SMARTAN 427

H5: Evolved settings/details [V4 update, Part 2-MAPS!]

I have no idea. I, like the vast majority of Halo fans, have not played H5 in months.

I started to respond to the other post but then caught this. I think it's tough to talk about this topic if you aren't real active with these settings. I am not active with these settings either but just offering insight from a possible TO's perspective, since I have tried running and getting others to run tournaments for dead games.

If you really want I can start to write my response again to the original post but it's a lot of assumption again on my part from a TO/ business stand point.

Anyway like I said I would contribute something small to the prize pool if you guys showed me you had a good number of teams already committed to this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's tough to talk about this topic if you aren't real active with these settings

I don't see why that would be true

At it's core my questions is this; Why has the comp Halo community stopped trying to create comp settings when we've been given the most customisable Halo to date. Especially when the default game is once again, not popular at all.

@@Teapot

I appreciate you trying to help or even attempting to :) , but i don't think this "project' (i guess you could call it that?) is anywhere near that sort of popularity or polish. Still has ways to go. Need people to be motivated to play before tournaments happen otherwise we'd all be wasting our time.

We'll see how things go i guess. 

I don't see why that would be true

At it's core my questions is this; Why has the comp Halo community stopped trying to create comp settings when we've been given the most customisable Halo to date. Especially when the default game is once again, not popular at all.

I think it's true cause neither party has an actual understanding of how big the community is or who would show up other than pure speculation. 

We both obviously like the settings but disagree on just how many people would sign up. Just curious, when did you join the Halo community? Not trying to be elitist about that but what you just stated has been stated since Halo CE, and if it were up to me that would be our main game. There's always been that trend of people moving on to whats most popular and not whats most competitive.

I would much rather every Evolved player come play Halo CE but I understand that some don't prefer that or want to play a more popular game. Again, I would very much like to see a Halo 5 Evolved  tournament. At the very least if you guys get 8's going you should do some sort of extended series with the best players that are involved in the community. I know I've seen gameplays but high level 8's would help.

@@Killmachine that's pretty much what I was getting at. It's hard to expect anyone to run an online tournament for something like this. If this does take off and grows then I can try to help support it. I am not an active player but at least support the settings changes. I just enjoy other competitive shooters more than Halo 5 right now regardless of settings so I just lurk instead.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly, the reality is that there aren't very many people playing these settings and I don't see that changing to a significant degree. There's aren't enough people for a tournament. Fundamentally, and I'm not sure if I've said this on Beyond specifically, I think the problem is that Halo 5 OVERALL feels like shit and the specific issues that made me not want to play any of it, Evolved settings included, are not going to be fixed. Aiming, overall weapon balance, aim assist/magnetism, horrendous sound design, retina-searing lighting, ridiculously inconsistent servers, lack of LAN or split-screen, and so forth. It's hard to stay motivated to play/test/promote niche custom settings for a game I don't enjoy at all even if I think this is a significant improvement. And, frankly, I think the primary reason vanilla H5 has any competitive scene at all is that 343 keeps throwing money at prize pools/guaranteed pay-outs for the top 8. Evolved doesn't have this, doesn't have any match-making/ranks, doesn't have a population, etc. Evolved isn't going to grow significantly while H5 continues to die.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How easy is it to get involved in an evolved game type? Would adding "evolved" tag to custom browser work? I've tried it a few times to no avail but that maybe because no one is playing at that time?

I did bookmark all the evolved stuff from smartan a good while back but I'd like to know if they have changed recently so I could maybe start my own custom lobby with the latest settings you guys are using.

I'd like to maybe try them out for myself with my mates as I suck too bad to try and hang with you lot.

At the very least the evolved settings could then have one other custom game in the browser?

Sorry if I've missed what I've asked being posted already.

To be honest, the customs browser is probably the worst possible place to try and get "serious" games in. There's 9 pages, with 8 of them being Infection/Fiesta/Minigame variants, and like 6 options on the last page being Octagon.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think it's true cause neither party has an actual understanding of how big the community is or who would show up other than pure speculation.

We both obviously like the settings but disagree on just how many people would sign up. Just curious, when did you join the Halo community? Not trying to be elitist about that but what you just stated has been stated since Halo CE, and if it were up to me that would be our main game. There's always been that trend of people moving on to whats most popular and not whats most competitive.

I would much rather every Evolved player come play Halo CE but I understand that some don't prefer that or want to play a more popular game. Again, I would very much like to see a Halo 5 Evolved tournament. At the very least if you guys get 8's going you should do some sort of extended series with the best players that are involved in the community. I know I've seen gameplays but high level 8's would help.

@@Killmachine that's pretty much what I was getting at. It's hard to expect anyone to run an online tournament for something like this. If this does take off and grows then I can try to help support it. I am not an active player but at least support the settings changes. I just enjoy other competitive shooters more than Halo 5 right now regardless of settings so I just lurk instead.

I don't mean sticking with one game I mean trying to create comp settings. Like people did in h4 and reach.

I don't mean sticking with one game I mean trying to create comp settings. Like people did in h4 and reach.

I know, but if we're actually striving to play something competitive (in terms of skill) why settle for something that isn't as skill based? Is it because each new game is more popular and has a wider audience? If so that basically correlates to what is going on with settings. Why would someone play a niche group of settings that are more competitive if that's what the masses aren't playing?

I'm hoping these answers help you understand what I'm getting at. They're somewhat hypothetical, because I feel like I already know most of these answers. I do think we should be playing the most competitive form of Halo and share the same feeling regarding Smash.

Lol it's actually funny you guys are talking about this, because that was actually something I had talked about with a select few individuals in the Discord back when I was helping out with things. I was going to ask to see if I could potentially host a Beyond tournament with these settings, donate a small $100 prize pool or whatever and additionally offer Team Beyond T-Shirts as an incentive (I think I spoke to... .@OG Nick? the most about it back when we were map searching). Nothing significant, just a small fun tourney for exposure. I was going to ask CyReN or Saucey if we could host on this site it if I just paid for everything myself out of pocket including the shirts and shipping and all that jazz. I wouldn't have had a problem doing it either to be honest, because I just liked playing the settings, regardless if they would've said yes or no.

That being said some of you guys are right, I think the population dropped off on it shortly after a few of us stopped playing H5, so it's not really that feasible anymore. Would've been awesome at the time though! I'd definitely admit that.

I know, but if we're actually striving to play something competitive (in terms of skill) why settle for something that isn't as skill based? Is it because each new game is more popular and has a wider audience? If so that basically correlates to what is going on with settings. Why would someone play a niche group of settings that are more competitive if that's what the masses aren't playing?

I'm hoping these answers help you understand what I'm getting at. They're somewhat hypothetical, because I feel like I already know most of these answers. I do think we should be playing the most competitive form of Halo and share the same feeling regarding Smash.

Using alt settings has already worked in halo though.

Using alt settings has already worked in halo though.

but there was prize money...

I think we're just getting further and further from my original point.

but there was prize money...

I think we're just getting further and further from my original point.

People were working on zbns settings before they even knew of MLG was going to pick it up.

To be honest, the customs browser is probably the worst possible place to try and get "serious" games in. There's 9 pages, with 8 of them being Infection/Fiesta/Minigame variants, and like 6 options on the last page being Octagon.

OK.

no a "serious" game would be wasted on me. I just like the idea and wanted to try the evolved settings.

Suppose I'm Just trying to find out if the game types from the OP are still relevant or if I need to update my bookmarked stuff

Suppose I'm Just trying to find out if the game types from the OP are still relevant or if I need to update my bookmarked stuff

We've updated the gametypes, you won't need to re-download them. Also added King and Oddball. The maps we're still working on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We've updated the gametypes, you won't need to re-download them. Also added King and Oddball. The maps we're still working on.

Thank you very much.

People were working on zbns settings before they even knew of MLG was going to pick it up.

I think those were the Gold Pro settings, and no one cared.

Have you guys tried to ask the pros to test these settings with you in their lobbies when they stream so you can explain everything to them and maybe they may do a video explaining their thoughts on these settings(Ill try to ask around myself and try to let you guys know in this topic? i have only seen Vetoed play this on his stream when I play with him once.Also not sure if I should make a separate topic here in beyond asking people if they have tried evolved settings,like a poll  and/or just a topic

Evolved V4 settings test lobby is about to be held anytime tonight, if anyone wants to play!

Edit: I will clarify that 4v4 is looking to be tested specifically.

Evolved V4 settings test lobby is about to be held anytime tonight, if anyone wants to play!

Add me, "Solursus" if you want someone to help you test the settings.

do you guys post on the "evolved kids xbox club" for gamenights? Also guys the youtuber "Roniboney" who also makes Halo content made recently(I am samshepardgaming when he "shouts me out" in this video where he played the "Evolved" gametype on dev maps and on community maps from halo ce ranging to halo 5 community maps.Some personal stuff involved but at least we have 1 youtuber(well 2 since Vetoed have played this) but I recently tweeted to a few halo youtubers and 343(doubt 343 will play with us) if they wanted to try this out sometime,as of now no response but if I do ill try to post their responses here/a date if we get any.Here's the vid by Roni,so atleast this is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpJgpHek7Q

• Upvote (+1) 1

do you guys post on the "evolved kids xbox club" for gamenights? Also guys the youtuber "Roniboney" who also makes Halo content made recently(I am samshepardgaming when he "shouts me out" in this video where he played the "Evolved" gametype on dev maps and on community maps from halo ce ranging to halo 5 community maps.Some personal stuff involved but at least we have 1 youtuber(well 2 since Vetoed have played this) but I recently tweeted to a few halo youtubers and 343(doubt 343 will play with us) if they wanted to try this out sometime,as of now no response but if I do ill try to post their responses here/a date if we get any.Here's the vid by Roni,so atleast this is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpJgpHek7Q

I didn't realize that you were the person that refered him. Thank you for doing that! We got in contact with him a couple days ago.

And unfortunately we don't use the XBL club as much as we should (hey @@S0UL FLAME and @Killmachine9T1). We have stuck to our discord a bit too much, I wish we could change that.

I didn't realize that you were the person that refered him. Thank you for doing that! We got in contact with him a couple days ago.

And unfortunately we don't use the XBL club as much as we should (hey @@S0UL FLAME and @Killmachine9T1). We have stuck to our discord a bit too much, I wish we could change that.

No problem. roni mentioned to me that you guys saw my vid on my take on Evolved settings. I heard your guys did a Q/A with Roni I mentioned above  right?

No problem. roni mentioned to me that you guys saw my vid on my take on Evolved settings. I heard your guys did a Q/A with Roni I mentioned above right?

I did, yes.

Also, I have finally managed to make time to work on getting V4 Evolved settings posted!

Part 1 has the basic V4 Gametype and Sandbox rule changes, Part 2 will finally provide us with a more refined list of Maps to play!

• Upvote (+1) 3