CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is exactly right. The major flaw in 343's logic about having the integrated playlist is that it assumes the casual community and the competitive community will always want to play the same thing. We are seeing now that couldn't be further from the truth. You're right in saying the casual community want their DLC maps and gametypes, while the competitive community wants a more tailored experience with what we deem to be the most competitive settings/gametypes the game has to offer. The needs of minority and majority are in competition with each other when they don't have to be. The balancing act is winnable if they yield on the vision of a unified playlist and realize it is never going to work. Our needs are just too different.

Has 343 ever released any sort of playlist population numbers?

We got this:

"Halo 5 has had the highest monthly active players for a Halo title since Halo 3." via @@Bravo on r/Halo a few months back.

I do believe you'd be very pleasantly surprised with not only the number of players who jumped on during the free play period (holy moly lots! by golly it worked!), but also the amount of Halo 5 players each day and month - this isn't something we've talked about yet, but I am rather happy to share that even before the free play period, Halo 5 has had the highest monthly active players for a Halo title since Halo 3.

Also exciting (and not yet discussed, either) is the increase that H5 has seen in players each month over the past few months (we just got done looking at June numbers, which are once again higher than the previous month). As you can imagine this is pretty darn exciting to see, and this thread seemed like an appropriate place to share this news for the first time :)

I'd have to get approval from the powers that be to say more in terms of specifics, but you should rest assured that together, we're quite a strong army.

Yep.

FyDgm9.png

Now they only say things like "higher player retention" without having any stats to back it up. 343 learned their lesson. As long as they hide the numbers, they can say whatever they want.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Am team got picked up by a small org called "STDx eSports".

I'm happy for them. I really am.

But man.

The "This org is AIDS" jokes write themselves.

I'm really itching to see them compete.

• Upvote (+1) 7

znNwGVr.jpg

Pretty sure Discord threw some shade at 343.

I've been waiting for ctrl-f for what seems like a year now.

Pretty sure Discord threw some shade at 343.

Soon™ has been a thing for longer than 343 Industries has existed.

Although internet evidence suggests it actually is a Bungie thing.  (With other roots as far back as 1980)

• Upvote (+1) 5

Is it possible to get the population numbers from the API?

I was looking at the api features and i dont think there is a direct way to do it.

Is it possible to get the population numbers from the API?

Josh came here a while ago and said that he was a little surprised that no one had done such a thing yet.

Based on what he said, you'd think it would be possible. But the fact that no one has done it yet says otherwise.

I'm not much of a programmer but couldn't someone track how many gamertags play a game during certain one hour intervals? 

It won't give a population of how many people are all on, either in game and in lobby but would at least show some decent info. 

When I asked for population numbers to see if there was evidence of the population going up people flipped their shit. How times have changed.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The monthly active users (MAU) metric is pretty flawed when it comes to any sort of usage tracking.  Basically, anything that causes some sort of communication between your device (Xbox) and the Halo servers will count as an active user for the month.  The number, especially when dealing with Halo 5, is extremely flawed due to 343i releasing monthly updates.  So even if Halo was updating in the background without even playing the game, your box made a connection to the Halo servers and tracked you as a user for the game.

Facebook had to address a similar issue with their MAU tracking.  Investors and partners questioned their MAU metrics, and found that any time a third party app that had the ability to connect to Facebook was accessed from your device, it pinged Facebook and counted you as a user. Even the Twitter CEO said something in an interview along the lines of MAU being abstract and meaningless.  Just because something arbitrary that you did pinged a server, should not make you an active user.

Measuring along the lines of Current Active Population would yield much more accurate numbers, and you could track trends easier based on what days/times have the highest number of players are online.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

NA Week 6 Stats

EnVy:

kKxb9rq.jpg

Optic:

gX40JrC.jpg

Liquid:

x4Zs4hy.jpg

Luminosity:

sSsDh13.jpg

Str8 Rippin:

D0YrXqi.jpg

Enigma6:

HVGZSVS.jpg

Evil Geniuses:

xxObwaX.jpg

Allegiance:

CDPcayn.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

The monthly active users (MAU) metric is pretty flawed when it comes to any sort of usage tracking.  Basically, anything that causes some sort of communication between your device (Xbox) and the Halo servers will count as an active user for the month.  The number, especially when dealing with Halo 5, is extremely flawed due to 343i releasing monthly updates.  So even if Halo was updating in the background without even playing the game, your box made a connection to the Halo servers and tracked you as a user for the game.

Facebook had to address a similar issue with their MAU tracking.  Investors and partners questioned their MAU metrics, and found that any time a third party app that had the ability to connect to Facebook was accessed from your device, it pinged Facebook and counted you as a user. Even the Twitter CEO said something in an interview along the lines of MAU being abstract and meaningless.  Just because something arbitrary that you did pinged a server, should not make you an active user.

Measuring along the lines of Current Active Population would yield much more accurate numbers, and you could track trends easier based on what days/times have the highest number of players are online.

:wutface:

You make it sound like 343 has no control on how they want to measure that number. MAU is frequently measured in slightly different ways depending on the product.

Sign-on vs. single interaction vs. single match, etc.

When I asked for population numbers to see if there was evidence of the population going up people flipped their shit. How times have changed.

Yup i remember, people ate that bullshit PR statement like nothing. And here we are months later and we have 0 stats.

Anyone see the Overwatch league setup? It's perfect and what I want for Halo. To be honest I think trying to build fanbases regionally makes a lot more sense.

Anyone see the Overwatch league setup? It's perfect and what I want for Halo. To be honest I think trying to build fanbases regionally makes a lot more sense.

That only works when your population is in the millions, halo couldn't do that.
  • Upvote (+1) 1