NavG123

What's your worst Halo memory?

2011-2012 sucked, the whole scene started collapsing when I just started lol. Was pretty depressing watching it all slowly die, then in 2012 MLG Cbus was a super hype event and brought the community back. That event for me at least (didn't watch a ton of h3) was the highlight of Halo for me since it did feel partly like a grassroots event since most people understood that was Halo on its last feet and it was a large community effort. We made threads on Waypoint and would keep replying it to get higher viewers, would post whereever we could to get more viewers/hype. The event ended in a ton of hype game 5s and game 11s, with new players making 1st place. Community looked good and it might seem we can make something happen

Then MLG Reach Spring Online Season happened, then AGL happened, then H4 MLG happened (it was alright but a pre-release event is nothing really to me), then more AGL I think and we were never back on the same footing.

Sucked

Cbus '12 is still my favorite event of all time.

Cbus '12 is still my favorite event of all time.

I shed a silent tear when I remember this series ;(

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't have a single worst memory. The fact that Halo is dead and buried, that it could've easily been avoided, and that 343 routinely spits on its grave is like a collective worst memory. Essentially, from the time armor lock and jetpacks were announced till this very day is like a bunch of small pieces of shit that constitute one bowel movement; one that 343 failed to flush out of my mind with their defective toilet they call The MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd say MCC launch.

Simply because I had to buy a new console, tv and game. Needless to say at the time I was not in the best financial situation to buy any of it. Sold my 360, my guitar, skateboard, and put myself in a shitty situation the last few months of college.

We all know the rest, how the game didn't work. It was like a $600 punch in the dick. 

Then again, there's also Halo 4. Which in 2 weeks killed console gaming for me until MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My friends all got Halo Reach at launch so I got it within a week or two of release. Playing Vanilla Reach on Asylum (wannabe Sanctuary) and people would just jetpack up on top of the huts and camping. That was probably the most annoying thing. It made playing unenjoyable bc that was the early meta, to use jetpack and just go up somewhere high. I hate loadout Jetpacks to this. I didn't mind it on Station 9 in H4 as a pickup or in NBNS Reach as a pickup but people camping with jetpacks at launch in Reach before they added in a bunch of soft kill zones was truly unenjoyable. (Friendly FYI I used sprint, always, I thought jetpacks, camo and armor lock were all kinda lame/dishonorable ways to play)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Meadowlands 08.

This is the only event I went to where I felt my team would be able to break into top 16. We scrimmed some great teams and played others in GBs and won a bunch. Placed top 32 in the GameBattles season 1 to secure our team pass and then.. two weeks until the tournament we break up. It was RyoNess, Obiii, WhyYaCryin and myself.

Ended up getting on a squad with J Mos Def, Omg Blaze and xPatey. We dominate Tensors team in warm ups which obviously didn't matter because in the very first round we played Power Weapons and the series was tied 1-1. We end up losing the slayer 49-50 on The Pit because I challenged someone who was in their side of Green Hall. He had a sniper, I put three shots into him before he lined up the no scope and headshot me. I played damn good the entire event but I never felt like I lost a game harder than that. Yeah I probably shouldn't challenge that fight but thats a fight I win 9/10 at the very least. I didn't let it get to me and effect my gameplay but I'll never ever forget that moment

best team i ever went to an event with was me, Knowledge, Hanz and EssP at Charlotte '07. We 2-0d Talent's team, but we didnt make it out of AM. I dont even know how. We should have made it easily, but alas. Talent's team ended up top24 that event. Still kind of bothers me

Worst Halo memory is probably how much I disliked Halo 3.

Buddy and I took a week off work for the MCC launch. He flew out to my place as well for the countless hours of OG Halo matchmaking.

I don't think I need to say anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Buddy and I took a week off work for the MCC launch. He flew out to my place as well for the countless hours of OG Halo matchmaking.

I don't think I need to say anymore.

Same here man. Same here. I took off that entire week, just to go back and tell my boss on Thursday "Nevermind, I'll just work instead."

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach.  That game was awful and was the beginning of the end for Halo.  Halo 4 was bad, but nothing like Reach.

I was thankful enough to not buy and Xbone or MCC until after it was playable, but I could definitely understand being pissed about that launch.  I can't say MCC was a completely terrible experience for me because I really enjoyed CE.  It was the first time since Halo 3 that I actually wanted to improve at a game.  I can't really play it anymore because I absolutely suck at it after playing H5, but for the brief time I did it was a blast.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When the Halo Reach beta finished and a bunch of us on B.net wrote like five page papers on why bloom was terrible and Bungie's response was essentially "lol, nope, bloom stays".

The 2010 MLG season was lit, but Halo Reach was a travesty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) MCC obviously 

2) Halo 5 campaign. I don't know what that was....but it wasn't a halo campaign. The Hunt The Truth series was better than Halo 5 campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The entire lifespan of Halo MCC.

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure the tournaments were pulling a decent number of viewers, and every series we'd hear, "Okay folks, looks like we're having trouble getting the lobby together" or suchlike. Almost everything about that game gave Halo a bad name and repelled newbies who'd had general interest in the months before launch. 

MCC was supposed to be the "Halo is BACK!" game and ironically ended up damaging the franchise in spectacular fashion. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

(Friendly FYI I used sprint, always, I thought jetpacks, camo and armor lock were all kinda lame/dishonorable ways to play)

I remember telling people on Reach that "real men use sprint".

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played H2 and H3 religiously everyday throughout both of their lifespans, and was super hyped for Reach.

Reach launched with bloom and sprint and gimmicky AA's and I just lost the spark to play. Ended up playing a few weeks and quitting all together until just before H4 dropped to tune up my game.

H4 launch I remember being ecstatic because Halo as a franchise seemed like it was being laid to rest by Bungie, and I was not ready to live in a world without new Halo FPS titles. Stood online for midnight launch and ran home to pop it in. After waiting a while for what I remember to be the first game I owned that needed to download data before being playable, I remember being absurdly disappointed with H4 immediately and retired a week into the game.

Fast forward to MCC being announced and I was absolutely hooked on Halo again with the promise of playing my favorite classic Halos online again with 60FPS and dedicated servers! So I hopped on H4 to get back into the swing of things and actually met some cool people grinding CTF. Then MCC launches and we all know what happened from there. I was literally able to watch entire movies on Netflix on my second monitor in between games. This went on for months and there are no words to explain how disappointing that game was but we all know the feeling.

That being said I still had a lot of great memories on MCC and for some reason I still had enough hope left to try H5 to give 343 one final chance. The game isn't perfect but it's the most fun I've had since H3 and that says a lot.

TL;DR - The entirety of Reach, H4, and MCC.

*Edit - H5 campaign was also SUPER disappointing. The marketing for H5 storyline was so misleading it should be a crime. I'm upset now thinking about how cheesy and hollow the campaign was, I remember finishing it on day 1 and just sitting there being like "that's it?!"

• Upvote (+1) 1

All the Curt/Envy drama on H2F.

Ah yes the good old days

Can't believe it's been ten years, we are getting old ha

• Upvote (+1) 1

It all started with Reach, then Halo 4 killed it and I only wanted to play a Halo 2 remastered. We got Halo: MCC and that killed the franchise for good for me. I'm done with Halo now, actually MCC killed my interest in video games in general.

After the disastrous launch of MCC, most of the people that I've been talking about returned their Xbox Ones to the store within a week, never to be seen online again. I remember talking to that Michael guy a day before he returned his Xbox. He said this:

"Man, I really don't know what to say. I'm just disappointed."

For me, that's the only word I could use to to describe MCC. Disappointed.

Honestly, everything that happened bummed me out way more than it should've. Our final hurrah never happened. Every time I play MCC, I get so damn upset thinking about what could've been. MCC was a huge opportunity that completely went to waste.

Did someone put onions in my coffee? 

The first time you were able to move the right stick in Halo 5 campaign, and I noticed the sloppy as hell aiming, and knew I was done with 343 Halo

And MCC Launch night of course

• Upvote (+1) 1