CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm just glad Vin isn't seeing this EG

As a big EG fan I will cry enough for both Vin and I

• Upvote (+1) 6

• No splinters > better less random meta 
  • No storm rifles > better less cheesy meta

I agree with everything except these 2 points.  Removing these 2 weapons isn't necessary and I think they could ​fill a good role if utilized properly.  Splinters needs more change than the SR imo.

- Splinters - I think these could fill a good role as an "area of denial weapon" but at the moment they are totally OP "get out of jail free" cards.  I think these changes need to be made. 

Reduce total available damage so a direct hit makes you once shot instead of dissolving you into orange dust.

reduce "hang time" by 30%

Increase fuse time by .3 - .5 seconds

- Storm Rifle -

Reduce damage done to health

Reclassify as a Tier-2 weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Still, a 4 team LAN final is just so meh... I hope that is the last of 4 team LANs forever.  It could be such a good tournament but the people in charge of these decisions just don't get it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

im actually normal in person\

Aren't we all....

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just finished rebroadcasts (str8 rippin hype). The competition is there, the caster quality is there, the settings are not.

This meta is awful and I don't want to witness teams be forced to play like this at worlds for large amounts of money. We have double elim, tickets going on sale within a realistic timeframe, open events, storylines, better production but the settings are still lacking competitively. A social slayer playlist where 343 can keep their fuel rods, binaries, storm rifles, silenced smgs, splinters, hammers, non competive maps, and radar there.

I agree with your sentiment, but this particular execution would be bad for Halo 5s population.

Rather than tanking the games population by making the only objective playlist more hardcore (non-Esports minded players like ranked objective, believe it or not) they should just make a seperate HCS playlist with improved settings, and give Team Arena back to the masses like it was at launch.

The next halo game needs to launch with

Team Slayer

Team Objective

Team Social

Team HCS

and the HCS playlist needs to settings that are conducive to competitive play.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I agree with your sentiment, but this particular execution would be bad for Halo 5s population.

Rather than tanking the games population by making the only objective playlist more hardcore (none Esports minded players like ranked objective, believe it or not) they should just make a seperate HCS playlist with improved settings, and give Team Arena back to the masses like it was at launch.

The next halo game needs to launch with

Team Slayer

Team Objective

Team Social

Team HCS

and the HCS playlist needs to settings that are conducive to competitive play.

Sadly, I wish the developers better understood this. If they really looked closely at the entire Halo community, they would see that a lot of players would be fine with having a separate playlist for Team Arena and HCS settings. 

I'm just glad Vin isn't seeing this EG

I just talked to him briefly on twitch the other night and sorta filled him in on the huge changes. He's intentionally gone dark till December on social media and here. After typing out some of the wild results and team changes I realized how crazy the season has been. So we should see him next monthish. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

#DicksOutForVin

I miss the Carl Sagan avatar already

Where is Vin? What happened to him?

Lawschool i believe.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sadly, I wish the developers better understood this. If they really looked closely at the entire Halo community, they would see that a lot of players would be fine with having a separate playlist for Team Arena and HCS settings.

It's beyond that. I think they'd find that most players would PREFER the separate playlists.

When the announcement was made that Team Arena was becoming the HCS playlist, many more people were pissed off than were pleased. The tiny Esports population was happy, but the much larger majority lamented the loss of ALL of the DLC maps and accompanying gametypes. Up until that point, Team Arena was nearly as popular as Team Slayer.

I'm all for a strictly HCS playlist. But not at the expense of the majority.

Splitting the two would allow for 343i to cater directly to the needs of both populations. Now it's an unwinnable balancing act.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Ola is clutching this for nV so hard right now

Yea, if you missed the end of that Game 5 you missed the friggin Ola show.

One of the best single player performances I've ever seen.

I still can't believe how many people thought Ola was washed in the beginning stages of H5  :laughing:

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's beyond that. I think they'd find that most players would PREFER the separate playlists.

When the announcement was made that Team Arena was becoming the HCS playlist, many more people were pissed off than were pleased. The tiny Esports population was happy, but the much larger majority lamented the loss of ALL of the DLC maps and accompanying gametypes. Up until that point, Team Arena was nearly as popular as Team Slayer.

Splitting the two would allow for 343i to cater directly to the needs of both populations. Now it's an unwinnable balancing act.

inb4 infinity tells you having separate playlists would be bad for the game, disregarding the fact that previous, more successful titles had separate playlists.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

As a casual player, I'd love HCS to have their own playlist with custom settings, weapons, etc. Then Team Arena can then get all the new stuff they've added in updates.

People can complain about the maps being 'non-competitive'and for high level play, many of those concerns are probably valid. Down here in Gold, they don't seem to make much difference. It bugs me that 343 added new arena maps, and the assault mode, but there's no way for me to play them outside of custom games. I'm stuck basically playing the same game from launch, despite a year's worth of content updates.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see new maps/modes that are balanced for pro play (and enjoyed by the pros) added to the HCS to keep it fresh.

A result of people trying to find fault for lower population etc outside of the fact that the games just haven't been as good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A result of people trying to find fault for lower population etc outside of the fact that the games just haven't been as good.

people do the same thing for low halo viewership as well. I've seen so many different faults as to why people think viewership Is low. But maybe people just don't enjoy the game

• Upvote (+1) 2

inb4 infinity tells you having separate playlists would be bad for the game, disregarding the fact that previous, more successful titles had separate playlists.

Funny thing is, not having playlists that Properly cater to the intended audience contributes to the lower populations.

Taking a popular playlist, then gearing it towards an audience that is many orders of magnitude smaller is absolute madness...

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think a few things that are rather simple fixes that can revitalize interest in competitive Halo are as follows:

1.) No radar.

Radar makes for dull gameplay.  The best team in the game literally has one player crouch 90% of the game with power weapons.  

2.) Better gametypes and map rotations.

Empire Strongholds is the worst gametype in the rotation right now.  It's nothing but autos and nade spam.  It even has a SAW, like WTF???

Stasis has concrete data that one side inherently has a better chance at winning.  Why are we playing flag on an asymmetrical map?  

3.) Weapons

SAW - REMOVED

Storm Rifle - Removed

SMG - Removed

Shotgun - Removed

Scattershot - Reduced ammo down to 5 shots or removed

Railgun - Less ammo on spawn

Plasma Caster - 5 shots on spawn

Fuel Rod - Removed

4.) Overtime rules

The least hype thing in the world is seeing there's 20 seconds left on the clock in CTF and you're down by 1.  The game may as well end because there's nothing you can do.  Overtime should go into effect if a flag is pulled. 

Overtime should also be 15 minutes long in the case of a tie and next cap wins.  Why do we have an arbitrary 3 minute overtime?  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I just want radar gone from hcs/arena...I think that is the only change needed.

All this "nerf this, remove every weapon" just goes to far imo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just want radar gone from hcs/arena...I think that is the only change needed.

All this "nerf this, remove every weapon" just goes to far imo.

Timing of this post couldn't be better lmao. 

This is exactly right. The major flaw in 343's logic about having the integrated playlist is that it assumes the casual community and the competitive community will always want to play the same thing. We are seeing now that couldn't be further from the truth. You're right in saying the casual community want their DLC maps and gametypes, while the competitive community wants a more tailored experience with what we deem to be the most competitive settings/gametypes the game has to offer. The needs of minority and majority are in competition with each other when they don't have to be. The balancing act is winnable if they yield on the vision of a unified playlist and realize it is never going to work. Our needs are just too different. 

• Upvote (+1) 4