CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

wait, so does Cloud 9 really not have a team again? I haven't been paying attention the past few weeks

Nope. Everyone went their separate ways. Ninja/VicX to EG and Commonly/Penguin to Liquid.

If you're a streamer/youtuber/or something of that nature, you can also get insane tax breaks. With a good tax guy, you can claim your clothing you wear on stream, ANYTHING that you use for streaming (computer parts, games, mics, food you ate on stream, drinks) as a business expense. 

true that, if your state considers you self employed you really need to take advantage of all the tax breaks available to you

they exist for a reason

It's just whatever tax bracket you are in. Look up Illinois tax brackets and guess his income. Doesn't matter if they are streamers.

no, it's not that simple

taxes are different if you are "self employed" vs if you are someones employee, but yeah the bracket also matters, it all varies state to state 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have seen Ninja get some sizable donations but I think Naded always gets the consistent $250, $500, and $1,000 bombs. Its like a select few people who always donate stupid money.

Stupid? I hope that's not a insinuation of their intelligence level.  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2

wait, so does Cloud 9 really not have a team again? I haven't been paying attention the past few weeks

Yep. C9 got left without a team in the roster mania aftermath 

If you're a streamer/youtuber/or something of that nature, you can also get insane tax breaks. With a good tax guy, you can claim your clothing you wear on stream, ANYTHING that you use for streaming (computer parts, games, mics, food you ate on stream, drinks) as a business expense. 

That's because those people are considered self-employed. There are some nice advantages to be self-employed.

There are also disadvantages like no benefits and no employer sponsored retirement plans.

no, it's not that simple

taxes are different if you are "self employed" vs if you are someones employee, but yeah the bracket also matters, it all varies state to state

That goes without saying :simms:

I was pointing out that you said streamers which sounded like they had their own tax. It's all just self employment. Tax brackets would show self employment tax as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

fyi streamers get taxed like crazy

i've heard 1/3 of income in some states 

This is not directed directly at you but:

I've never understood the "tax" discussion that comes from streaming monies or tournament winnings.

If I have a job that pays me $250,000 a year and someone asks how much I earn, then (assuming I would be willing to tell) I would say "$250,000 a year". I wouldn't say "$250,000 a year before taxes" nor would I expect them to reply "yeah, $250,000 a year before taxes! Pft".

No judgement, just always found it a strange phenomenon in esports.

• Upvote (+1) 6

HCS Teams, Seeds, and Tax Discussion Thread

Might do some people ITT some good tbh.

HCS Teams, Seeds, and Tax Discussion Thread

The important question no one has asked.....How much is Ninja paying for rent?  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes. 100% different. Both in how much your base tax rate is and what can be considered a write off. It's a good balance (but I have found that being self employed with a good cpa can lead to a better overall conclusion)

• Upvote (+1) 2

So... basically a donation?

It's a donation, but instead of having to go through the donation process (credit card info, check yes to everything, etc) separately each time you want to contribute, you can buy a bunch in advance, and distribute it how you want.

At least that's how I got it figured out inside my little (albeit hilarious) brain. I'm sure somebody will chime in if I'm wrong. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

It's a donation, but instead of having to go through the donation process (credit card info, check yes to everything, etc) separately each time you want to contribute, you can buy a bunch in advance, and distribute it how you want.

At least that's how I got it figured out inside my little (albeit hilarious) brain. I'm sure somebody will chime in if I'm wrong. 

that and twitch gets a cut, lol

99.9% of the reason bits are a thing now

• Upvote (+1) 4

Community Action Sack out now  :prayers:  :prayers:  :prayers:

These gametypes are so wonky you'd expect 343i to put them in the Team Arena Preview playlist.

edit: except this action sack playlist is actually fun

i dont think its possible cause the server that they use on "lan" cant handle forge maps or at least that is what i have heard.

Wut, plz someone tell me this is a lie.