NavG123

What's your worst Halo memory?

When I was younger, I was a sports junkie during the day and a hardcore gamer by night.  I was just honestly addicted to competition. Well, after getting slapped around in Halo: CE by my brothers over and over again, I begged my parents to get me Xbox Live. I wanted to be able to practice all the time, but my brothers didn't want to play as much as me. As a kid, all I wanted at the time was to be better than my brothers at something.

The first game that could I could play online was Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow. In my first online match ever, I got destroyed, but was amazed that I could hear people communicate through my headset. And holy shit, I could play with 8 people without doing split screen?! Wow!! One of the guys on my team, Michael, was extremely nice and helpful. He added me after that first game I played and we became pretty good friends. I'm not sure if it was just my circle of online buddies or what, but I was this young kid that got to play with adults. It was so cool. Even in real life, I was this little kid that would play football with people much older than me and got my ass kicked, but I simply loved competing. For example, that Michael guy I mentioned before, at the time, was 25 when I met him. All of his friends that I got to know were around the same age too. I'll get back to that later. Anyways, over time, I met more and more people and joined an Xbox Live clan called The Cows of War. We competed in online Rainbow Six tournaments all the time. Even though we lost most of the games we played, we all had a lot of fun.

This competitive drive carried over into Halo 2. From there, I started competing in MLG and made it to where I am today. I've dedicated over 10 years of my life to competitive gaming and met a ton of great friends over the years. I mean actual friendships that grow over time and go beyond the game. Honestly, being at a LAN with people you know from around the country is truly an amazing experience that you can't get anywhere else.

Unfortunately, over time, a lot of the friends you have in life gradually fade away.  It could be college, a new career, moving away, starting a family, you name it. This is simply what happens as you get older. Everyone goes through it at some point. Going into MCC, I started seeing old friends that I haven't seen online in years log back into Xbox Live. I was getting messages from old Cows of War members that would say something like "Clicked? It's me, ___! I got a new gamertag!". It was incredible hearing from all of these old friends and catching up again after not talking to them for at least 6 or 7 years.

Remember that Michael guy I was telling you about? He's 38 now. Michael has a wife, 3 kids, and a house out in Florida. A few of my old online buddies that are around the same age as me contacted me too. Honestly, it was incredible hearing about what they're up to. A lot can happen in a few years. Even family and friends that I knew in real life were getting back into gaming, just to play Halo again.

Leading up to the launch of MCC, all I was thinking about was being able to play with these old friends one last time. We all got into a big skype group and were talking about how MCC was gonna be our "Final Hurrah". We were all going to play a shit-ton of Halo 1, 2, and 3 for a few weeks before going back to our normal lives. It's kinda like a high school reunion, except that you know this one in particular is going to be the last one you'll ever have.

One last time to talk to these people you've spent countless hours playing Halo with.

One last time to experience these incredible games the way they were meant to be played.

Think about it, most people don't get that kind of opportunity to relive their past like that.

After the disastrous launch of MCC, most of the people that I've been talking about returned their Xbox Ones to the store within a week, never to be seen online again. I remember talking to that Michael guy a day before he returned his Xbox. He said this:

"Man, I really don't know what to say. I'm just disappointed."

For me, that's the only word I could use to to describe MCC. Disappointed.

Honestly, everything that happened bummed me out way more than it should've. Our final hurrah never happened. Every time I play MCC, I get so damn upset thinking about what could've been. MCC was a huge opportunity that completely went to waste.

Jesus this is sad  :tear:

343 why must you do this  :wutface:

Oh, I actually thought of my worst halo memory.

Right before MCC released, and there was the leaked H5 footage with the ADS Br and sprint. Up until that point, I thought that 343 really understood us. I see this leaked footage 5 minutes before MCC goes live, and all the trust I have in 343 comes crashing down. Honestly felt disgusted and betrayed, as melodramatic as that is.

*1 minute before MCC goes live*

"Well, at least we'll have MCC to play for years to come..."

This. This was my thought process for H5, even if it was trash at least we would have the best Halos to play forever right???

:mj:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I had an H4 slayer match on Abandon against TwisstedMinds and a few other super sweaties where for whatever reason I got on full tilt early on.

Twissted went 15-0 and I went 0-15.

In 14 years of Halo and various levels of competing, that hurt the worst by far.

I had an H4 slayer match on Abandon against TwisstedMinds and a few other super sweaties where for whatever reason I got on full tilt early on.

Twissted went 15-0 and I went 0-15.

In 14 years of Halo and various levels of competing, that hurt the worst by far.

I remember playing Team Doubles with my roommate in college.  We were both 49's playing for our 50's.  We get Epilogue, and the kids we played against abuse everything that makes that map and those settings eat ass.  He gets three kills and I goose.  I never played H3 dubs again.

Still the worst game I ever played.  I mean Christ, I didn't even goose against Patch and Legend.

Either playing Halo: Reach day 1 after grinding Halo 3 or loading up MCC and trying to find a match day 1 in matchmaking

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wasn't a huge fan of Reach, but I had this buddy that was pretty into it and I would hop online with him and play. He'd shoot me a text and ask to play. When I moved back to Utah from Virginia and didn't have internet for a bit, his copy got damaged, so I sent him mine via USPS. I finally get a place of my own, get a copy of Reach. But time gets away from me. Work tires me out and ties me up.

I get a text from him one night in September in 2012, just says, "Reach?" I didn't read it right away. And then I didn't respond. Just a few days later, he took his own life. I logged in to play Reach after that and had one of his old messages, unread, that just said, "We should game some time."

It's my worst Halo-related memory. To this day, it feels like if I could have hopped on that night, it may not have happened. Then we could have been disappointed in the release of MCC together, and this memory would be replaced with the same as everybody else's.

• Upvote (+1) 1