CyReN

Film Discussion

or probably the novel that was published more than twenty years before Hyperion

Ahh. Wasn't aware. It's the other way round then.

Just finished moonlight. Wow was that a Hollywood oscarbait snooze festival. If it wins anything, its only because it got the minority, lgbt sympathy vote.

Just finished moonlight. Wow was that a Hollywood oscarbait snooze festival. If it wins anything, its only because it got the minority, lgbt sympathy vote.

alright. I guess near-flawless filmmaking & storytelling means nothing if it lacks the pizzazz to hold a short attention span

not to mention it's probably the least "Hollywood" of any the nominations this year. You're also completely missing the point of the story looking @ it through a minority/lgbt lens. But you're prob just baiting & i'm falling for it

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

alright. I guess near-flawless filmmaking & storytelling means nothing if it lacks the pizzazz to hold a short attention span

not to mention it's probably the least "Hollywood" of any the nominations this year. You're also completely missing the point of the story looking @ it through a minority/lgbt lens. But you're prob just baiting & i'm falling for it

come on man! 

I've heard nothing but great things about Moonlight hap so I'm sure he's only pulling your chain! lol 

not trolling, I honestly thought the film was dull as fuck.  Sure, the cinemetography was pretty solid and I liked certain scenes (drug dealer teaching the boy how to swim) and I'll add that the soundtrack was pretty good but the story had nothing in it that was significant and where did it go?  ...it circled back to the guy that stuck his hand down the kids pants and jerked him off.  oh... so touching, so many feelz.  movie sucked balls.  2/10.

• Upvote (+1) 1

not trolling, I honestly thought the film was dull as fuck. Sure, the cinemetography was pretty solid and I liked certain scenes (drug dealer teaching the boy how to swim) and I'll add that the soundtrack was pretty good but the story had nothing in it that was significant and where did it go? ...it circled back to the guy that stuck his hand down the kids pants and jerked him off. oh... so touching, so many feelz. movie sucked balls. 2/10.

maybe if the characters were white you would have paid more attention to the progressions of the main character & the events in his life that shaped him
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

maybe if the characters were white you would have paid more attention to the progressions of the main character & the events in his life that shaped him

its ok if I don't like a movie that you really liked.  I respect your opinions on stuff...  and why pull the race card?  seems petty.

(also.. accidental neg)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Have you ever started watching movie trailers on youtube and then two hours go by and now you want to see 15 different movies?

You just keep being you.

its ok if I don't like a movie that you really liked. I respect your opinions on stuff... and why pull the race card? seems petty.

(also.. accidental neg)

only because you felt as though it would only win awards due to race baiting. It was only a half serious comment.

Of course you can dislike a film that I liked, I just don't think there is much weight in some of your criticisms because I feel as though they can be objectively argued against from a filmmaking & screenwriting point of view. The protagonist had a clear arc, & there are a lot of events & subtleties in each chapter that shape the Chiron of the chapter that follows. If you had trouble connecting or relating to the characters (probably why you thought it was so dull), which might be what you're trying to get at, then that is understandable because it's a matter of personal subjectivity when viewing a film. I know a few people who felt the same way, which can obviously make it difficult to get into a film, especially one that is a pointed character study like Moonlight.

Also, I thought I already responded to this, but I guess not.

• Upvote (+1) 3

All i say this

You just keep being you.

You respodned with "I can hear your blood boiling from here bruh"

Then you give this wall.

only because you felt as though it would only win awards due to race baiting. It was only a half serious comment.

Of course you can dislike a film that I liked, I just don't think there is much weight in some of your criticisms because I feel as though they can be objectively argued against from a filmmaking & screenwriting point of view. The protagonist had a clear arc, & there are a lot of events & subtleties in each chapter that shape the Chiron of the chapter that follows. If you had trouble connecting or relating to the characters (probably why you thought it was so dull), which might be what you're trying to get at, then that is understandable because it's a matter of personal subjectivity when viewing a film. I know a few people who felt the same way, which can obviously make it difficult to get into a film, especially one that is a pointed character study like Moonlight.

Also, I thought I already responded to this, but I guess not.

Like I said. You just keep being you.

And I actually liked the movie lol

And I watched Badabook last night. Good acting, meh movie.

I don't see your point

I just wasn't a fan of Badabook's plot is all. I got the whole depression symbolism thing but I feel that the actress carried the lacking depth of the movie.

finally have seemed all the best picture noms. rankings, imo.

1. Moonlight

2. Arrival

3. La La Land

4. Manchester by the Sea

5. Lion

6. Fences

7. Hidden Figures

8. Hell or High Water

9. Hacksaw Ridge

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just wasn't a fan of Badabook's plot is all. I got the whole depression symbolism thing but I feel that the actress carried the lacking depth of the movie.

I was referring to you referencing my response to Cypress.

In regards to The Babadook, it's definitely one if the most divisive horror films from recent years when it comes to the general public in comparison to its critical reception. I've found The Witch & It Follows to be similarly divisive within my social circle. I can see the arguments against all three, but I thought they were all really good & unique films in a genre that has grown stale over the years. I personally know someone who is a single mother raising a son w/ really bad ADHD, so I felt as though I was able to connect to the mother character in The Babadook because I saw a lot of parallels between the characters & the family I know when it comes to that specific mother/son binary & the ways in which it effects others who exist within that social bubble. I thought it was an interesting representation of the psychological struggle experienced by someone in that particular position as a single mother trying to raise an unruly child.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The spiderman dude in Hacksaw Ridge looked like he was over-acting in the trailers, like real bad. Is this true in the movie? Be real.