Sign in to follow this  
ZacheryChevere

Should 343 Consider Bringing Back the Jetpack?

A lot of people seem to forget halo was mega popular because it let you do things on the fly that were badass and didn't require you to slowly switch weapons to do it. There weren't a shit load of gimmicks involved. Even today I can introduce people to halo 1 or 2 and they pick it up much faster and like it more than new halos or other gimmicky shooters with a million unrefined mechanics to learn. 343 talks about accessibility and thinks they need to tap into the cod market when there's other markets out there that just want a simple game without having to sprint, thrust and clamber.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Yes but as a fuel based map pick up, it can work without actually breaking the map it's on if its properly balanced and not absolutely everywhere due to people picking it off spawn.

This x1000.  I actually liked that the jetpack was a map pickup in Reach v7.  It just needed limited fuel.  Could make for a really fun pickup, like the Halo version of Jump Boots from Unreal Tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I played enough of the reach arena playlist that I still have jetpack nightmares. Jetpacks were way worse for Halo than sprint, I'd put them on the same damn level as bloom.

Even on a warzone playlist?

This x1000.  I actually liked that the jetpack was a map pickup in Reach v7.  It just needed limited fuel.  Could make for a really fun pickup, like the Halo version of Jump Boots from Unreal Tournament.

that's exactly what I had in mind as well, a jetpack is a powerful map traversal tool, and can aid in getting weapons much faster than another player, so it provides great incentive to move around the map. Plus it was just fun to use, even though in reach it broke the game. Maybe I'm just a terrible person who enjoys making others suffer.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What would these maps play like without jetpacks? It seems that most people agree that jetpacks don't belong in competitive play, so if jetpacks are banned we have a bunch of maps we can't use.  

We need a solid, competitive game out of the box.  Implementing jetpacks or any other uncompetitive amor abilities only in specific maps/playlists creates segregation between the casual and competitive communities.  

The idea is that they would be designed around competitive play and not banned from it.  Most of the reasons I see people give when claiming that Jetpacks are noncompetitive aren't even inherent to the concept itself.

-You could choose to spawn with them.

-They could be used indefinitely.

-They let you fly in the air for far too long.

-etc.

None of these things are set in stone, all of these aspects could be changed or removed.  Though even if jetpacks couldn't be made to work for competitive play they'd still be fun and balanced within reason for infantry-orientated BTB maps, where it would have no negative impacts on competitive play whatsoever.

Even on a warzone playlist?

All that said there is one frequent line of thinking I see that needs to be stamped out.

Campaign/BTB/Warzone/Custom Games /etc. aren't a landfill where we can just haphazardly toss ideas that have absolutely no merit to them. I've seen so many terrible ideas suggested on Waypoint with the end line being "we can add it to customs". If an idea has no redeeming qualities whatsoever it should just be left out of the game entirely.  I just don't believe that to be the case with Jetpacks.

Warzone irks me.  It's still a core mode in a Halo game.  It should still be treated with some amount of dignity.  It should still be a decent mode within its own right.  Which it isn't because there's just so much random bullshit tossed into it like fifty million insignificantly-different variations of loadout weapons.  It's become a complete laughing stock where anything goes, where the only real reason it even exists is to quarantine randumb gimmicks from the rest of the game, and that's kind of sad.

• Upvote (+1) 3

H3 grav lift (the equipment) >>> jetpack

Allows players to open up interesting routes for the whole team instead of one guy getting out or bounds or hovercamping with a jetpack

• Upvote (+1) 6

H3 grav lift (the equipment) >>> jetpack

Allows players to open up interesting routes for the whole team instead of one guy getting out or bounds or hovercamping with a jetpack

I liked using it in the middle of a fight, strafe a little then throw it down and fly up to fuck with the guy I'm fighting.

I just really want Halo to get away from powers and abilities and stuff like that.

If they want to keep "evolving" I'd like to see them go the route of doing that with weapons, not with movement.

It's funny because warzone could be the beginning of that. There are some cool weapons in warzone with interesting functionality like that rocket that you can steer, that scattershot that REALLY bounces or the void's tear.

• Upvote (+1) 3

frankly I think 343 should take a CoD approach, each year a new game; 343 takes care of gimmick filled Halos for generation-CoD, a seccond Dev team tries to deliever a classic Halo game every 3 years and and each year without 343 or a classic approach they can bring spin-offs like HW

• Upvote (+1) 2

frankly I think 343 should take a CoD approach, each year a new game; 343 takes care of gimmick filled Halos for generation-CoD, a seccond Dev team tries to deliever a classic Halo game every 3 years and and each year without 343 or a classic approach they can bring spin-offs like HW

I'd love to see them try a free to play MP only halo game that keeps micro transactions for skins, armour, emblems, etc and focuses on classic inspired gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Although im was not a fan of it in competitive Halo. The Jetpack was one of the funnest ability in Halo Reach and 4 for casual play. With that being said, should 343 bring it back so we can enjoy it once again on a casual level? Let me know.

back to waypoint with ya

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just really want Halo to get away from powers and abilities and stuff like that.

If they want to keep "evolving" I'd like to see them go the route of doing that with weapons, not with movement.

It's funny because warzone could be the beginning of that. There are some cool weapons in warzone with interesting functionality like that rocket that you can steer, that scattershot that REALLY bounces or the void's tear.

I definitely agree that Halo should strive to have more cool and unique weapons.  I mean the entire arena shooter genre was founded upon cool and unique weapons for fucks sake.  Weapons which would not only be more interesting to use, but add new depth to competitive play as well.

But I don't think powers and abilities are a bad thing.  It's not necessarily bad that 343i is expanding what a Spartan is capable of, it's bad that they're doing it at the expense of the game's identity and competitive integrity.

I mean whether or not you like Vehicle Boarding or ripping Support Weapons off their tripods, they are "Spartan Abilities" that for the most part turned out okay.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'd love to see a weapon who's sole purpose was to boost movement.  Kind of like how the concussion rifle in Reach would let you climb walls by shooting it near yourself, except this weapon wouldn't damage you.  Like maybe you could shoot it at the ground in front of you while you walk backwards for a huge speed boost, with the downside being that you're moving backwards.  Or maybe you could charge it up and shoot it at your feet for a big vertical boost that didn't damage you.  You wouldn't be able to kill with it, technically, but maybe you could use that charge shot to knock someone off the map like Lucio's secondary or Pharah's concussive blast in Overwatch.  Maybe spam a hallway with it to deny access.  There's a lot of possibilities with a gun like that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

lol I got pissed in the forums yesterday when I said the sprint debate needed to stop and i think i struck a nerve with some of the members.

Kids are salty on this forum. They take Halo too seriously and get offended way to easily. Doesn't deserve that much neg or even any at all

For casual play I don't see why not. As a pick up it even makes more sense. I actually didn't hate in comp play as long as it was a pick up. Spawning with it was dumb tho

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think all armoe abilities shouod come back. But keep them the hell out of competitive play.

I want the sprint button to return to the armor ability button.

I'd love to see a weapon who's sole purpose was to boost movement. Kind of like how the concussion rifle in Reach would let you climb walls by shooting it near yourself, except this weapon wouldn't damage you. Like maybe you could shoot it at the ground in front of you while you walk backwards for a huge speed boost, with the downside being that you're moving backwards. Or maybe you could charge it up and shoot it at your feet for a big vertical boost that didn't damage you. You wouldn't be able to kill with it, technically, but maybe you could use that charge shot to knock someone off the map like Lucio's secondary or Pharah's concussive blast in Overwatch. Maybe spam a hallway with it to deny access. There's a lot of possibilities with a gun like that.

Eh. Idk. Those sound like weapons that would seperate movement from combat.

Kids are salty on this forum. They take Halo too seriously and get offended way to easily. Doesn't deserve that much neg or even any at all

For casual play I don't see why not. As a pick up it even makes more sense. I actually didn't hate in comp play as long as it was a pick up. Spawning with it was dumb tho

That what i was thinking, as a REQ on warzone it would be pretty cool to use or btb if you had to pick it up.

Eh. Idk. Those sound like weapons that would seperate movement from combat.

I would for sure want the weapon swap time to be super fast with this gun, so you could launch yourself in the air and snipe or rocket someone.  And when you factor in the utility uses like knocking enemies away or entry denial, I wouldn't say it removes you from combat.  It just provides a niche advantage, like a plasma pistol in BTB for example.

Idk.  I like niche weapons.  I want more of them.

A lot of people seem to forget halo was mega popular because it let you do things on the fly that were badass and didn't require you to slowly switch weapons to do it. There weren't a shit load of gimmicks involved. Even today I can introduce people to halo 1 or 2 and they pick it up much faster and like it more than new halos or other gimmicky shooters with a million unrefined mechanics to learn. 343 talks about accessibility and thinks they need to tap into the cod market when there's other markets out there that just want a simple game without having to sprint, thrust and clamber.

343 decided to patch going on top of the bases in sanctuary because they felt a majority of their fan base was too stupid to use their own jet back to get on top the bases as well.  343 needs to leave the innovative ideas to gaming studios that are competent enough to implement such ideas.  343 needs to stick to the basics and realize that the first thing they need to learn how to do is properly port a 15 year old game lol 

• Upvote (+1) 5