CyReN

Grand Theft Auto V Thread

If game of the year is based around story only, Last of Us wins. Hands down.

If we factor everything else a game brings to the table, especially once everyone gets their hands on the multiplayer, I think this game blows Last of Us out of the water. It is quite unfair to completely judge this game when we still haven't seen such a big piece of it. 

If game of the year is based around story only, Last of Us wins. Hands down.

If we factor everything else a game brings to the table, especially once everyone gets their hands on the multiplayer, I think this game blows Last of Us out of the water. It is quite unfair to completely judge this game when we still haven't seen such a big piece of it.

No. It's not just based off the story. While yes the story plays a big role The Last of Us has better graphics(I know it's not the most important thing), the game play is excellent. The mechanics well done and there's soooooo many intense moments in that game while GTA doesn't have a whole lot of intense moments. Partly has to do with the story and also because of how easy it is. Vice is more intense moments than GTA V. It's one of best stealth games and one of the best survival horror games out there.

GTA has an advantage because it's an open world game and you can do all this stuff, but honestly for campaign i don't care. Doing bicycle races down mountains and marathons is something I think would be more enjoyable playing online.

Yes I'm missing out the online part and that it's going to be a huge part of the game(or so we think), but there's nothing wrong with rating the single player as a whole game. It's a single player game that has online, not online that has single player, this isn't CoD were talking about.

Also like I said the story does play a huge role, but it's a pretty fucking good story. They don't just say The Last of Us has an excellent story. How the quality of the story matches the quality of the game.

It's not like GTA has done anything original or extra special compared to other games. Just Cause 2 is far larger than GTA V and Sleeping a Dogs is also an open world game with little details(not as detailed as GTA v, but still). The only thing it's done different is you can switch through different players in an open world game.

The only thing GTA V like I said is an open world, everything else about The Last of Us is better.

The Last of Us > Vice City > GTA V.

Not even going to have the conversation if you think, and I quote

It's not like GTA has done anything original or extra special compared to other games.

That might be the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you want to have that conversation though we could bring it up with Last of Us and make a much more compelling argument, but this isn't the place. 

Not to mention saying the online isn't an important part of the GTA franchise when it kept GTA 4 in the top 10 most played XBL games for 5 years straight. I think this online experience is going to be a little more ambitious and fulfilling than even what GTA 4 brought, but GTA 4 cops and crooks with 6-8 people is one of the best experiences you'll get on the 360. 

Now, I love Vice City, and it has the best setting by far of any Grand Theft Auto game, but it isn't better than this. It isn't better than this based on the mechanics and repetitiveness alone. We could delve into some of the other supper issues and especially the bugs that come up. 

Overall, you are judging this game extremely early, when half the experience, another 500 missions, haven't even seen the daylight. 

Not even going to have the conversation if you think, and I quote

That might be the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you want to have that conversation though we could bring it up with Last of Us and make a much more compelling argument, but this isn't the place.

Not to mention saying the online isn't an important part of the GTA franchise when it kept GTA 4 in the top 10 most played XBL games for 5 years straight. I think this online experience is going to be a little more ambitious and fulfilling than even what GTA 4 brought, but GTA 4 cops and crooks with 6-8 people is one of the best experiences you'll get on the 360.

Now, I love Vice City, and it has the best setting by far of any Grand Theft Auto game, but it isn't better than this. It isn't better than this based on the mechanics and repetitiveness alone. We could delve into some of the other supper issues and especially the bugs that come up.

Overall, you are judging this game extremely early, when half the experience, another 500 missions, haven't even seen the daylight.

Edit: How is that silly to say? Why not inform me instead of leaving me ignorant? I'm not some close minded being. I'm willing to listen.

Okay well shoot. An open world has been done before, a large open world has been done before. The only thing different about this game is that it's more detailed and switching through different character while you play.

Tell me what GTA does better than what The Last of Us does.

GTA IVs MP is bland. I've played it. So what if it's been in the top 10 for 5 years. People liked playing online that was nothing special good for GTA. Why bring up its popularity? Popularity does not equal quality. GTA has always been a single player game. Do you realize how many GTA games there are that don't had online while there's only 2 games that do have it?

Honestly if your defence is "wait for the online" then that says something about the single player.

Might as well do Halo 3 vs The Last of Us with the argument you're making.

GTA V is a more quality game than Vice City yes, but GTA Vice City was more difficult which helped make the game more intense, in a good way. Had a better theme. Cheats actually took some skill which I do give Vice City point for. I realize there's a lot of problems with Vice City, but it was plain an simple more fun because of those reasons.

Edit: regardless of wha game is more quality, in the end i had more fun playing Vice City.

Also I'd prefer if you didn't just shove this over cause I do enjoy having debates and id like to know why and how GTA V blows The Last of Us out of the water. If you don't want talk about in this thread there's always OT of GG, but were talking about GTA V and how it compares to other games.

Well the first, and major thing that this game does better than any other thing, is deliver you a complete package of multiple assets, that are well developed, thought out, and quality. The details that they provide when it comes to things as simple as golf or tennis is not something any other game does. Everything you do in this game hasn't been just thrown in, but has been developed. No other game in the world has done that and it is on a completely other level even in comparison to GTA 4. 

How many things do you want that it does better? Replayability and soon Online experience will be way better. 

How is GTA 4's multiplayer bland? Maybe free roam is, but that is because there is less to do than there is in the single player campaign. This is trying to bring a single player campaign and experience to the online realm (another thing a sandbox game hasn't done). Like I said, go play Cops and Crooks or one of the main other great multiplayer modes with 6-8 friends. You'll change your mind. 

If you think I'm saying wait for online as a defense you aren't properly reading my post and twisting my words which I don't appreciate. I am saying that you can't just factor out the online experience that you are getting with a game because it doesn't fit your argument. IT IS A HUGE PART OF THIS GAME. It will factor in to how it is judged for game of the year and as we move forward in time and look back at the games that made this generation of gaming. If you want to be sarcastic with your "halo 3 vs The Last of Us" comment though, be my guest. 

Vice City is more difficult because the shooting mechanics aren't any good and either is the cover system(which was hope your guy doesn't stand/crouch in the wrong way when I flick my stick to try and shoot this direction). That doesn't make it more fun, that makes it more frustrating. I can't even begin to figure your reasoning for thinking HAVING to use cheats is something that makes the game better. It means it was poorly made, and the only way to beat the system is suffer through and grind over and over or cheat the system. These aren't button combos, they are simple things you stop and find time to put in throughout the game if you are smart about how you play. 

This should be shoved over though and I probably won't respond much more if it all. We are one, comparing two games that are so astronomically different it's stupid and yet you want me to sit here and try and tell you what one does better than the other. Second, you love the Last of Us, everyone knows it, as you have brought it up multiple times in this thread unprompted as a game that this should be compared to. Anything I say, you're going to just disagree. It will just be a pointless back and forth, and I'd rather not deal with that. 

Its the little things that make GTA V the GOAT as far as im concerned. The story was decent at best, the mechanics (driving, flying, shooting, etc) are good, and the dialogue is excellent. Things like rear ending someone and having them flip you the bird, listening to the radio and hearing R*'s mocking of our country's issues, and waking up in the middle of nowhere as trevor piss drunk wearing a dress are what make this game amazing. 

The humor is so well done in this game. I think that is where a lot of my enjoyment comes from. 

All the side stories, Trevor, the little comments pedestrians make, and the radio. 

Where do I get scuba gear at? My fair it's thing to do in this game is explore the waters even though I'm terrified of open water where sharks are at. Even in the game.

Where do I get scuba gear at? My fair it's thing to do in this game is explore the waters even though I'm terrified of open water where sharks are at. Even in the game.

There is a black boat at the bottom middle point of the map you can jump in, drive wherever, and when you jump in the water it puts Scuba Gear on you. 

Went and found a video. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well the first, and major thing that this game does better than any other thing, is deliver you a complete package of multiple assets, that are well developed, thought out, and quality. The details that they provide when it comes to things as simple as golf or tennis is not something any other game does. Everything you do in this game hasn't been just thrown in, but has been developed. No other game in the world has done that and it is on a completely other level even in comparison to GTA 4.

How many things do you want that it does better? Replayability and soon Online experience will be way better.

How is GTA 4's multiplayer bland? Maybe free roam is, but that is because there is less to do than there is in the single player campaign. This is trying to bring a single player campaign and experience to the online realm (another thing a sandbox game hasn't done). Like I said, go play Cops and Crooks or one of the main other great multiplayer modes with 6-8 friends. You'll change your mind.

If you think I'm saying wait for online as a defense you aren't properly reading my post and twisting my words which I don't appreciate. I am saying that you can't just factor out the online experience that you are getting with a game because it doesn't fit your argument. IT IS A HUGE PART OF THIS GAME. It will factor in to how it is judged for game of the year and as we move forward in time and look back at the games that made this generation of gaming. If you want to be sarcastic with your "halo 3 vs The Last of Us" comment though, be my guest.

Vice City is more difficult because the shooting mechanics aren't any good and either is the cover system(which was hope your guy doesn't stand/crouch in the wrong way when I flick my stick to try and shoot this direction). That doesn't make it more fun, that makes it more frustrating. I can't even begin to figure your reasoning for thinking HAVING to use cheats is something that makes the game better. It means it was poorly made, and the only way to beat the system is suffer through and grind over and over or cheat the system. These aren't button combos, they are simple things you stop and find time to put in throughout the game if you are smart about how you play.

This should be shoved over though and I probably won't respond much more if it all. We are one, comparing two games that are so astronomically different it's stupid and yet you want me to sit here and try and tell you what one does better than the other. Second, you love the Last of Us, everyone knows it, as you have brought it up multiple times in this thread unprompted as a game that this should be compared to. Anything I say, you're going to just disagree. It will just be a pointless back and forth, and I'd rather not deal with that.

Yeah I said that GTA has an advantage of being an open world game. But the mechanics in the game sent the best, but are well done, but compared to a game like The Last of Us.

So what if I Love The Us? There's a reason for that. If GTA V was better I would've thought that. Don't forget I wasn't all hyped liked everyone else for both The Last of Us and GTA V. I wasn't extremely hyped for GTA V and expect just a bigger and prettier San Andreas which is essentially what I got. From all the hype I expected to do more than just look for sharks(that's my favourite thing to in this game is just explore the open waters).

Other people have lower standard or different standards. GTA is an open world game where you can do anything so I see the appeal, but we've been we've been playing games like this for years. Saints Row 1 and 2 has a TON to do. All those crazy side missions. Sleeping Dogs also has a detailed game. They even made a tourist outfit where you lose money when you buy stuff cause you look like a tourist so they try and rip you off. They went that far. Not only that, but IMO has a better story.

Again I'll bring up Just Cause 2. That game is overwhelming as fuck cause of how big it is. There's also a lot to do in that game too.

Nah I don't think so. You're telling me that I'm missing a huge chunk f the game(the online). But that's online, not single player. What if you don't have online? Then it's only a single player game. I'm waiting for the online, but I don't think trees nothing wrong with criticizing the game without playing the online.

It's actually easier to shoot in Vice City cause of auto aim. You just press R1 and it locks on. That's not why it's difficult. The game gets extremely hard because of the amount of cops you have to deal with and the person you have to keep alive. Cheats were a big part of GTA. They probably insisted you use cheats. And yes they are like combos. I just recently beat the game and if you fucked up the chest you were dead.

In that last big score I ditched the cops sooooooo easily it's ridiculous and kills the game for me. I lost 5 stars in like a minute. I go in my car, drive off and find a construction place and just sat there until the stars went away. No scratch on my car.

Yes they're different games, but guess what? That's not how awards work. They are both games so they will both be nominated for GOTY.

Anyways about the detail thing. There's ton of detail in The Last of Us too. They just do it in a different way. So. Again there's a reason I hold The Last of Us so highly. Not just for shits and giggles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can also buy the sonar dock and get the boat there with the submarine once you meet the lady who asks for you to find the submarine parts. Was running around with a scuba outfit on today.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is a black boat at the bottom middle point of the map you can jump in, drive wherever, and when you jump in the water it puts Scuba Gear on you.

Went and found a video.

Thanks dude. Appreciate it.

You can also buy the sonar dock and get the boat there with the submarine once you meet the lady who asks for you to find the submarine parts. Was running around with a scuba outfit on today.

I'm not aware this lady you speak of. I'll have to check it out later. That's all been wanting to do this entire game is explore the open waters .

Here's something and I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking about this. The DLC. I hope they do something awesome this game like they did with Red Dead by making Undead Nightmare.

Is there a weapon you can use underwater like a harpoon gun or something? I tried googling, but no go. I'm in my phone so it's not too fun trying to search around for shit.

The Last of Us win in terms of the best story, hands down. Bioshock Infinite is a close second. Though, as a video game, GTA V is my GOTY. Replayability is a huge factor for me and GTA V nails is. I can't put this game down even after completing the story three days ago, and GTA Online hasn't even come out yet.

You guys know you can switch characters to get 100% health... it's easier than driving to a safehouse to me at least.

Oh and damn I finally managed to steal a fighter jet and escape!!

The Last of Us win in terms of the best story, hands down. Bioshock Infinite is a close second. Though, as a video game, GTA V is my GOTY. Replayability is a huge factor for me and GTA V nails is. I can't put this game down even after completing the story three days ago, and GTA Online hasn't even come out yet.

With GTA V lacking in a very compelling story there is no replayability for me. There's a reason why I decided to fuck around while playing instead of rushing to beat the game then fucking around. I beat the game last night and after exploring the waters a ton I'm done with the game until online.

The Last of Us I could probably play over and over again because how well the game play is and how amazing the story is. Also you unlock

survival mode in The Last of Us which adds more difficulty and intensity to the game which then adds replayability if you didn't already think the game has replayability(which it does).

If GTA V allowed you to rob bans and plan your own heists when ever you want this games replayability would go right up, but it doesn't allow you to do that. But if you want you can rob a gas station for $500 and then drive away from a 1 star! Game is too easy with a lack of a really compelling story. When you got games like Infinite and The Last of Us you need to do more than just make a good looking game. But that's just my opinion.

The Last of Us:

Story = 10/10

Game play = 10/10

GTA V:

Story = 6 or 7/10

Game play = 9 or 10/10

How much shit there is to do in the game = 10/10 compared to other open world games, but compare it to R* ability I expected a little more. I really did.

The Last of Us not only has an amazing story, but also has realllllllly good game play while GTA V has a beautiful open world with an average story.

I just don't see how GTA V gets game of the year when it doesn't do anything better than The Last of Us when comparing the 2. I mean unless you think The Last of Us' game play is average then that adds up. Except I never heard The Last of Us' game play being average.

I understand that GTA V has the beautiful open world where there is insane little detail and how you can go hunting or play tennis. But this isn't a sim game and if they wanted to make it somewhat a sin game they should've added more to give that sim experience which isn't that great to be honest. These activities are something I really excited to do online with my friends, but in the SP I don't really care. I expect the online to match the hype and sales of the game. I'm excited for the online. If the online is this whole new crazy experience then IMO we can start talking about GOTY.

I also apologize if me arguing over what's better and what is GOTY is obnoxious to you guys, but the year is almost up and award shows will be here soon and I like discussing and talking about this stuff. It's an opinion whether you like what game more, but if you try looking it objectively it's a different conversation. Which is what I'm trying to do.

Bioshock Infinite GOTY.

I still need I play it before I can make my final judgement, but I like this argument better. The Last of Us vs Infinite that is.

I'll probably still pick The Last of Us as I give it the game of the generation. I honestly can't think of a game that id pick over The Last of Us this entire generation. Such a well done game.

If you want to continue this discussion, feel free to start a thread about possible Games of the Year.. This continues to not be the place to talk about how much more you like The Last of Us.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh and damn I finally managed to steal a fighter jet and escape!!

Good job GPOT! Do you want to be in my crew?

Seriously though, the jet makes under the bridge and knifing way easier.

Thanks dude. Appreciate it.

I'm not aware this lady you speak of. I'll have to check it out later. That's all been wanting to do this entire game is explore the open waters .

You have to buy the sonar dock to meet her.  Once you do, a little while later there will be one of the question marks there marking a strangers and freaks mission which is her asking you to find her husbands submarine parts.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is there a weapon you can use underwater like a harpoon gun or something? I tried googling, but no go. I'm in my phone so it's not too fun trying to search around for shit.

You can use your knife under water.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure theres an achievement for knifing a shark.

Kinda bummed theres no police or fire truck missions like in past GTA's

If you want to continue this discussion, feel free to start a thread about possible Games of the Year.. This continues to not be the place to talk about how much more you like The Last of Us.

Well I'm talking about how I enjoyed it and I'm comparing and contrasting it to other games I've enjoyed this year, but alight, I'll eventually make a GOTY thread.