Sign in to follow this  
Knowlt1

FFA Tournament Feedback

Hi!

I thought I'd give a bit of feedback (and ask for it as well) about yesterdays' FFA tournament.

**DISCLAIMER** I'm not mad about losing. I expected to, and simply wanted to use this tournament as a practice opportunity. If I won, great. If not, great. 

FFA to me is probably the most competitive game-mode that Halo has to offer. It relies on your knowledge of the map, weapon spawns, tricks and ways to get around the map, utilizing certain areas for certain weapons, and most importantly: The ability to aim. 

As far as yesterdays' tournament goes, I honestly feel like it's pretty ridiculous how it was set up. 

First of all, it has been proven that any more than 6 people in any map is too many. This is even agreed upon by 343 itself, as it reduced the number of players from initially 8 to now 6. With 8, it's literally impossible to spawn without having another player in your FOV, or being in the FOV of another player. This gives you absolutely no time to get a bearing of the map, what's going on, or time to think about where to go. Instead, it says "hey if you don't get a perfect kill you're fucked."

The fact that the queue was for 8 players is pretty ridiculous IMO, especially on one of the most open maps the game has (Truth).

Another issue is with the BR spawns instead of the AR. Again, on such an open map, this opened up literally no time to think, and instead duck behind cover and try not to get killed from across the map. Which by the way, if you were successful in finding a temporary hiding spot, someone else inevitably found you and finished you off. 
If you were successful in combating the person who found you, someone would inevitably throw a grenade and score a double-kill. 

In a game of such intense skill, I find that this requires no skill at all, just the ability to catch 2 people in the midst of fighting. 

That leaves off with the last, the lack of any other weapon on the game. Was this a joke? If I held a SWAT tournament and said "by the way, shotguns only" it wouldn't be SWAT would it?

The FFA in Halo is set up for people to actually have an immersive time fighting people, ducking around corners, picking up weapons, etc. Not instantly being thrown into a 1 on 1 with only headshots and the first guy who misses loses. 
I agree that Truth for example has some things that could be taken out for a tournament like the Sword and Invis, but other than that.. That's what the FFA is set up about.

I'd love to hear some feedback and comments on what you guys think too. 

Thanks!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think it was as bad as you're making it sound. In fact I think 8 players works better than 6 making the game types more action packed and less campy. If anything, the added players make your map movement even more important to be able to win a fight and stay alive. 

My disclaimer however is that I don't play a lot of FFA and I didn't play it a lot when it was 8 players. FFA isn't the same and not as fun as other halo's IMO. But I had fun playing in this tourney and am looking forward to many more!

I believe most of your points of view are coming from your inexperience of competitive FFA. Start by watching players like Kampy and Hoaxfactor. Watch how they move around the map and put themselves in the best position for stealing kills. Stealing kills is part of being a skilled FFA player. You also need to be able to control positions and move around the map. Winning 1v1's certainly helps.

BR's allows for entire map interaction and an equal playing field. It forces players to move and work the map. 

Having only 6 players on the map would slow the game down way to much. I dont even like being in 7 player lobby's. Most games are barely making it to 30-35 kills as it is in 10 minutes anyways

As for feedback id like to see the overtime setting looked into. In the early rounds at least being in first/second doesn't matter. Maybe for the finals have an overtime but even then they were being played with 15 mins so in my opinion overtime can be tossed. 

Secondly, how to report the scores wasn't entirely clear.

Hi!

I thought I'd give a bit of feedback (and ask for it as well) about yesterdays' FFA tournament.

**DISCLAIMER** I'm not mad about losing. I expected to, and simply wanted to use this tournament as a practice opportunity. If I won, great. If not, great. 

FFA to me is probably the most competitive game-mode that Halo has to offer. It relies on your knowledge of the map, weapon spawns, tricks and ways to get around the map, utilizing certain areas for certain weapons, and most importantly: The ability to aim. 

As far as yesterdays' tournament goes, I honestly feel like it's pretty ridiculous how it was set up. 

First of all, it has been proven that any more than 6 people in any map is too many. This is even agreed upon by 343 itself, as it reduced the number of players from initially 8 to now 6. With 8, it's literally impossible to spawn without having another player in your FOV, or being in the FOV of another player. This gives you absolutely no time to get a bearing of the map, what's going on, or time to think about where to go. Instead, it says "hey if you don't get a perfect kill you're fucked."

The fact that the queue was for 8 players is pretty ridiculous IMO, especially on one of the most open maps the game has (Truth).

Another issue is with the BR spawns instead of the AR. Again, on such an open map, this opened up literally no time to think, and instead duck behind cover and try not to get killed from across the map. Which by the way, if you were successful in finding a temporary hiding spot, someone else inevitably found you and finished you off. 
If you were successful in combating the person who found you, someone would inevitably throw a grenade and score a double-kill. 

In a game of such intense skill, I find that this requires no skill at all, just the ability to catch 2 people in the midst of fighting. 

That leaves off with the last, the lack of any other weapon on the game. Was this a joke? If I held a SWAT tournament and said "by the way, shotguns only" it wouldn't be SWAT would it?

The FFA in Halo is set up for people to actually have an immersive time fighting people, ducking around corners, picking up weapons, etc. Not instantly being thrown into a 1 on 1 with only headshots and the first guy who misses loses. 
I agree that Truth for example has some things that could be taken out for a tournament like the Sword and Invis, but other than that.. That's what the FFA is set up about.

Thanks!

I believe most of your points of view are coming from your inexperience of competitive FFA. Start by watching players like Kampy and Hoaxfactor. Watch how they move around the map and put themselves in the best position for stealing kills. Stealing kills is part of being a skilled FFA player. You also need to be able to control positions and move around the map. Winning 1v1's certainly helps.

BR's allows for entire map interaction and an equal playing field. It forces players to move and work the map. 

Having only 6 players on the map would slow the game down way to much. I dont even like being in 7 player lobby's. Most games are barely making it to 30-35 kills as it is in 10 minutes anyways

As for feedback id like to see the overtime setting looked into. In the early rounds at least being in first/second doesn't matter. Maybe for the finals have an overtime but even then they were being played with 15 mins so in my opinion overtime can be tossed. 

Secondly, how to report the scores wasn't entirely clear.

I was wondering about reporting scores too as I was the lobby leader for my heat in round two. There was nothing in the rules about it so I didn't report anything. I'm not exactly sure how that process worked. 

I was wondering about reporting scores too as I was the lobby leader for my heat in round two. There was nothing in the rules about it so I didn't report anything. I'm not exactly sure how that process worked.

For FFA only, users do not report scores. Beyond Staff tracks your game history for each round, and updates the groupings accordingly, to ensure accuracy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hi!

Thanks!

Hey Knowit, 

First off, I would like to thank you for being a Premium member and supporting the site. I apologize that your FFA experience was not very enjoyable for you. 

However, most of the things you described have really been things that have happened in competitive FFA games since Halo 2 on the original Xbox.

• 8 player FFAs have been the standard for Halo Free For Alls since they were introduced over a decade ago.
  • Tournaments generally use BR or Pistol starts in Halo 5 FFA, for ours we have BR start with Pistol secondary, so you have a few options.
  • "Kill Stealing" in the scenario you described is just the nature of the beast when you play a Free for All, people steal kills, its a key to win.
  • About no weapons on map - to ensure the most competitive experience possible, players spawn with (2) weapons that require aiming, and skill to use. In this competitive environment, we thought it was not appropriate for people to be able to pick up free kills by using rockets, plasma caster, sword other weapons on map, etc.

Also SWAT just means that you have no shields, so a Shotgun only SWAT game would still be SWAT  ;)

For FFA only, users do not report scores. Beyond Staff tracks your game history for each round, and updates the groupings accordingly, to ensure accuracy. 

Okay cool. Thank you and I look forward to more tournaments!

Hey Knowit, 

First off, I would like to thank you for being a Premium member and supporting the site. I apologize that your FFA experience was not very enjoyable for you. 

However, most of the things you described have really been things that have happened in competitive FFA games since Halo 2 on the original Xbox.

• 8 player FFAs have been the standard for Halo Free For Alls since they were introduced over a decade ago.
  • Tournaments generally use BR or Pistol starts in Halo 5 FFA, for ours we have BR start with Pistol secondary, so you have a few options.
  • "Steal Killing" in the scenario you described is just the nature of the beast when you play a Free for All, people steal kills, its a key to win.
  • About no weapons on map - to ensure the most competitive experience possible, players spawn with (2) weapons that require aiming, and skill to use. In this competitive environment, we thought it was not appropriate for people to be able to pick up free kills by using rockets, plasma caster, sword other weapons on map, etc.

Also SWAT just means that you have no shields, so a Shotgun only SWAT game would still be SWAT  ;)

Now if only 343 could make a playlist with these settings for both FFA and a competitive HCS playlist, but I understand that this is a topic for the settings thread  :walshy:

Hi!

Thanks!

Hey KnowIt!

First off, just wanted to say thanks for voicing your opinion and putting your experience out on here for more opportunity in discussing this. Believe me, I do feel your pain about the misfortunes of spawns and their frequency of one being susceptible to being easily targeted. Like Saucey said above, it really has been the nature of the beast that is FFA since the beginning. That's why even I have a love-hate relationship with it. I've been able to experience tournament play of both the 6-man format and the 8-man format and I can honestly tell you that both come with significant trade-offs. I'm personally opened to either format being implemented in the sense of perhaps one tournament being a certain format and then the next one being of a different kind. I feel that they all serve as different challenges that I welcome. 

343i seems to be really striving for that 6-man, various weapons on the map style and I am all for that challenge as well. I believe that the future FFA tournaments that 343i sanction will continue to be of this format, and perhaps you will take more liking to that style. I can tell you that either format will create some of the most stressful and frustrating situations that you have ever experienced in competitive FFA as each meta evolves. It's something that excites me and I hope you feel the same way if you decide to get in these tournaments along with us.