CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Asking yesterday means we asked for tonight. plz learn. 

I'm still in training. I'm not a pro forum poster unfortunately. 

according to my sources, CLG is dodging nV because the H5 snipe is the same difficulty as the H3 sniper so they're super afraid 

can confirm the sources

• Upvote (+1) 5

Can you share some of your ideas, I'd be interesting in hearing how you would do it as a fan/player

Sure.

If we are talking to contributing to the growth of an esport or in this case Halo, specifically, you can take many different routes. I think at the most basic level it comes down to being an "active fan" which can take many different forms.

A "passive fan" to me would be someone who follows the scene in some way: watching broadcasts, player streams or YT videos, going to events as a spectator, reading Twitter, forums, websites - consuming it, if you will. And even in that way you are contributing to the growth, as you are a "plus 1" on everything. But you are not creating or stimulating any further growth beyond this plus 1. 

Being active in the community will have this furthering effect. Based on what it is that you do the magnitude of the effect will change. Below a list off the top of my head how you can be active and what effects it can have. Note that there is a lot of interdependencies in the below which I won’t necessarily all explore.

Some of the easiest forms of activity probably occur without people actually realizing it: retweeting players/TOs/developers, replying to tweets, using the hashtag, sharing, commenting  on or liking Facebook posts, posting on the forums - any actual interaction on social media. Telling your friends online or in person about it. Things like this help increase the reach of Halo and HCS as more and more people get to know about it, and potentially tune in and/or play and/or become an active fan themselves. 

Another very simple thing is playing the game (and telling your friends about it). For obvious reasons, this is another very fundamental thing to the growth of an esport. More players = more potential people interested in watching the game (surely you have people who watch the game, but don't actually play, but I think they are the minority).

Stronger attendance and participation of players in LAN/online tournaments will also mean that the organizers have a reason and/or opportunity to put more resources behind it. This can mean: more tournaments, more prize money, more sponsors (again positively impacting all of these), better setups (broadcast, stages, stations, staff), more bells and whistles, and ultimately even more jobs.

More involved examples are writing about it, podcasting or even creating video content (for which I would be useless). I think today, more than ever, tools and manuals are available to create this kind of content. You can start your own blog. You can do interviews. You can write for a community website. You can create videos: montages, discussions, news, recaps. You can do artwork or infographics. You can create maps. You can stream.

All of these will again result in more people being exposed to Halo, getting themselves involved etc.

Other examples of really involved and time-consuming activity are the start-up and creation of projects/websites such as Beyond, HCS Fantasy, HCS Live Tweets, etc. Or even starting your own (professional) team (if you’ve got the cash for it). The least number of people will actually go to this extent, however, if successful, these can have a massively positive impact for the growth of Halo.

Saucey, Cyren, Moses, Ponza and others will better be able to speak to this part.

A word on growth.

There are a lot of different metrics you can use to measure growth and I have already mentioned a lot of them. Almost all of them (if not all) are interlinked in some way. Some things cause others to grow. Some simply correlate with others. It is a virtuous cycle.

Among causes and results of growth are: player base, prize money, number of tournaments, number of websites, amount of video content created, number of sponsors, larger venues, being on TV, social media reach, etc.

Some of it can, at least in parts, be achieved organically. Through a great game and people’s passion for it, i.e. you don’t have to put up the biggest prize pool – people will want to watch for the games themselves. Through strong community interactions, etc.

Other parts will need more financial resources, cause guess what: shit costs money for companies. More prize money, obviously. Cooler stages, fancier productions, video content for the broadcasts, and more tournaments fall into this category.

But with a more active and growing fan base, everyone has more reason to put more money in.

What other team did you expect those two to end up with?

It isn't about them being with Luminosity, but the fact that they are teaming again which surprised me a bit.

What other team did you expect those two to end up with?

It isn't about them being with Luminosity, but the fact that they are teaming again which surprised me a bit.

That's what I meant. It seems pretty appropriate in some ways assuming they parted on good terms that they would come back to each other after being somewhat successful when they're both in need of a team and the "better" options for teams are more or less taken. I think they'll be a fun/interesting team to watch. They're both players that play pretty differently compared to most

Damn, a Saturday scrim of CLG vs NV would have been great. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, I typed up an extremely long reply and it didn't post so I'm gonna get straight to the point. Before I begin, thanks for the post, Timo. Very interesting to read your perspective.

I say this time and time again, but the Halo community does not need more content, we need more high quality content. Halo, compared to other eSports titles, is currently way behind when it comes to content creation. I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, but the majority of the content I've seen over the last 5 years are stream highlights, generic game commentaries, and opinion pieces. Personally, I feel that none of these forms of content are interesting enough to be engaged with or share with friends. With that said, once someone creates a spark with a great concept, it spreads like wildfire throughout the Halo community. We need more of that.

To be clear, I don't want this post to intimidate anyone that wants to get into content creation. It's something I'm truly passionate about and love doing and I'm sure plenty more would love to try it out someday. We just need more creative concepts and polished videos that are worth watching. Hopefully, some of my future projects inspire others to show how great Halo can be.

TL;DR: quality > quantity

content is more than just merely videos but i don't disagree 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Absolutely. I'm more or less just speaking from the perspective of a video content creator. I obviously don't have the credentials to talk about podcasts, blogs, etc. With that said, I'm sure we can all agree that all of these forms of Halo content can be improved as well.

Have to chime in too, a lot of our HCS content doesn't do as well as just simply having a discussion thread.

Part of the reason we stopped doing Bomb Planted (granted it's a fan favorite). Stream numbers and VoD were never that good, throw in possible backlash from the community / others regarding our "honest" opinion on stuff can be bad for us.

You also look at content like Beyond Rewind, it started off great with 8k viewers for a new series, but now can only get 1-2k views. Even the HCS social media feeds never promoted it. Props to CLG for tweeting it out though.

While I think content is good, I feel not a lot of people watch it even though they are constantly talking about wanting it. I used to love going to places like r/Halo to see content during Halo: Reach and Halo 4, but it doesn't seem like the community loves that stuff as much as a picture of a mountain dew bottle from Halo 3.

----------------

With that said, I'm excited for @@Clicked's future HCS video projects, he's shown me some of it over the last few days and I think a lot of you will love it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Speaking of content, this is shit I love

Simple quick videos, gives the players a personality and it's easy to watch. MLG posted this on Twitter and Facebook and I saw it just scrolling through my timeline.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Have to chime in too, a lot of our HCS content doesn't do as well as just simply having a discussion thread.

Part of the reason we stopped doing Bomb Planted (granted it's a fan favorite). Stream numbers and VoD were never that good, throw in possible backlash from the community / others regarding our "honest" opinion on stuff can be bad for us.

You also look at content like Beyond Rewind, it started off great with 8k viewers for a new series, but now can only get 1-2k views. Even the HCS social media feeds never promoted it. Props to CLG for tweeting it out though.

While I think content is good, I feel not a lot of people watch it even though they are constantly talking about wanting it. I used to love going to places like r/Halo to see content during Halo: Reach and Halo 4, but it doesn't seem like the community loves that stuff as much as a picture of a mountain dew bottle from Halo 3.

----------------

With that said, I'm excited for @@Clicked's future HCS video projects, he's shown me some of it over the last few days and I think a lot of you will love it.

r/halo loves warzone more than I love my family

• Upvote (+1) 3

Cloud 9 was really nice for the week we were all on the team. They were all really chill and accommodating. They gave me free gear, and a jersey with my name on it all under a week I was on the team so I was super happy with that. They even brought out some of their video team at Finals and brought us some redbull. They wanted to be in Halo, they just couldn't find a team for this season.

Commonly quote responding to my question about C9's involvement in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Speaking of content, this is shit I love

Simple quick videos, gives the players a personality and it's easy to watch. MLG posted this on Twitter and Facebook and I saw it just scrolling though my timeline.

MLG's been going in with the "random" content over the past months. I really like seeing the 40-50 second news vids when scrolling through my timeline. 

----------------

i understand that as well, the community has gotten so small that it's not really worthwhile to create high quality content because there simply aren't enough viewers to sustain it