Apoll0

Halo "Adult" League - Competition for the 99% :)

Dylen, I feel like you're too good for this minor league stuff...

Unless you wanna play for Easily Esports... :simms:

I am beyond washed now I only get to play like once a month if that.

I'm going to turn 24 in November but if you'll still have me I'll join. I don't play many games anymore but it would still be a lot of fun to actually play some Halo. I may know someone else interested too.

I'm going to turn 24 in November but if you'll still have me I'll join. I don't play many games anymore but it would still be a lot of fun to actually play some Halo. I may know someone else interested too.

Sweet this is more of an "adult stage of life" league than anything. No strict age restriction. We just need a way to keep track of everything though i suppose even a spreadsheet would work.

I'm very interested in this and may have a friend as well. I probably play more than the 99% but sadly I'm not able to play as much as I would like or enough to compete so this sounds like a great alternative!

Don't really think I qualify for this even if I play less than some of the people who already posted here, but if you need more people I can play.

I think a small fee per time would be nice. 1. To make sure everyone is serious about it (weeds out a little the no shows IMO) and 2, compensate you/others that put their time into it.

I feel like some people are posting in here and are cautious about the age discussion....as @@Apoll0 has said it's less an age thing and more a stage of life thing. He's got a wife and kids and whatnot, and other people might have other situations that prevent them from playing a ton of video games like we used to when we had more free time.

I agree a small prize pool wouldn't be bad. I feel like there has to be some kind of league hosting service that could help us out here. The TB system of hosting a weekly tournament and keeping track is OK I guess, but not all of us are premium members. I know I see people running tournaments via Battlefy for like 1 and Done Search and Destroy tournaments for CoD. I think the spreadsheet situation is a viable solution too, albeit less formal. We can definitely figure this out.

The plan is right now (could change) is to make it available to Premium Members only. Generally Premium members on Beyond are more serious and invested in the community, so we thought it would be a great addition as a big perk. Might eventually be made a public feature.

The plan is to have it where you can host your own 1v1, 2v2, 4v4 and even FFA tournaments.

No ETA on a launch, but it did not take very long to develop, just have to make sure there are no bugs and we can try it out.

Can non-premium members join? And would we be able to advertise these leagues for unofficial settings for H5? I know that beyond doesn't allow advertising tournaments all the time because they redirect people, or something like that.

Can non-premium members join? And would we be able to advertise these leagues for unofficial settings for H5? I know that beyond doesn't allow advertising tournaments all the time because they redirect people, or something like that.

Yes. The only premium restriction will be around "hosting/creating" tournaments. Regular members can join them. 

There will probably be a section where you can post community events using the Beyond platform. Does not matter if you use official settings, or heavily modified settings.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes. The only premium restriction will be around "hosting/creating" tournaments. Regular members can join them.

There will probably be a section where you can post community events using the Beyond platform. Does not matter if you use official settings, or heavily modified settings.

Thanks for the speedy response. This sounds awesome, only thing else I would ask for is an ability to make a league like Apollo is talking about

Thanks for the speedy response. This sounds awesome, only thing else I would ask for is an ability to make a league like Apollo is talking about

Yeah, the issue that is preventing me from really diving head first into this is that i dont want to separate aspects of this into separate systems. Given the audience for this, the more overhead on the part of the participants the less likely the participation i think.

Ideally there would be 1 system that could message participants and track week to week progress. The best option i see available right now would be something like:

Use the beyond community tourney system to create and track weekly matches and results.

Message team captains individually with matchups and let them communicate with other team members.

Use a forum thread to hold the roster lists and week to week results.

That would at least keep most of the management on these forums and maybe draw some traffic

Yeah, the issue that is preventing me from really diving head first into this is that i dont want to separate aspects of this into separate systems. Given the audience for this, the more overhead on the part of the participants the less likely the participation i think.

Ideally there would be 1 system that could message participants and track week to week progress. The best option i see available right now would be something like:

Use the beyond community tourney system to create and track weekly matches and results.

Message team captains individually with matchups and let them communicate with other team members.

Use a forum thread to hold the roster lists and week to week results.

That would at least keep most of the management on these forums and maybe draw some traffic

The less hassle in signing up would also draw more teams/participants because it can be frustrating to sign up for matches on a weekly basis and cause more no-shows.

I have a group all in our late 20's to mid 30's that play together a few times per week that would love to get involved in a more competitive environment than matchmaking without having to play against teams of people who have long periods of time to practice daily. Hope this can happen.

I think a small fee per time would be nice. 1. To make sure everyone is serious about it (weeds out a little the no shows IMO) and 2, compensate you/others that put their time into it.

I was hoping to be able to do some sort of monetary incentive like $100 to the regular season winning team and $100 to the tournament winner or something like that to incentivize people to play, but I don't want to ask for money because this isn't even a real think yet.  I'm still in the "Thought experiment" stages and i wouldn't want to screw people out of money if this crashes and burns.

I have a group all in our late 20's to mid 30's that play together a few times per week that would love to get involved in a more competitive environment than matchmaking without having to play against teams of people who have long periods of time to practice daily. Hope this can happen.

I think there are a lot of solo players that don't have people they actually like to play with.  We need some sort of matchmaking service that basically takes someones usual availability and can match them to people with the same availability.

Things have kinda slowed down for me since I entered college. I would love a non-stressful league where I can just have fun with a to4 and not care if we do amazing or not. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Things have kinda slowed down for me since I entered college. I would love a non-stressful league where I can just have fun with a to4 and not care if we do amazing or not. 

Awesome. the more interest the better.  Right now i'm in a holding pattern with this until we see how the "Community tournaments" feature that Cyren teased works.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Awesome. the more interest the better.  Right now i'm in a holding pattern with this until we see how the "Community tournaments" feature that Cyren teased works.

Sounds good can't wait  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really like the idea of a casual league. Unfortunately, I don't play H4, H5, MCC, or the PC Halos for obvious reasons. I don't like COD either. I get that this makes me look like an inflexible jerk, but I've always been fine with doing my own thing.

Sorry for the interruption...the current state of FPSes sticks in my craw, is all. If you decided to include any of the following, though, I'd be in:

Halo 3 OG

Halo Reach

Unreal Tournament (any version)

Rainbow Six Siege

Perfect Dark XBLA

Rocket League

Super Smash Bros. 4

Dirt Rally

Dirt Rally ftw!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd kind of prefer an age cut off. Not sure how it would be enforced though. I'd be interested in something like this. But I can totally see a pro going in with a smurf account and wrecking it for the rest of us. That's what they do.

This sounds like something I'd be totally down for. I'm 40, self employed with 3 kids and lucky to play a few hours a week. I'll be off the grid for the next couple months working in the mountains, but come November-ish time frame I'm game. Have a 30 year old brother that would play also.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd kind of prefer an age cut off. Not sure how it would be enforced though. I'd be interested in something like this. But I can totally see a pro going in with a smurf account and wrecking it for the rest of us. That's what they do.

Honestly i'm not too worried about that.  I think the pro's have better things to do than get in crappy practice against a bunch of old scrubs.  Pro's will play in the one-off beyond tourney's because they are for one night.  This league would be a couple nights a week for 6 - 8 weeks.  I think that kind of commitment would keep any pro's or even top-level AM's from playing since they need to focus on high-level practice.

One thing we may have to do is keep stats on every player.  If we get enough teams we could split into 2 leagues like an A league and a B league.  I wouldn't want to copy the Pro League relegation system for that though, it seems too serious that way.  we would have to include a "points" system like GB for that.  Assign points to players and teams with an average in the top 50% go into one league and the rest into another.

Thinking about it, i really don't like that idea for a couple of reasons:

1) It over-complicates things.  I am a fan of simplicity and think a system like that is too complicated and would come with too much overhead to manage for a semi-casual league ran by volunteers.

2) That would require at least 12 teams with a relatively even skill curve from one team to the next.

3) In any recreational league, there is always a team or 2 that destroy everyone.  My former softball league was like that, basketball league, the current actual pro-league.  I think the cost-benefit of trying too hard to avoid that isn't worth it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Super interested in this from a playing perspective, as well as development.

Basically a full stack web/ios/server/db dev at your service.  I'm not looking to spend 20 hours a week working on anything, but I'd certainly entertain the thought of some custom site/data back end for tracking progress, stats, etc. if it would get this whole thing moving along.

Free of charge obviously, my github page is a bit dry these days.

• Upvote (+1) 1