SMARTAN 427

H5: Evolved settings/details [V4 update, Part 2-MAPS!]

Nah movement speed is fine. Sucks that strafe can't be crisper.

And CQB is really hard in CE pistol battles too, we need to stop hand holding. I know the aiming sucks but it's more frustrating to get melted with ease every time imo. I don't see people in CE whining about NHE and offhost being hard to compensate for. Being able to kill slow players with huge amounts of magnetism does not make the aiming less frustrating.

The argument is moot if we can't do anything about it though. I guess we have to live with it. Still a billion times more fun than h5 default.

Nah movement speed is fine. Sucks that strafe can't be crisper.

And CQB is really hard in CE pistol battles too, we need to stop hand holding. I know the aiming sucks but it's more frustrating to get melted with ease every time imo. I don't see people in CE whining about NHE and offhost being hard to compensate for. Being able to kill slow players with huge amounts of magnetism does not make the aiming less frustrating.

The argument is moot if we can't do anything about it though. I guess we have to live with it. Still a billion times more fun than h5 default.

That's the thing, though. It's not just hard. It's artificially hard. There is a difference between difficulty because of pure execution skill requirement and difficulty as a result of controls that don't consistently do what you want them to do. H1 gun fights would be obnoxious with H5 aiming problems.

This isn't hand-holding. It's just the reality of this game. The aiming is trash and it feels worse when people can actually move quickly and strafe (which they can in Evolved). You get melted quickly when you aren't strafing because of the magnetism, but 1v1s can take plenty of time when both people are jamming on crouch and mixing up their movement. I just don't think making the strafe even snappier would really improve much. It wold just accentuate the fundamental flaws.

I mean it's not even artificially difficult though, it's still artificially easier than the h1 pistol even though h1 has a slower strafe and lower perfect ttk. I think if the aiming made it so you need to routinely unload a whole clip then yes I'd agree. But that's not the case. I end up getting more frustrated that I'm dying so quickly and can't turn and start dueling them. I still feel like this game is rewarding people a little too much for just happening to be behind someone which if that happens to me I just run to cover and don't dare to peek because I know I'll be dead in 2-3 shots if my opponent is even half decent. H1 is a successful competitive game because you can still confidently attack with no shields, which promotes more action.

Again, I still find it better than any halo since CE. Just pointing out some things that I wish to see. Unfortunately it seems like we don't have other options.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean it's not even artificially difficult though, it's still artificially easier than the h1 pistol even though h1 has a slower strafe and lower perfect ttk. I think if the aiming made it so you need to routinely unload a whole clip then yes I'd agree. But that's not the case. I end up getting more frustrated that I'm dying so quickly and can't turn and start dueling them. I still feel like this game is rewarding people a little too much for just happening to be behind someone which if that happens to me I just run to cover and don't dare to peek because I know I'll be dead in 2-3 shots if my opponent is even half decent. H1 is a successful competitive game because you can still confidently attack with no shields, which promotes more action.

Again, I still find it better than any halo since CE. Just pointing out some things that I wish to see. Unfortunately it seems like we don't have other options.

Halo 5 also has waaaaaaaaaaay slower sensitivities. If you aren't playing on like 3 horizontal you'll never turn on people effectively.

You're talking about two separate factors here. H5 is artificially easier because of the bullet magnetism, but snappy strafe is effective in large part because of the goofy aiming system. Bad controls are not a good way to create a skill gap. Imagine if a game with mouse aim had extreme amounts of acceleration and deceleration. That would be BAD and creating artificial difficulty.

It's pretty easy to land all 4 shots on a target that doesn't know you're there, but the second you need to make medium corrections to your aim, it's fucking windmill city. It's very clearly tuned for a game with minimal strafing capabilities, which is why I just don't think even more of a strafe would make the game play better. At a certain point, you're just over-compensating for a fundamental problem with the game that you really can't avoid and making that problem worse. Overall, I agree with you. I just don't think there's anyway to really make it better on our end. 343 would need to do things like tone down the bullet magnetism and actually fucking fix the aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're talking about two separate factors here. H5 is artificially easier because of the bullet magnetism, but snappy strafe is effective in large part because of the goofy aiming system. Bad controls are not a good way to create a skill gap. Imagine if a game with mouse aim had extreme amounts of acceleration and deceleration. That would be BAD and creating artificial difficulty.

It's pretty easy to land all 4 shots on a target that doesn't know you're there, but the second you need to make medium corrections to your aim, it's fucking windmill city. It's very clearly tuned for a game with minimal strafing capabilities, which is why I just don't think even more of a strafe would make the game play better. At a certain point, you're just over-compensating for a fundamental problem with the game that you really can't avoid and making that problem worse. Overall, I agree with you. I just don't think there's anyway to really make it better on our end. 343 would need to do things like tone down the bullet magnetism and actually fucking fix the aiming.

Sure the game is fundamentally flawed due to the aiming but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to create a wider aiming skillgap between perfect kill time and average kill time. It sounds like you're saying we shouldn't bother because the aiming sucks which doesn't make sense to me. I think we can all agree that even though the aiming feels bad there's still a skillgap with it. I mean why else would we play at all?

Sure the game is fundamentally flawed due to the aiming but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to create a wider aiming skillgap between perfect kill time and average kill time. It sounds like you're saying we shouldn't bother because the aiming sucks which doesn't make sense to me. I think we can all agree that even though the aiming feels bad there's still a skillgap with it. I mean why else would we play at all?

Obviously, we have already taken those steps, hence the movement and strafe. My point is that all difficulty is not created equal and I think further increases to strafe or movement would create more frustration than they would increase the skill gap. A big skill gap is pretty meaningless if it plays like shit. We're mostly on the same page here. I just don't think much beyond turning down bullet magnetism and improving the aiming system would be an improvement at this point.

Wow this looks amazing. Watched some videos and clips. Great work. This is the halo 5 I would play. That pit video. Looked real good. Clean gamepla without the abilities and radar (you can actually flank and communication is needed).

Might have to re-install h5 just for this. Salute to every single person that took part in this. Love when the community comes through in the clutch.

We'd love to have you play sometime my dude, you might actually enjoy Halo 5 for once lmao
  • Upvote (+1) 1

We'd love to have you play sometime my dude, you might actually enjoy Halo 5 for once lmao

Re-installing h5 right now. Will check out the settings sometime sat night..

• Upvote (+1) 3

Re-installing h5 right now. Will check out the settings sometime sat night..

Never thought i'd see the day you'd willingly play h5

this ones in the history books fellas

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is honestly the funnest lobby we've had the entire the time we've been running Evolved customs. 

God I love these settings so much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone who plays these please hit me up. I'm down to play customs whenever. I appear offline sometimes but send me a message or fr saying its for these settings and I'm in.

My Gt is TBRNER

Anyone who plays these please hit me up. I'm down to play customs whenever. I appear offline sometimes but send me a message or fr saying its for these settings and I'm in.

My Gt is TBRNER

Join the discord chat too

The goal of this project is to hopefully get 343I's attention and maybe perhaps get a playlist in matchmaking.

That's gonna be a hard one.

But i'm sure one day it will happen

Edit: Wrong thread. Let me move this over to the discussion about tweaking CTF

Add GT:  DOBZY for Evolved Customs.  Just shoot me a message that it's for Evolved, as I can't stomach to play anything other than this.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

GT: McCaz

Not on a whole lot, but these settings look awesome.  I joined the discord as well

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey my GT is reapers revival and I'd like to play these settings. I did a 1v1 with my friend FD Saint and he loved them. We just don't know many who like to play good settings like this and it seems people on beyond do. If I'm online hit me up with an invite I'm a good player and I have a mic. Would be awesome if we got a ranked playlist with these settings. I'd take a social too but ranked be better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Has anybody talked about taking DMRs out?   We were talking about it last night while playing and it seemed the consensus that they should probably be removed. 

I get it that DMR is better for that sweet spot where the pistol starts to drop shots at medium to long range, but DMR also seems easier than the pistol at close range too. 

Basically, close range battles skill wise:

(pistol vs pistol)  >  (dmr vs dmr)  >  (dmr vs pistol).  

The only good thing I think DMR brings to the table is filling in at medium to long ranges like across the top of shift space or snipe tower to snipe tower on the pit.  

Good maps like White Cell don't have really long sight lines like the above so DMR is not necessary at all.  Maps that do have really long sight lines, drm's seem to degrade the skill of close range battles. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Has anybody talked about taking DMRs out?   We were talking about it last night while playing and it seemed the consensus that they should probably be removed. 

I get it that DMR is better for that sweet spot where the pistol starts to drop shots at medium to long range, but DMR also seems easier than the pistol at close range too. 

Basically, close range battles skill wise:

(pistol vs pistol)  >  (dmr vs dmr)  >  (dmr vs pistol).  

The only good thing I think DMR brings to the table is filling in at medium to long ranges like across the top of shift space or snipe tower to snipe tower on the pit.  

Good maps like White Cell don't have really long sight lines like the above so DMR is not necessary at all.  Maps that do have really long sight lines, drm's seem to degrade the skill of close range battles. 

Yes we have talked about this a ton actually and that isn't the consensus at all. I assume you were playing with arglactable, seeing as he is the biggest advocate of removing that out of everyone simply because he dies to it. The thing about this is, for one, we already nerfed the timers for them. They have a longer respawn time now and an even shorter despawn time. There's usually only one or two of these in play at one time. It would be one thing if it broke gameplay, like the BR did; I have been able to justify that with multiple communities with no issue. When Killmachine originally brought this up that we were removing the BR, DMR, Light Rifle, Carbine, and SMGs on Waypoint, the reaction that was received immediately was expected and what I keep saying with this argument. "Wait, you're removing those weapons.. Stupid decision."

Removing a weapon simply because it's better, is a terrible reason to remove it from the game. It's a weapon on the map.. It should be better. Nerf? Sure thing (which we've done to an extent). But just outright stripping weapons out of the sandbox because the gun is better than mine is literally the worst route we can take as far as promoting these settings. We've gone the route of exchanging the scopes on some of the maps to get mitigate some of the distance advantage (Narrows for example).

I'm down for weapon variety but drying the weapon sandbox is going to make for a boring experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not that arg is dying to it, it's that utter halo 5 noobs like myself pick it up and start getting triple kills when previously I was getting my ass kicked. I went from losing most of my pistol battles to winning literally 90% of my fights with a DMR.

Personally I'm in favour of DMR start because I hate the pistol "scope" that much. Either get rid of the DMR or make the pistol irrelevant imo.

• Upvote (+1) 3