularly and where the EU league also comes up regularly is going to get met with hostility.  This is also the internet.  There is no tone to text, so you have to clarify it.  Saying, 

"Wait, there are EU teams?"

is a hell of a lot different than saying,

"Wait, there are EU teams? I only follow the scene casually so i didn't even know. Where can i get more info?"

those are going to get met with 2 totally different responses.  The first with hostility, the second with concrete info and lamentations about how the EU scene deserves better coverage and viewership. Its not about the message, its about the presentation.  Especially on the internet.

I wouldn't really consider myself a regular poster in this thread. I've made maybe 10 posts.

Yes, I suppose I could have handled it differently but you guys seem to have a really bad habit of exploding on people in here as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

compared to what other sites, and based on what evidence?

i assume you have something besides anecdotes. 

Yes. I have an extensive study prepared.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I wouldn't really consider myself a regular poster in this thread. I've made maybe 10 posts.

Nope, 55 posts.

;-)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Except it was just single elim as far as I remember. 

Then the double-elim should help then right?

My proposed bracket idea for NA Pro League Finals

DpUsPC8.png

I know you referenced the NFL after this but that has 1 week between games, in esports you know how important "staying warm" is and teams playing back to back clearly have advantaged over teams with byes. I'n this format you're keeping the top 2 teams from playing majority of the tournament and when they finally play they're playing teams that have warmed up and have momentum on their side. 1 bye is fine, having basically 3? I don't see it working personally

• Upvote (+1) 1

Damnit. I was looking at the Str8 Rippin website with their sweet merch and it really made me want a Believe the hype hoodie/sweatshirt. That'd be sick.

To be honest, I doubted Str8 Rippin as an org at first, but now I believe. It's the coolest name in the league, has a great logo, and already made a miraculous run to finals. 

Can't wait for Vegas. 

So here we are giving all this feedback to ESL for next season and @@Timo hasn't logged here in over a week someone from ESL better be reading this feedback and considering it for next season especially since he was on twitter last night responding to people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know. Throwing away an entire bracket idea that works in every form we need it to based off results from 1 tournament 7 years ago seems silly to me.

*Edit* Especially in the scenario where the #1 team got eliminated because of an xbox freezing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Double-checked, it was double-elim and the 1 and 2 seeds finished as low as they possibly could have in the format (5/6th).

THIS GIF. WHERE DID IT ORIGINATE. WAS IT HERE?

• Upvote (+1) 6

If esl cant deliver an event as good as the non sanctioned ugc event, then halo is in the wrong fucking hands.

My solution would be a mix of tourneys and pro league. We open the season with a tournament that uses last seasons placements for seeding. Top 2 from am bracket go to wbr1 of champ bracket. 1st and second seeds get a bye. Top 8 make it to pro league

The next 4 weeks will he pro league which will dtermine seeding for tourney #2. Same set up here where top 2 from am play champ bracket. 4 more weeks of pro league follow. Then we get finals. Same format, more money. The tourneys will be 1 east coast, 1 mid west, 1 west coast.

To me this gives the top teams the opportunity to prove themselves outside of the faulty servers and gives the top am teams a chance to break in 3 times a season

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

IW can't be that bad that the prodigal son returns. Can it?

It tilts me more than the H5 servers

Until Optic loses on LAN i personally feel that voting anything other then first doesn't make sense.

They lost to nV before and they were suddenly number one and that was the reason why, a scrim and a loss in HCS.

Then they lose, what, 3-4 times on LAN vs Optic? I mean, nV got swept as well by Liquid as well.

Of course if they lose on LAN I'll just blame Lethul.

• Downvote (-1) 1

just watched Towey's upload of the Liquid series. I have to say the Beee on the sticks / Towey calling out works out well.