SMARTAN 427

H5: Evolved settings/details [V4 update, Part 2-MAPS!]

It's not really exhausting because you're not just hitting buttons, you're executing them in a very specific order under specific conditions. What's hard about it is using them at the proper moment. Completing a Z motion on a stick isn't hard, but using it at the proper time does require skill.

If there were input windows, I'd agree. But jumping against a wall and holding X to get an automatic clamber isn't skillful, it's just fluff. There's no penalty if you attempt to do it where you can't, no penalty if you thrust before you've cooled down, no penalty if you pull the trigger during the thrust animation. It's not like starcraft, tekken, streetfighter, or hell even halo2. 

It's even worse than that. Lets look at clamber's predecessor. In order to scale a wall in halo 3, you had to aim at a wall to get your knees to touch a specific texture, crouch at that time, jump and un-crouch in a strict time window. Clamber is literally wheelchair halo. You could also design maps without textures to eliminate the technique which gives you more options to work with which makes better maps. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Some clips of the evolved settings:

Doubles feels so good with these settings.  Doubles on Downrush all the way. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

#pushfordoubles

They feel much better on these settings imo. It's much less of a clusterfuck. I get an mcc halo 1 feel out of it due to the easier bullet magnetism. MCC isn't perfect version of halo 1 obviously but I'll still take that 100 times over other halo games.

Seriously everyone in this thread should try an evenly matched doubles game on Downrush. It was easily the most fun I've ever had in Halo 5 and everyone who played the match loved it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm fully in support of this, for a few reasons.

Doubles is objectively (according to me) the best format for competitive Halo.

Halo 5's spawn system seems to work much better with 4 players than with 8.

Finding one bro to team with is far more convenient than finding 3.

Doubles is great.

Reduced team shot effectiveness.

Doubles.

• Upvote (+1) 6

@@QuietMan uploaded a 2v2 game on Downrush that I recorded with the Game DVR for me. Unfortunately, the first two kills of the game aren't in it (my fault)(actually, it's 343's fault for making theater mode so broken that I have to record gameplay as I'm playing. It's also M$'s fault for not letting me record more than 5 damn minutes at a time), but other than that it's a full game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Dev I'm confused why you come to this thread when you don't like the settings.

I support the movement for people to get settings and things they like in mm. I also like following the changes made to the gametype since I saw some problems with it originally outside of the stuff that I prefer being absent completely. Rebalancing the nades and nade jumping being removed etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I support the movement for people to get settings and things they like in mm. I also like following the changes made to the gametype since I saw some problems with it originally outside of the stuff that I prefer being absent completely. Rebalancing the nades and nade jumping being removed etc.

Name me 5 actual gameplay problems in the settings you've never played. Enlighten me oh glorious Sheriff.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Some clips of the evolved settings:

Doubles feels so good with these settings.  Doubles on Downrush all the way. 

giphy.gif

Me watching that vid making sure i wasn't montaged..

• Upvote (+1) 5

When did nade jumping get removed, and why? I thought it was a great risk/reward play, as it was in H1 and H3.  I'd love to hear the reasoning behind its removal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When did nade jumping get removed, and why? I thought it was a great risk/reward play, as it was in H1 and H3.  I'd love to hear the reasoning behind its removal.

Knockback is really annoying. Being made 1 shot in addition to being sent flying on a predictable path combined with the lack of aerial control and how easy it is to headshot in this game wasn't very fun. There also aren't really any spots worth the risk of nade jumping to on the maps we usually play on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Knockback is really annoying. Being made 1 shot in addition to being sent flying on a predictable path combined with the lack of aerial control and how easy it is to headshot in this game wasn't very fun. There also aren't really any spots worth the risk of nade jumping to on the maps we usually play on.

Ah ok. That's a shame :(

How is it different from H1 and H3? Just a lot more knockback?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah ok. That's a shame :(

How is it different from H1 and H3? Just a lot more knockback?

Yea the knockback was pretty bad. It stopped a lot of flag caps by launching you away from the cap point and if you were hiding behind cover (like a pillar) it would jump you out and in the air, which is a death sentence in these settings. I want to say it was similar to CE knockback, but those nades had to fully settle before going off. We just figured made jumping wasn't really gonna be used often enough to warrant all the other frustrations it brought along.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I appreciate the explanation.  That bums me out bc I really miss the nade jumping aspect of Halo.

Hey @@Devaneaux I'm still waiting on some form of a reply. I want to hear your feedback. Or just neg rep, no big deal.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Anyone looking to play a few games of this? I haven't gotten to try it yet. GT: Kantzr

Anyone looking to play a few games of this? I haven't gotten to try it yet. GT: Kantzr

I didn't really hop on the forums too much yesterday so I didn't see this. I'll definitely add you. My tag is FeaR DeucEy. We're always looking for new people to come out and play!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I need to learn our asyms. I got smacked on them last night and needed to stop playing. I'd also like to start muting the other team. My brain doesn't let me play without caring, and I want to call out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anybody running any customs tonight? I can't take anymore default H5 and I'm craving to play the classic settings again, I haven't played them in quite a few days. lol

I'll try to share the most entertaining objective play I've made tonight

Posted this in the Halo 5 thread, but making sure to post this here as well.

I created the Evolved Customs Spartan Company. If you guys are looking to join, just message me or Request to Join on Halowaypoint. I know it's going to be a little tough to build because of Achilles and stuff like that, however, over time, I think we can grow it.

The links to the discord if you haven't already joined as well as the Spartan Company are now in my sig.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So, kinda just a bump because Evolved is certainly still alive and well(just mostly kept in our discord), with a bit of an update as to the topics of discussion between the Evolved crew.

Some likely potential edits to the Oddball and Assault gametypes, such as removal of the Ball respawn timers, removing the random Ball spawn points so that it is consistent, and extending the dropped Oddball reset time. Also arming the Bomb might have a slight time decrease.

Finding optimal maps for the above has also been a recent goal, and I am going to be working with @@-DeucEy- to further edit and refine our current maps for optimal gameplay.

Eventually a V3 Update will be released with further refined gametypes as well as a more official list of maps for the first time will be posted when its done and ready.

• Upvote (+1) 3