SMARTAN 427

H5: Evolved settings/details [V4 update, Part 2-MAPS!]

You guys need more time?

Yes, but if Smartan and Soul don't budge oh well. A lot of the people posting feel like their feedback should be heard because they did a ton of testing and refining
  • Upvote (+1) 2

You guys need more time?

Technically, not really, since we have a pretty good hold on what we want after months of testing over the course of nearly a year.

The main issue is, we have absolutely no idea what and how far 343I would let us go with the classic playlist. IF they even bother with us in the first place.

This is where it is extremely frustrating to not yet have any direct communication with those at 343I who are in charge of the gametype settings.

Me and S0UL FLAME are anticipating having to make a bunch of compromises to our otherwise established settings in this thread.

Assuming they accept us in, if we don't have to worry as much about making compromises, it would certainly be nice to know. Especially from the gametype curators themselves.

Then that is where we can truly start.

Tac Mag only starts, no default shield settings, no autos, no rifles, no splinters, no default grenade radius, and no 2 shot beatdowns, either.

This is trash.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@GH057ayame

We need you in here. If we are able to get our settings into matchmaking for the classic playlist, please let us know:

Just what can we get away with here?

Aside from @@Mythik Nick's quick abbreviation of the settings, we really wish that we could have simply just buffed only the Magnum to a 4sk (something only 343I can currently do) and tone down the magnetism and projectile tracking on the sandbox as whole.

The ideal 4sk Magnum would take 4 shots to pop shields, but the 4th could kill via the addition of bleedthrough if it was a headshot.

That would skip the health and shield modifications, and possibly even grenade blast radius as well. The default 3 shot melee with the Magnum would not have any issues with the shield flair being different in this case as well(one of the things that bugged me personally, although admittedly somewhat flawed).

But really, just really, will this even be given the light of day? That is what we really want to know.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Technically, not really, since we have a pretty good hold on what we want after months of testing over the course of nearly a year.

The main issue is, we have absolutely no idea what and how far 343I would let us go with the classic playlist. IF they even bother with us in the first place.

This is where it is extremely frustrating to not yet have any direct communication with those at 343I who are in charge of the gametype settings.

Me and S0UL FLAME are anticipating having to make a bunch of compromises to our otherwise established settings in this thread.

Assuming they accept us in, if we don't have to worry as much about making compromises, it would certainly be nice to know. Especially from the gametype curators themselves.

Then that is where we can truly start.

I literally don't understand the logic of "I assume we're going to have to make a bunch of compromises, so let's point out that we don't care."

No Smartan, that's not how you market anything you're presenting/selling. It honestly has nothing to do with the Evolved settings, this is general advice and I'm actually being legitimate here.

There has been a ton of affirmation in regards to the settings, from myself included, about the impact of each and every one of these modifications. And you know me, if there's anything I feel we'd have to compromise on, it's the weapon set on the maps which can easily be rectified. The settings, as they were, in my honest opinion should be how they were. Not "but if you guys don't want them, that's okay." 

Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for your own disappointment and the settings will be lackluster. Present the settings how they were set and created, don't make changes because you think you may need to make compromises. You do that after you've presented your content and you receive feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I literally don't understand the logic of "I assume we're going to have to make a bunch of compromises, so let's point out that we don't care."

No Smartan, that's not how you market anything you're presenting/selling. It honestly has nothing to do with the Evolved settings, this is general advice and I'm actually being legitimate here.

There has been a ton of affirmation in regards to the settings, from myself included, about the impact of each and every one of these modifications. And you know me, if there's anything I feel we'd have to compromise on, it's the weapon set on the maps which can easily be rectified. The settings, as they were, in my honest opinion should be how they were. Not "but if you guys don't want them, that's okay."

Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for your own disappointment and the settings will be lackluster. Present the settings how they were set and created, don't make changes because you think you may need to make compromises. You do that after you've presented your content and you receive feedback.

I really appreciate you saying this, a lot.

I'm not gonna lie, even after all this time, there is an extremely high amount of doubt on my mind that I am having a really tough time shaking.

But, you do make a damn good point. I definitely don't want to shoot myself in the foot. But I am also afraid of over extending our goals.

However, what would you recommend from here then? Say screw the design document that I had S0UL FLAME type up and go back to enforcing using the Opening Post of this thread as THE ultimate design document for Evolved? Which is what I was going to do at first?

Also, in reference to the MLG Evolved comment earlier, that is basically how it seems to me that a good portion of our playtesters want the classic playlist to turn out. With no rifles or autos, and the classic select few power weapons, with no radar.

With that version of Evolved in mind I am honestly expecting 343I to be like 'hahaha LOL NOPE!!!

They did remove ARs as a starting weapon from HCS.... but would they actually do the same for everything in this playlist?

At this point I really just want so many answers from 343I.

The only reason why we added that we're willing to compromise is because of 343's track record. Is suddenly acknowledging the thing they do out in the open the one thing that will make the whole document void?

I'm indifferent about any of the AR/No AR vs No Rifles vs No autos on map etc etc. because I haven't tested them personally.

All I'm saying is, present the settings how they're intended to be played and explain the reasoning behind each of the settings. No talk of compromise is even necessary, we're all adults here and if a talk of compromise is necessary, I would hope @@GH057ayame @@Unyshek, et al, would come and speak to you two personally. They may have some suggestions on what they feel could work in the settings and then would be the time to be adamant about compromising ___ for movement settings.

So no, you saying it doesn't make your entire document void, but it's not something I would highlight. My main disagreement was changing settings (2-shot melee for example) because you think you may need to compromise. That makes no sense. 

If I'm going to talk about that one specific mechanic right this second, it's that that particular setting is extremely abusable. You have to remember in reference to H2 and H3 with 4 shot kills and two shot melees, you have to remember that those guns shoot slower than the pistol. Two shots are just entirely too fast for these settings.

Now I won't go into my personal preference about each of the settings as they currently stand, I'll leave that to you all, but I just wanted to point out that I heavily disagree with the premise of not presenting the settings to their full potential. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

The point Deucey is making is that you don't make a document explaining what you want, while IMMEDIATELY compromising without even discussing. What if we present the ideal settings and Ghost goes "Oh shit that's dope I'm down" right off the bat? Then we have our settings and we are all happy. But if he doesn't want that and wants a compromise? Okay now we discuss. Why in the world would you compromise without even being told to lol? Present what is wanted and present it with confidence. Saying things that you already think might be "weird" or "jarring" could give the reader thoughts that they wouldn't normally have thought of. It's like presenting a counter-argument to someone before they even speak. Just go for the gold and go from there.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Be confident in what you're selling, Evolved is lit.

And if you don't want to compromise, like, don't... Do what you feel is right not whats popular, thats what its all about

• Upvote (+1) 2

Before you read the following please remember my previous caveats; I do not speak for 343 as it relates to game type settings, and the settings are not 'set' yet.

From my understanding they are hoping to include more than one game type setting. At the very least, here could be a traditional AR start variant with 25m Radar, and a no Radar 'sweaty' variant. Focus on the second variant (with no compromise) and i will present your proposal to the team. 

I believe the idea is to match the game types to each specific map. For instance, the competitive game types will be played on the maps you would have found in tournaments (Slayer on The Pit), and the more casual game types (AR start 1 Flag) would be played on maps like High Ground.

I should also mention that myself and the Scripters Guild are nearing completion of extremely precise static power weapon timers. Right now we have Rockets which spawn on EXACT 3, 6, 9, & 12 minute timers. Today we are trying to figure out the scripts for proper cleanup for dropped weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Before you read the following please remember my previous caveats; I do not speak for 343 as it relates to game type settings, and the settings are not 'set' yet.

From my understanding they are hoping to include more than one game type setting. At the very least, here could be a traditional AR start variant with 25m Radar, and a no Radar 'sweaty' variant. Focus on the second variant (with no compromise) and i will present your proposal to the team.

I believe the idea is to match the game types to each specific map. For instance, the competitive game types will be played on the maps you would have found in tournaments (Slayer on The Pit), and the more casual game types (AR start 1 Flag) would be played on maps like High Ground.

I should also mention that myself and the Scripters Guild are nearing completion of extremely precise static power weapon timers. Right now we have Rockets which spawn on EXACT 3, 6, 9, & 12 minute timers. Today we are trying to figure out the scripts for proper cleanup for dropped weapons.

Thank you for this. If there will be more than one variant, then that pretty much settles it for us.

In that case give us about another 8 hours or so and we will be set and ready (gotta wait until after work for both me and S0UL FLAME).

Although I do wonder if at least the movement will be the same between them, but obviously we have no idea.

Static weapons without weapon pads? Sounds cool. Do you guys have a way to prevent them being dirtied? If you guys still couldn't quite nail it would you go back to weapon pads?

Static weapons without weapon pads? Sounds cool. Do you guys have a way to prevent them being dirtied? If you guys still couldn't quite nail it would you go back to weapon pads?

"dirtied?" Not familiar with the term. Remember; Map Guy here.

No Weapon Pads is the order i received.The way we are doing this is unique in the Halo universe. We are hiding 5 of each individual power weapon, within the wall or under the floor, and scripting them to snap into position with individual timers. This allows us to be accurate to the 20th of a second. If you are holding a Rocket at the next 3 minute interval the next one will spawn into place, if that's what you are referring to. If the Rockets are never picked up they will despawn 10 seconds before the next Rockets are scheduled to appear to prevent doubling of ammo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"dirtied?" Not familiar with the term. Remember; Map Guy here.

No Weapon Pads is the order i received.The way we are doing this is unique in the Halo universe. We are hiding 5 of each individual power weapon, within the wall or under the floor, and scripting them to snap into position with individual timers. This allows us to be accurate to the 20th of a second. If you are holding a Rocket at the next 3 minute interval the next one will spawn into place, if that's what you are referring to. If the Rockets are never picked up they will despawn 10 seconds before the next Rockets are scheduled to appear to prevent doubling of ammo.

"Dirtied" is a phrase that came from Halo 3 and basically means delaying the next spawn.

Basically, let's say Rockets spawn statically every three minutes. So at 15:00, 12:00, etc.

Let's say on the second pickup (12:00) you pick up the weapon at exactly as it drops, there was a sort of glitch (Dirtying) that would allow the person who picked up rockets to basically "delay" the next spawn by X number of seconds by constantly moving until his desired delayed time (in which he will then stand still for 3 seconds to effectively end the glitch) so that way he can determine when the next rockets will spawn and the other team won't know.

So using that 12:00 example, if I grab it at exactly 12:00 and constantly move for 27 seconds and then stand still for 3 seconds, this has effectively delayed the next spawn by 30 seconds. So the next spawn that should have been at 9:00, now comes up at 8:30.

That's the basics of it, but based on the description of your scripts, it seems this may not be an issue because they are being controlled on their own independent timers; and it's actually pretty smart. Good stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Delivered.

Some last minute stuff on the way from SMARTAN. He wanted to do some last minute stuff.  :)

Edit: Alright. Stuff is done.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Alright, so as of now, I will no longer be the primary editor for Evolved. I'll be taking a backseat to the project in support of @@S0UL FLAME, who I have passed the torch to. His new thread is here:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/15402-evolved-settings-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=947377

I want to apologize to everyone, especially the Evolved gameplay testers, for letting my pride prevent proper implementation of feedback on more than one occasion. I don't mean to be that type of person, and so I won't continue to hinder the growth of Evolved.

All I did was take fast paced Classic movement, perfect the jump settings, and combine that with 4sk Magnum settings.

Now, don't let me stop you from taking that, and running with it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Hey all,

Felt the need to comment in both Evolved threads, so feel free to reply back in either as well. First of all, it's great to finally touch base with everyone here! I've heard about these settings and the community a few months back, but I never ended up playtesting with them unfortunately. I'm hoping that we can get some Evolved games in though here soon, as I'm now currently caught up with this thread, the SMARTAN427 YouTube interview, and the new thread. :)

Having said that, I definitely want to let everyone know that there's been a bit of a miscommunication in relation to our plans and everyone here. I'm in the process of fleshing out a proper Halo 3 classic playlist. What was originally envisioned as a hybrid classic playlist has now been focused into a Halo 3-themed experience with 1:1 Forge remakes. Consequently, we're aiming to sculpt a classic set of maps and modes that appropriately reflect some of the favorite combinations that were seen across the Matchmaking landscape in Halo 3. Nevertheless, @@NOKYARD was instructed to scour the internet for possible map candidates... which eventually led him to this section of the "classic playlist" dialogue. While I wholeheartedly respect, appreciate, and flat-out admire the work, testing, and iteration that was done on these Evolved settings, this was not the intended experience that we sought out to create this time around.

However, we do aim to take the findings and the understandings from your extensive testing to further our current plans. For example, I'm a huge fan of the Jump Height and Jump Gravity settings that you all landed on. Those changes, along with a few others, will greatly impact our choices and playtesting for this classic playlist - so thank you for testing the various ideas and suggestions from the community (as it makes our jobs a little bit easier  ;)).

Regarding the ongoing question of "will we ever see an Evolved playlist?"... that will really be up to the community. When it comes to playlist additions, we have to take all things into consideration, especially in terms of population numbers. Thankfully though, we do have the luxury of social rotational playlists now, so don't lose hope just yet! We're always keeping our ear to the ground, so stay passionate and stay focused. In the meantime, I'm hoping that we can all team up to create the best playlist possible for our proposed plans. I'll be stopping in here periodically, so feel free to chime in, ask questions, etc; I'll answer everything to the best of my ability.

It's great knowing that there's a very eager group of players trying to recreate some of the old nuances of classic Halo gameplay... so please feel free to lend a hand if you can!

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'll take it. You are making me install Halo 5 again. 

On another note, you absolutely crushed my hopes of having a Halo 3 remaster this year - It's not happening. 

Hey all,

Felt the need to comment in both Evolved threads, so feel free to reply back in either as well. First of all, it's great to finally touch base with everyone here! I've heard about these settings and the community a few months back, but I never ended up playtesting with them unfortunately. I'm hoping that we can get some Evolved games in though here soon, as I'm now currently caught up with this thread, the SMARTAN427 YouTube interview, and the new thread. :)

Having said that, I definitely want to let everyone know that there's been a bit of a miscommunication in relation to our plans and everyone here. I'm in the process of fleshing out a proper Halo 3 classic playlist. What was originally envisioned as a hybrid classic playlist has now been focused into a Halo 3-themed experience with 1:1 Forge remakes. Consequently, we're aiming to sculpt a classic set of maps and modes that appropriately reflect some of the favorite combinations that were seen across the Matchmaking landscape in Halo 3. Nevertheless, @@NOKYARD was instructed to scour the internet for possible map candidates... which eventually led him to this section of the "classic playlist" dialogue. While I wholeheartedly respect, appreciate, and flat-out admire the work, testing, and iteration that was done on these Evolved settings, this was not the intended experience that we sought out to create this time around.

However, we do aim to take the findings and the understandings from your extensive testing to further our current plans. For example, I'm a huge fan of the Jump Height and Jump Gravity settings that you all landed on. Those changes, along with a few others, will greatly impact our choices and playtesting for this classic playlist - so thank you for testing the various ideas and suggestions from the community (as it makes our jobs a little bit easier ;)).

Regarding the ongoing question of "will we ever see an Evolved playlist?"... that will really be up to the community. When it comes to playlist additions, we have to take all things into consideration, especially in terms of population numbers. Thankfully though, we do have the luxury of social rotational playlists now, so don't lose hope just yet! We're always keeping our ear to the ground, so stay passionate and stay focused. In the meantime, I'm hoping that we can all team up to create the best playlist possible for our proposed plans. I'll be stopping in here periodically, so feel free to chime in, ask questions, etc; I'll answer everything to the best of my ability.

It's great knowing that there's a very eager group of players trying to recreate some of the old nuances of classic Halo gameplay... so please feel free to lend a hand if you can!

-Ghost

Oh god please don't just take sprint out and leave the speed at default.

Oh god please don't just take sprint out and leave the speed at default.

I think that's the most likely plan, and don't forget H2 BR starts.