CyReN

Film Discussion

finally have seemed all the best picture noms. rankings, imo.

1. Moonlight

2. Arrival

3. La La Land

4. Manchester by the Sea

5. Lion

6. Fences

7. Hidden Figures

8. Hell or High Water

9. Hacksaw Ridge

swap La La Land and Moonlight and you nailed it

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Passengers sucked. They totally missed a better ending too... they shoulda had a kid.

I just downloaded that, watched Arrival instead. Worth watching??

My top 3 in no particular order:

Deadpool

10 Cloverfield Lane

Sausage Party

I think those were the only 3 movies I saw though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, JLs ass is nice... thats bout it.

What is the fappening for $500, Alex?

I'll just watch it with the girlfriend when we're bored.

Still need to watch Captain Fantastic, The Girl with All the Gifts and Swiss Army Man.

knocked off a couple more on the Oscar list.  

Manchester by the sea was brutally boring... i fell asleep about 35 minutes in and have zero interest in trying to get through it again.

Also, Lion was ok.  Very predictable ending.

Can these oscar bait movies at least try to add something of intersest within these films?  I mean, how much fucking weed do you need to smoke to get into the story lines?  Arrival is still my favorite movie of the year.  Nothing else comes close imo.

Character studies must not be your thing. Which isn't uncommon. I always think back to the There Will Be Blood vs No Country for Old Men argument from 2007 since the former is a film about a man while the latter is a film about an idea. I'm curious which of those two you prefer, Cypress.

Character studies must not be your thing. Which isn't uncommon. I always think back to the There Will Be Blood vs No Country for Old Men argument from 2007 since the former is a film about a man while the latter is a film about an idea. I'm curious which of those two you prefer, Cypress.

No Country for Old Men >  but it's a close call.  DDL is tier 1 and I generally really like his movies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No Country for Old Men > but it's a close call. DDL is tier 1 and I generally really like his movies.

Yeah, I was going to say that TWBB still isn't the best litmus test just because DDL's presence is so fucking immaculate & grandiose. Can't wait for the new PTA/DDL collab. PTA is easily one of the best actor directors working today, so teaming up w/ DDL is just a match made in cinematic heaven.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Idunno how many of you guys buy blu-rays/dvds but target has this buy 2 get 1 free deal goin on right now for pretty much all their movies. Works on pre-orders and criterions too. 

Action was hard to follow/shot terribly like most in film is today, and Keanu Reeves isn't much of an actor, making it hard to feel sorry for him.

Idk, just felt bland.

• Upvote (+1) 1

John Wick > John Wick 2

JW2 is still good, but didn't have the same feel as the first time. This one felt more like a Jason Statham action movie and less like a feared "boogieman" or perfect assassin.

John Wick 3?

I'm curious to see how the third one will play out though. I'm guessing the first scene is John getting his car back and then we probably never see Aurelio again. Then you've got Morpheus and his giant crew, which could be quite large if they're all disguised as homeless change beggars. I'm wondering if they team up and Morpheus keeps him alive to help him gain more power, maybe?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bought Arrival on Valentines Day. Watched it last night with my little sister and mom. I knew they would be confused at the end haha. I loved it, but even I don't fully understand it. 

John Wick 2 looks terrible....just my opinion. Wasn't a fan at all of the first one. However, I am glad to see The Lego Batman movie doing well. 

Dang it...I still want to see Hacksaw Ridge.

Lego Movie was a stroke of genius imho

It took a ridiculous and seemingly sellout idea and turned into an actual charming movie.

Gonna definitely check out Lego Batman as well

• Upvote (+1) 1