Sign in to follow this  
Simplicityyy

Learning spawns or having good map awareness/understanding.

As a veteran Halo player, I strive to learn as much as I can to be the best player I can. Its one of the ways I have fun. But two aspects of my skill set are severely lacking: spawns and map awareness. In order to improve my knowledge of spawns and being more aware of how maps work, what is more important: good mental awareness or knowing the spawn system? Is there something missing about these elements of skill I should learn to become a better player? I feel like there is. That, or I try too hard as a player. I know that for a fact lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As a veteran Halo player, I strive to learn as much as I can to be the best player I can. Its one of the ways I have fun. But two aspects of my skill set are severely lacking: spawns and map awareness. In order to improve my knowledge of spawns and being more aware of how maps work, what is more important: good mental awareness or knowing the spawn system? Is there something missing about these elements of skill I should learn to become a better player? I feel like there is. That, or I try too hard as a player. I know that for a fact lol.

These two skills are directly linked.

Honestly, I feel like one of the best ways to predict spawns is to start noting where the major spawn areas are on each map. Example: Truth you are going to spawn Base1, Base2, or Carbine (largely). Then when you kill a significant amount of the other team, take a look at where your teammates are and are not. This will help to inform you where to expect their spawn. Generally being informed or having a best guess on their spawn allows you to nade certain routes, have your reticule ready, etc.

Just start being more aware of your own spawns to get a handle on major spawn areas, and your teammates positionings in general to later predict forced spawns.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Dude, a HUGE part of knowing where the enemy will be is just knowing where all of your teammates are, and if they're engaged.  From there it's so much easier to narrow it down.  As far as spawns go, yes it helps to know what the various areas people can spawn are (start paying attention to where you spawn, and what the context of the game is).  But once you know that, you can really narrow it down by looking at two things: where are your teammates, and where did the enemy die?  The game will try to spawn them away from both of those things, and you can really narrow it down from there.

Also, get good at reading your kill feed.  That will help you know when to look for spawners.

• Upvote (+1) 2

These two skills are directly linked.

Honestly, I feel like one of the best ways to predict spawns is to start noting where the major spawn areas are on each map. Example: Truth you are going to spawn Base1, Base2, or Carbine (largely). Then when you kill a significant amount of the other team, take a look at where your teammates are and are not. This will help to inform you where to expect their spawn. Generally being informed or having a best guess on their spawn allows you to nade certain routes, have your reticule ready, etc.

Just start being more aware of your own spawns to get a handle on major spawn areas, and your teammates positionings in general to later predict forced spawns.

What I will do is study the maps and their spawns. Then pay close attention to where my team mates spawn and go around the map. Ive done this before, but not in depth.

Dude, a HUGE part of knowing where the enemy will be is just knowing where all of your teammates are, and if they're engaged.  From there it's so much easier to narrow it down.  As far as spawns go, yes it helps to know what the various areas people can spawn are (start paying attention to where you spawn, and what the context of the game is).  But once you know that, you can really narrow it down by looking at two things: where are your teammates, and where did the enemy die?  The game will try to spawn them away from both of those things, and you can really narrow it down from there.

Also, get good at reading your kill feed.  That will help you know when to look for spawners.

I'll keep those points in mind. Its a lot for me to do, but I'll do my best.

Another thing that will help a lot is to guess where you will spawn.  That will help you understand and predict spawns a lot faster.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ever since they opened up the community doubles that's all I really play. With that said going back and watching the other teams POVs has helped me learn where the enemy general spawns in location to where I am located, my team mate, and where they died. If you can work on those three things you can really narrow down where they spawn and will be able to get a jump start on where to nade.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For spawns/map awareness, I do similar to stuff that has been posted here. I'll try to give a thorough explanation if that helps what goes on in my head and my friends who I played a lot with.

First though, my teammates (i usually run to4 in Arena with a group of 10ish+ people in our little group) do a lot of small talk.We generally communicate in a sense that it's more of a conversation than anything else I'd say. Lots of small talk when we play, I think for map awareness and spawns, small talk helps a good amount.

Anyways, I'll throw some example for a scenario. Rig Slayer, your team is around the areas of Nest, Bunker and Mid corner. Think in a birds eye view point of where your team is with a general idea of which LoS each teammate has. For example, nest can see Carbine for the most part and anyone catwalk, Mid corner can see snipe and t2, Bunker can see t2 and engine, etc. Lets say the opponents are 4 down to make this a bit more easily explainable. Your teammate at Nest can affirm anyone spawning at Carbine, if hes not calling anything out you know they have only one other spawn location on the map they can possibly spawn in, Yellow Corner. So you have your team collapse on Yellow Corner. The opponents have 3 options here, run to T2 (the most easily accessible and best elevation but the most greedy), Basement (the worst elevation but disciplined), Long hall (good cover but if collapsed youre done for and high chance of a 1v1) and Back Rail (Decent position but not everyone can go here as its a bad idea for bad spacing reasons). The reason im stating the potential options the spawning team has is to also have good map awareness, you need to understand the options your opponents have. 

Also a thing that is very rarely discussed, is timing opponents spawn times. Say you get 1-3 dead but in each of those deaths they were past 10 seconds. What that means is that throughout this whole engagement, the match is a 3v4. There is a reason EG says something on the line of "3 Fresh", its because they are timing spawn times so they are more aware of who is on the map, when they spawn and where they will be. This helps with numbers advantage and the like and is really good to have once you start leveling up your map awareness. 

I know I wrote this really badly, so if you have any questions ask away

• Upvote (+1) 6

Playing on low level alts helps with learning the spawn system I find.

The game moves at a much, much slower pace and you get to dictate much of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

snip

Great post man.  But I'm guessing that the OP doesn't usually play in a to4 (correct me if i'm wrong).  I was trying to help him use his HUD to narrow down possible spawn locations, that way he can still have an idea of where to look without any communication.  Once he plays with a team regularly, your tips are really helpful.  I'm just not sure he's there yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another thing that will help a lot is to guess where you will spawn. That will help you understand and predict spawns a lot faster.

Guess where I spawn? Dude I know that I am not the OP but I think that is a great way to do it. I have quite literally never thought of or heard of that tip before.

Great advice!

• Upvote (+1) 3

For spawns/map awareness, I do similar to stuff that has been posted here. I'll try to give a thorough explanation if that helps what goes on in my head and my friends who I played a lot with.

First though, my teammates (i usually run to4 in Arena with a group of 10ish+ people in our little group) do a lot of small talk.We generally communicate in a sense that it's more of a conversation than anything else I'd say. Lots of small talk when we play, I think for map awareness and spawns, small talk helps a good amount.

Anyways, I'll throw some example for a scenario. Rig Slayer, your team is around the areas of Nest, Bunker and Mid corner. Think in a birds eye view point of where your team is with a general idea of which LoS each teammate has. For example, nest can see Carbine for the most part and anyone catwalk, Mid corner can see snipe and t2, Bunker can see t2 and engine, etc. Lets say the opponents are 4 down to make this a bit more easily explainable. Your teammate at Nest can affirm anyone spawning at Carbine, if hes not calling anything out you know they have only one other spawn location on the map they can possibly spawn in, Yellow Corner. So you have your team collapse on Yellow Corner. The opponents have 3 options here, run to T2 (the most easily accessible and best elevation but the most greedy), Basement (the worst elevation but disciplined), Long hall (good cover but if collapsed youre done for and high chance of a 1v1) and Back Rail (Decent position but not everyone can go here as its a bad idea for bad spacing reasons). The reason im stating the potential options the spawning team has is to also have good map awareness, you need to understand the options your opponents have.

Also a thing that is very rarely discussed, is timing opponents spawn times. Say you get 1-3 dead but in each of those deaths they were past 10 seconds. What that means is that throughout this whole engagement, the match is a 3v4. There is a reason EG says something on the line of "3 Fresh", its because they are timing spawn times so they are more aware of who is on the map, when they spawn and where they will be. This helps with numbers advantage and the like and is really good to have once you start leveling up your map awareness.

I know I wrote this really badly, so if you have any questions ask away

So, to sum up most of your post, understand the spawners' options and keep track of how many opponents are alive/dead/spawning?

Great stuff.

Like many others have said, you can't have map awareness without spawn awareness. Your goal is to figure out where the opponent will be and where they'll want to go from there. So in order to do this you need to know how the spawn system works and the spawn areas of each map. Then you'll want to know where the opponent is most likely to go based off their spawn. 

Spawn System:

For spawning you'll spawn in a safe area, a safe area is a place away from danger, a place away from danger is next to a teammate that isn't in a fight or near an opponent, or an area that's away from the opponent/damage(bullets and grenades).

Drills To Practice To Help Better Understand The Spawns:

-Guess where you'll spawn based on where everyone is (teammates and enemies).

-Watch pro streams and guess where they'll spawn. 

-Write down where you spawn and then look at what spawns are most popular over others. This will help you acknowledge where the opponent will be coming from more often.

Situations Opponents Can be In Off Their Spawn:

You'll also need to know the opponents best counter option based on the situation that they're in off their new spawn. To help narrow it down you'll want people on your team to say what spawn they're watching so you find the opponent faster so you'll have a better chance at zoning the opponent. Here's a list of the possible situations opponents can be in off their spawn: They want to get control of their base, they need to overextend to stop an objective, they need to get ready for a weapon/power-up, or the want to help a teammate who's in trouble. So I'll explain these situations.

The Opponent Has To Make A Decision To Get Control Of Their Base Or To Overextend:

So for example if you're playing Truth CTF and you just got the opponent 4 dead and they're spawning bubble, you have to know if they're gonna focus on pushing out to get to your side or if they're gonna try to get control of their base again. (They might kinda do a mix of this based on number advantage so they could send players to both bases from carbine). Basically to understand this all you gotta do is know if they can stop the flag from their base or not, if not expect a lot of them to overextend to try to get angles. If they can stop the flag from their base, they will probably commit to their base. So expect that. But if you're playing a really good team, they might give the flag up and just go for base control unless it's the last flag. So once you know what to expect, you then need to zone those areas by preaiming/prenading, (in the example above you would go to the opponents top base and throw nades at their car door). 

The Opponent Needs To Get Ready For Weapons/Power-ups:

Also keep in mind the clock for Intel on where the opponent will be. If power ups/weapons are about to be up, if you know the player spawns, and you know what you have blocked, then all you gotta do is zone the areas that the enemy is most likely to come from. Only times this gets tricky is when a lot of weapons/power ups come up simultaneously, so in this case you'd want to zone the area of the most important weapon or power up first. Also keep the clock in mind to know if the game is mathematically impossible if the opponent doesn't overextend. In this situation expect them to overextend and zone that. That means you can go into areas that they shouldn't be because of where they expect you to be. But that will come with awareness.

The Opponent Is Going To Try To Flank For Their Teammate Who's in Trouble:

And another big thing to know is if you're being flanked or not. To help know this you can take steps to fight flankers by having the last guy to spawn on your team push out the other way from everyone else, or to have him just chill in the base or somewhere around the base and watch the flank. (Example, you send 3 guys pink on Truth, and the last guy pushes car bubble and just stares car1/car2. I see Lethul do this a lot btw). Another rule of thumb to follow is to never have more than 2 guys focused on the same enemy. This way you'll have at most 2 other players zoning the next area the opponent is expected to come from. And in a situation like this you know the opponent should be trying to help the player that's getting 2v1'd by your team so all you gotta do is zone routes from the opponents side around the guy that's being 2v1'd. (Example being on Coliseum Flag, you have 2 teammate fighting a guy in grass and you're top cat walk, instead of helping them fight the guy grass you should nade the opponents snipe ramp, soar to pyramid watch the snipe sneaky and then clear out maze. If you do those things you'll probably caught a sprinting opponent which is an easy kill since you'll have first shot). 

So just remember to zone the opponent based on what you have controlled, what weapons are coming up, if the game is mathematically impossible, if the opponent is being forced to overextend, and if you have a 2v1 situation on the opponent. I think these are all the situations possible, they just come in many different forms. Sometimes you'll get unlucky and you'll deal with a split spawn, but that can be prevented for the most part if you keep a spawn open. Anyways if you study these situations and practice them, you'll get it down no doubt. Good luck with it yo.

EDIT: I forgot to add spawn system explanation and drills to practice.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Great post man.  But I'm guessing that the OP doesn't usually play in a to4 (correct me if i'm wrong).  I was trying to help him use his HUD to narrow down possible spawn locations, that way he can still have an idea of where to look without any communication.  Once he plays with a team regularly, your tips are really helpful.  I'm just not sure he's there yet.

Oh yeah true you have a good point and what you said definitely hits what he needs help with then. Honestly i might do some solo queue myself a bit more (I very rarely go solo) to understand where everyone is coming from. I feel very naked when I don't have teammates listening to me, which is usually what most TB members are basically doing. 

Speaking of, I don't play this game a lot lately as im playing other stuff but if you want to play someitme with a somewhat competent player, my tag is Zuzu

So, to sum up most of your post, understand the spawners' options and keep track of how many opponents are alive/dead/spawning?

Great stuff.

Basically, and thanks!

Most maps in h5 have a general 4 corners main spawn sort of system. Rig is Nest, Bunker, Carbine, Yellow corner. Fathom is Silos, Lobby, elbow, generator.  etc. Plaza is Nest, Blue, Yard and Tram. Blue though does become hotel at times and that might be counted as a 5th "corner" but generally you can deduce where players are going to spawn by where your buddies are and whats the furthest "corner" 

Edit: something @@bunniesz23 told me that he does is he watches lethuls streams and when lethul does a decision/action he reviews why he did that. And if he disagrees he tries to see if there is any reasoning in Lethuls perspective in an open mindset. Totally recommend doing something like that once you get a group of 4 or something

• Upvote (+1) 2

Edit: something @@bunniesz23 told me that he does is he watches lethuls streams and when lethul does a decision/action he reviews why he did that. And if he disagrees he tries to see if there is any reasoning in Lethuls perspective in an open mindset. Totally recommend doing something like that once you get a group of 4 or something

Little correction: guess what he's going to do and then figure out why he made the play he did if I guessed wrong. It's a drill about making the correct decision with the information you're given. Think of it like flash cards when you are studying, reviewing the play afterwards would be like looking at the answer before you even tried to answer the question.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Once again, I appreciate the replies. 

I dont try to solo queue Arena, but sometimes I will solo SWAT or Slayer. The only playlists I run solo or with team mates are Infection, FFA, and Grifball. 

All this will take lots of time to master, but thats why I am here. 

You can always use Forge to check out where spawn points are located on every map. 

"Back in my day, we had to memorize spawns by trial and error!"   :walshy:

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 6

You can always use Forge to check out where spawn points are located on every map. 

Every time a new map hits this is my compulsive response. Once you've learned where the specific spawn points (and any zones or Objectives that may influence them!) are and you either enroll a few friends to properly study specific spawning outcomes, or just play a lot with this awareness, patterns begin to form that can be understood and applied to one's gameplay.

I feel like it's a great shortcut; you can spend however long in Forge it takes you to memorise the majority of the spawn locations and then begin consciously considering those during your gameplay immediately. Prior to Forge being released in December I know that I fell behind the curve for map knowledge simply because I was so used to using Forge as a learning aid, so I'd strongly recommend it as a starting point for anyone wanting to improve their map awareness/knowledge.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For halo 5 at least, I would strongly recommend that you spend more time improving your awareness rather than mastering the spawns. The spawn on most maps in Halo 5 are very messed up and in many situations, you opponents can spawn in an area that your could never predict. This means that improving your awareness and being more prepared to handle these unexpected battles is much more valuable to attempting to force your opponents to spawn in a specific location.