Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Could Ricochet be used in Competitive Play?

I have even higher hopes for Ricochet now; Bravo and Quinn said on stream that they went overboard with the customization options.

This should be their approach to everything.

I think 2 plot Pit is going to be excellent

Doju you are beating a dead horse with 2-plot. Whether we like it or not, it has as much of a chance of coming back as Solace in competitive play. If you want to try to bring something different to extraction, I think your odds are better with 3-plot. It could play better than 1-plot on larger maps like Abandon, Landfall, Monolith and potentially Vertigo.

This should be their approach to everything.

True; it is also worth noting that they have had many months to develop Ricochet, whereas other game types were not complete in time for launch. I swear, if MS rushes them to release Halo 5...

True; it is also worth noting that they have had many months to develop Ricochet, whereas other game types were not complete in time for launch. I swear, if MS rushes them to release Halo 5...

Won't be rushed if they stay on schedule. They've got a house full of AAA developers and a completed game engine to work from - so a lot of the improvements will come in the form of UI upgrades, maps, bugfixes and gametype updates. I guess they'll be doing a lot of overhaul work on the engine considering it's being ported to Xbox One. Maybe it'll turn out like Halo 4!

Won't be rushed if they stay on schedule. They've got a house full of AAA developers and a completed game engine to work from - so a lot of the improvements will come in the form of UI upgrades, maps, bugfixes and gametype updates. I guess they'll be doing a lot of overhaul work on the engine considering it's being ported to Xbox One. Maybe it'll turn out like Halo 4!

Apparently Halo 4 went through two phases; one was like Halo 2 with no armor abilities or default sprint or Infinity; they had to add in a whole ton of crap when MS said it was Halo... "JUST Halo." If they had completed one aspect and forced to work on an entirely new one, maybe that's one of the things that screwed them over in the end. They definitely need to prioritize what is necessary for the game, and hopefully they don't get bullied again.

Exact grifball doesn't have precision weapons so it actually isn't the same at all.

You can customize the gametype to have any weapons you want if I'm not mistaken.  Obviously vanilla grifball has gravity hammers.

Grifball forces the ball carrier's color, and has a few other non-customizable traits. Nothing we couldn't just fix within the game's scripting, but it's easier to just give us Ricochet.

Anyone know when the settings will be available?

Ricochet will be a part of the Bullseye Map Pack included in the Champions Bundle launching August 20. 2 weeks after the launch, Ricochet will be made available for everyone.

Although that doesn't mean you can't get it off someone in a custom.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just watching the Twitch replay of the SDCC tourney. It sounds like Ricochet will have a ton of customizable options which is very promising for competitive play.

The biggest one for me was to be able to disable the waypoint for the ball carrier. Could make for some sneaky runs like classic CTF.

I honestly think it is a viable option....We need to be more open minded about this than things in the past..It all depends on how we will be able to adjust the settings, along with how the community reacts to it...Looks alot of fun from the streams.

Known custom options

- Up to 3 balls in play.

- Progressive, Static, or Random ball spawns.

- Customizable ball spawn delay.

- Ball reset time (Time til ball resets if not touched)

- Hot potato timer. (Ball can explode)

- Carry marker modes. (Locked on, blip, friendly only, disabled)

- Toggleable friendly goal scoring. (can score in your own goal, awarding enemy team)

Endzone scoring and Hoop scoring. (Touchdown points, throw points)

- Auto pickup can be toggled off. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with Gobias that the concept of different point values for different scoring methods could create for a really interesting dynamic. But I think everyone is in agreement that the biggest concern will be throwing the ball across the map just because you can. I read in this thread earlier that player movement speed has an affect on the throwing distance so it might be possible, at least for some maps.

I wonder if it's possible to do different score zones. Would be cool to have one zone for 'touchdowns' only and another for throwing it that was much smaller, but a bit more exposed.

Quinn in GC's stream said that you can change the score if the ball was thrown. (Example: 0)

The only thing is that people can throw the ball near the goal and someone do a touchdown. Idk, maybe we can work it out somehow, see all the options and give a verdict. 

Quinn in GC's stream said that you can change the score if the ball was thrown. (Example: 0)

The only thing is that people can throw the ball near the goal and someone do a touchdown. Idk, maybe we can work it out somehow, see all the options and give a verdict. 

Throwing the ball won't be an issue if the goals are small enough.

Just watching the Twitch replay of the SDCC tourney. It sounds like Ricochet will have a ton of customizable options which is very promising for competitive play.

The biggest one for me was to be able to disable the waypoint for the ball carrier. Could make for some sneaky runs like classic CTF.

343 giveth and 343 taketh away..

Known custom options

- Hot potato timer. (Ball can explode)

omigahd assault! ATM there are no good explosions in the game, the best modders can do is the grifball goal animation, which looks kinda silly..

The custom games options on this one are looking up..

I want everything, EVERYTHING to be variable in Halo 5's custom games options. Seriously, 343, it's the way to go; Ricochet looks to have more potential than any of the game types that were shipped, barring Slayer and Extraction, obviously.

Why have we not just done a bomb gametype using extraction where its a 10s arm, instant extraction?

Can't carry the bomb, can't disarm the bomb, can't throw the bomb off of the map.