NavG123

What's your worst Halo memory?

Has to be MCC and how this place just turned to shit and hasn't really recovered. 

We all know what direction Halo 5 and the future of the franchise was heading and MCC was meant to be something to fallback to and it just didn't work. 

It really is amazing what MCC did to this community, especially the old schoolers. It got us involved again but we're all bitter assholes now. This place would be so positive if MCC worked perfectly. We would still say Halo 5 isn't good but the outright rejection and hate for it wouldn't be as bad. We wouldn't care as much about Halo 5 being lackluster if we had MCC to play.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It really is amazing what MCC did to this community, especially the old schoolers. It got us involved again but we're all bitter assholes now. This place would be so positive if MCC worked perfectly.

Yeah, it was like a kick to the nuts when we were already down. MCC was supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel that lifted us back up after dealing with Reach and mainly H4. It was the main reason for me even buying an Xbone. If it worked perfectly, I think we would all be in a better place.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I played R6V2 competitively in 2008 and went to a few of the MLG events that year. In 2009 it got dropped from the circuit so eventually I decided to give Halo 3 a shot. I got on the GB forums and someone was looking for a last second teammate for Columbus, it was like 2 days before the event at that time so there wouldn't be any practice together since they were going to be leaving that night. I lived like 40 minutes from the venue so I told them I could play but was completely up front about the fact that I had been playing the game for literally 5 days at that point. They didn't care since they had everything paid for already and just wanted to be able to play. I showed up and even though they expected me to play poorly considering the time I had into the game, it was still really humiliating just HOW poorly I really did lol. After that event though it gave me a really good idea of the kind of grinding I was gonna have to put in to catch up to everyone.

The following year I went to Columbus 2010, this time with a year of practicing and a solid team, had a LAN against Victorious Secret, Fray and Baxter's team before the event (I hope some of you remember those people). Round 3 we play Young Money, at the time it was Royal 2, Minority, Homicide and Talent. My team went on to choke game 1 Pit TS after being up 28-13 and choking a 13 minute Midship flag game losing 4-5 and being counter capped while we had the 5th flag in our base. Both of these things were absolutely awful memories for me but huge motivators also.

When I was younger, I was a sports junkie during the day and a hardcore gamer by night. I was just honestly addicted to competition. Well, after getting slapped around in Halo: CE by my brothers over and over again, I begged my parents to get me Xbox Live. I wanted to be able to practice all the time, but my brothers didn't want to play as much as me. As a kid, all I wanted at the time was to be better than my brothers at something.

The first game that could I could play online was Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow. In my first online match ever, I got destroyed, but was amazed that I could hear people communicate through my headset. And holy shit, I could play with 8 people without doing split screen?! Wow!! One of the guys on my team, Michael, was extremely nice and helpful. He added me after that first game I played and we became pretty good friends. I'm not sure if it was just my circle of online buddies or what, but I was this young kid that got to play with adults. It was so cool. Even in real life, I was this little kid that would play football with people much older than me and got my ass kicked, but I simply loved competing. For example, that Michael guy I mentioned before, at the time, was 25 when I met him. All of his friends that I got to know were around the same age too. I'll get back to that later. Anyways, over time, I met more and more people and joined an Xbox Live clan called The Cows of War. We competed in online Rainbow Six tournaments all the time. Even though we lost most of the games we played, we all had a lot of fun.

This competitive drive carried over into Halo 2. From there, I started competing in MLG and made it to where I am today. I've dedicated over 10 years of my life to competitive gaming and met a ton of great friends over the years. I mean actual friendships that grow over time and go beyond the game. Honestly, being at a LAN with people you know from around the country is truly an amazing experience that you can't get anywhere else.

Unfortunately, over time, a lot of the friends you have in life gradually fade away. It could be college, a new career, moving away, starting a family, you name it. This is simply what happens as you get older. Everyone goes through it at some point. Going into MCC, I started seeing old friends that I haven't seen online in years log back into Xbox Live. I was getting messages from old Cows of War members that would say something like "Clicked? It's me, ___! I got a new gamertag!". It was incredible hearing from all of these old friends and catching up again after not talking to them for at least 6 or 7 years.

Remember that Michael guy I was telling you about? He's 38 now. Michael has a wife, 3 kids, and a house out in Florida. A few of my old online buddies that are around the same age as me contacted me too. Honestly, it was incredible hearing about what they're up to. A lot can happen in a few years. Even family and friends that I knew in real life were getting back into gaming, just to play Halo again.

Leading up to the launch of MCC, all I was thinking about was being able to play with these old friends one last time. We all got into a big skype group and were talking about how MCC was gonna be our "Final Hurrah". We were all going to play a shit-ton of Halo 1, 2, and 3 for a few weeks before going back to our normal lives. It's kinda like a high school reunion, except that you know this one in particular is going to be the last one you're ever going to have.

One last time to talk to these people you've spent countless hours playing Halo with.

One last time to experience these incredible games the way they were meant to be played.

Think about it, most people don't get that kind of opportunity to relive their past like that.

After the disastrous launch of MCC, most of the people that I've been talking about returned their Xbox Ones to the store within a week, never to be seen online again. I remember talking to that Michael guy a day before he returned his Xbox. He said this:

"Man, I really don't know what to say. I'm just disappointed."

For me, that's the only word I could use to to describe MCC. Disappointed.

Honestly, everything that happened bummed me out way more than it should've. Our final hurrah never happened. Every time I play MCC, I get so damn upset thinking about what could've been. MCC was a huge opportunity that completely went to waste.

Holy shit the feels. MCC really was gonna bring so many old friends back. Words can't express the sadness I feel every time I think about what that game could've been. Of all the games to mess up, MCC shouldn't have been the one.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Easily MCC as a whole. I've never been so excited for a game in my life, and then so hugely disappointed within the first few days of launch. I'm glad Halo 5 is doing alright, but I'll never forgive 343 for the debacle that was MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fuck, seeing everyone say they pretty much had their friends list decimated and friends not playing Halo anymore is really sad.

My (local) friends list was more of a slow falling out.

Some went on LDS missions (I live in Utah), some got married, some just gradually got over it.

There was only a handful of us left in MCC and now we are down to just 3 guys that play regularly. We use to be able to get 16 man lans every weekend from HCE - Halo 3. 8 Man's during Reach. H4 is where we had the biggest drop, but MCC was the knife that got us down to 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MCC was definitely the first time I had been seriously hyped for a video game release since Halo 3. It really was a dream come true, and I bought an XB1 about a week before release just for it.

I still remember a few hours before the game had released to the U.S., other international players had been talking about being unable to find matches, and a lot of people were talking about how the servers probably hadn't been "opened" yet.

When the realization set it, the extreme pessimists were predicting a fix by mid December. Then it became January. And so on until the game worked okay by I think April?

In the first couple weeks, me and a few people would run regular H2 FFAs every night. Some of them told me they used to compete during H2. None of them play anymore.

I was expecting a lot of bad chokes and stupid plays in high pressure situations from this thread. Not the feels.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Obviously MCC launch day, but for me the sinking feeling started w/ the H5 reveal and the aim down sites fiasco. I really thought w/ MCC and no-sprint H2A that 343 had really found Jesus and was bringing Halo back to its roots. Then the hype tournament before MCC launch showed MCC had problems and the sprint-filled Spartan ability crap H5 reveal w/ the non ads ads just showed that 343 was jettisoning its OG player base. I felt like puking as I watched H5 for the first time. Then the MCC launch just sealed it. But it was the H5 reveal that told me Halo as I knew it was gone forever (or at least as long as 343 is ruining things).

Not really a single memory, but I always get depressed af when I think about the fact that every game post halo 1 was only around 5 small changes away from being amazing competitively, and they only reason that reason those changes were never made is because Bungie and 343 both hate competitive halo.

I know this from modding h2 to be more competitive. 3sk Br, cut bullet magnetism in half, added shot leading. It plays like a new game.

Thinking about it more, all they needed to do was to NOT go out of their way to fuck it up... But that was too much for them.

Playing the Reach mp beta, thinking "why can't I jump?", And "what is going on with the reticle"? Quit after a few games and never went back

Atleast there is a silver lining to h4 being so bad. It made me sell my 360 and choose ps4 over xb1 so I didn't have to experience the MCC launch.

H4 saved me from the MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh, I actually thought of my worst halo memory.

Right before MCC released, and there was the leaked H5 footage with the ADS Br and sprint. Up until that point, I thought that 343 really understood us. I see this leaked footage 5 minutes before MCC goes live, and all the trust I have in 343 comes crashing down. Honestly felt disgusted and betrayed, as melodramatic as that is.

*1 minute before MCC goes live*

"Well, at least we'll have MCC to play for years to come..."

• Upvote (+1) 4

Like a lot of other people in this thread my worst moments came from the MCC. Over the years since Halo 3 most of the people I used to play with have slowly trickled away. I still keep in touch with a few of them, but nothing more than a few texts here and there really.

When MCC was announced it really was a chance to relive the past. I think most people who were around to experience the original trilogy are well into adulthood now, and I think on some level everyone wants to be able to go back and experience those care free teenage years again. MCC was a chance to reconnect with a time in our lives that was probably more relaxed for most of us, and to reconnect with the friends we used to have and the communities we used to be a part of. Honestly, for me the fun of those years is what keeps me around despite the fact that I haven't really enjoyed a Halo game since Reach.

When launch night finally happened, I held onto some optimism. It was just the first night right? Things would be better after a couple hotfixes right? However, when the first "patch" dropped (I think the first patch or hotfix or whatever that they launched came pretty quick, maybe 24-48 hours?) and I logged on and still had tons of trouble, it was like a switch got flipped for me. Suddenly all the pessimism I had after H4 came flooding back. This was 343 we were dealing with. This game was not suffering from something that could be fixed by a minor server fix. The game itself was an unfinished, stitched together Frankenstein disaster and would never be fixed in time to provide the revival we all were promised.

My friends were all done with the game by the end of the first week, never to be heard from again. On top of this, the lack of theater (and not to mention functionality) pretty quickly killed what was left of the montage community, ruining yet another part of Halo that I loved.

The MCC was way, way worse for me than H4 or H5 were. I could accept that 343 had a vision for the series that just wasn't for me. I thought they were stupid for what they were doing, but I could accept it. But to dig up my childhood and give it such horrid, disrespectful treatment? I think it really shows that the people at the top at 343 and MS do not care at all about the series they have stewardship of. It's like if when Disney bought the rights to Star Wars, instead of making TFA they just did everything they could to disrespect the originals and "reinvent" the series in a completely different direction.

• Upvote (+1) 4

My very first event was unfortunately in Halo Reach 2012 Winter Championship in Columbus. My team spent a pretty good amount of time grinding but I'd say our skill level was very middle of the pack. Couldn't beat really good teams but seem to handle most other teams so maybe above avg for an AM team. Anyway we lost both of our first round matches and I'd say 3 out of the 4 of us didn't play up to our standards myself being one of the 3. I was the only one who didn't have any event experience prior so I guess nerves might have played a part but I'm not the type to make excuses. I definitely should have played better as I was probably about even kda but was one of our teams mainslayers leading up to the tourney basically destroying in most scrims.

Anyway after losing our first round match rather handily, we have hope second round as we are up like 44 to 33 first game which was Countdown TS. At this point one of our xbox's shuts off so we have to replay the game. We end up losing this game and game 3 to lose the best of 3 and get knocked out. Terrible feeling to not play up to your standards individually as well as a team but for something like that to happen which definitely changed the series was pretty heart breaking. I think if I would have been as good as I am now along with the experience and knowledge I've gained, I could have went pretty deep at events. Let's hope they bring back LAN tourney's because they're a blast! My apologies for this going a bit longer than I'd wanted haha.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another moment that ranks up there was the whole 11% fiasco. 

Even if we ignore the shady results who makes design decisions based off of community polls?

It's akin to designing a building and then inviting 100 people in to give you their opinion. 89 of them say "oh it looks cool and modern, I like it". Meanwhile 11 engineers are in the crowd writing 10,000 page reports to you about how your building is structurally flawed and dangerous. But those 11 people are in the minority, so let's ignore them.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The moment I realized I had no power to help make the franchise better. 

Your Halo covers on YouTube are pretty rad, man. So in a way, you make the franchise better. I listen to your In Amber Clad cover at least once a week.

please make more

When I was younger, I was a sports junkie during the day and a hardcore gamer by night.  I was just honestly addicted to competition. Well, after getting slapped around in Halo: CE by my brothers over and over again, I begged my parents to get me Xbox Live. I wanted to be able to practice all the time, but my brothers didn't want to play as much as me. As a kid, all I wanted at the time was to be better than my brothers at something.

The first game that could I could play online was Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow. In my first online match ever, I got destroyed, but was amazed that I could hear people communicate through my headset. And holy shit, I could play with 8 people without doing split screen?! Wow!! One of the guys on my team, Michael, was extremely nice and helpful. He added me after that first game I played and we became pretty good friends. I'm not sure if it was just my circle of online buddies or what, but I was this young kid that got to play with adults. It was so cool. Even in real life, I was this little kid that would play football with people much older than me and got my ass kicked, but I simply loved competing. For example, that Michael guy I mentioned before, at the time, was 25 when I met him. All of his friends that I got to know were around the same age too. I'll get back to that later. Anyways, over time, I met more and more people and joined an Xbox Live clan called The Cows of War. We competed in online Rainbow Six tournaments all the time. Even though we lost most of the games we played, we all had a lot of fun.

This competitive drive carried over into Halo 2. From there, I started competing in MLG and made it to where I am today. I've dedicated over 10 years of my life to competitive gaming and met a ton of great friends over the years. I mean actual friendships that grow over time and go beyond the game. Honestly, being at a LAN with people you know from around the country is truly an amazing experience that you can't get anywhere else.

Unfortunately, over time, a lot of the friends you have in life gradually fade away.  It could be college, a new career, moving away, starting a family, you name it. This is simply what happens as you get older. Everyone goes through it at some point. Going into MCC, I started seeing old friends that I haven't seen online in years log back into Xbox Live. I was getting messages from old Cows of War members that would say something like "Clicked? It's me, ___! I got a new gamertag!". It was incredible hearing from all of these old friends and catching up again after not talking to them for at least 6 or 7 years.

Remember that Michael guy I was telling you about? He's 38 now. Michael has a wife, 3 kids, and a house out in Florida. A few of my old online buddies that are around the same age as me contacted me too. Honestly, it was incredible hearing about what they're up to. A lot can happen in a few years. Even family and friends that I knew in real life were getting back into gaming, just to play Halo again.

Leading up to the launch of MCC, all I was thinking about was being able to play with these old friends one last time. We all got into a big skype group and were talking about how MCC was gonna be our "Final Hurrah". We were all going to play a shit-ton of Halo 1, 2, and 3 for a few weeks before going back to our normal lives. It's kinda like a high school reunion, except that you know this one in particular is going to be the last one you'll ever have.

One last time to talk to these people you've spent countless hours playing Halo with.

One last time to experience these incredible games the way they were meant to be played.

Think about it, most people don't get that kind of opportunity to relive their past like that.

After the disastrous launch of MCC, most of the people that I've been talking about returned their Xbox Ones to the store within a week, never to be seen online again. I remember talking to that Michael guy a day before he returned his Xbox. He said this:

"Man, I really don't know what to say. I'm just disappointed."

For me, that's the only word I could use to to describe MCC. Disappointed.

Honestly, everything that happened bummed me out way more than it should've. Our final hurrah never happened. Every time I play MCC, I get so damn upset thinking about what could've been. MCC was a huge opportunity that completely went to waste.

What? Crying? Me? No I just have something in both my eyes.

I have some similar stories and can relate to this. At MCC's Launch I had about 80+ people on my list who were online playing during a popular hour. I saw names pop up on my friends list that I haven't seen since Halo 3 or Halo 2. Reconnected with some good friends I used to LAN with and I'd say 90% of these people quit and sold their xboxes within a week.

What I would do for a remaster of Rainbow Six 3 and RBS3: Black Arrow.. Anyway, I wrote about my worst experience in terms of an actual event or match etc. In terms of the franchise and disappointments MCC is the biggest let down I've ever experienced regarding video games. Yeah, maybe reach or halo 4 sucked but MCC was supposed to be good. I was less disappointed in Duke Nukem Forever and that game was terrible.

1) MCC Launch

2) Seeing the impact of Reach at MLG events

3) HaloFollower on the HCS Stream

• Upvote (+1) 1