CyReN

Film Discussion

To people discussing Boyhood: Do you think the narrative would hold up had it not been shot the way it was shot? I haven't seen it yet, so I'm just curious.

To people discussing Boyhood: Do you think the narrative would hold up had it not been shot the way it was shot? I haven't seen it yet, so I'm just curious.

The narrative itself was subject to changes in the lives of those performing in the film, as well as those producing it. It's likely that the story would be different, if only slightly. Also there would be an obvious issue with casting different actors that kinda look alike to play the same character. I don't think people would buy in nearly as much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I generally have unpopular opinions of movies that do something innovative in their production but not their narrative. Memento, for instance, is a movie that I don't love nearly as much as others. The way that movie is put together is interesting, but take away that sort of gimmick and the narrative isn't all that original. I guess my general question on Boyhood is whether or not the film needed to be shot that way to tell an interesting story, or is it a fairly typical coming of age story with the appeal stemming from the interesting and innovative way it's shot. I'm excited to see it regardless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In The Mouth of Madness was so weird and just so...John Carpenter. Which in turn means a lot of fun.

I've never found The Thing or Prince of Darkness scary at all, but some of the almost David-Lynch-esque scenes in ITMOM had me a little creeped out. Namely this scene:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Been having such a weird relationship with GBH. Watched it again tonight because someone hadn't seen it and wanted to, and I pushed some of my annoyances aside this time around. Still not nuts about it, but I did raise my score a lil bit. Still, what Prox mentioned one time that every character is a caricature holds true (whereas there are usually one or more grounded characters that add a contrast to the hyper-caricatures Wes creates and builds), and is ultimately the greatest downfall of this film. This + that it is overtly a stylistic endeavor yet still panders to a wide audience by feeding story, plot, and exposition with the voice-over narration gives me apprehensions. I still believe that it is one of Wes' weakest, which seems to be against the grain. It's just not quite on the same level as Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox, or even Moonrise Kingdom. The existential, familial, and coming-of-age dread in those films just seems so natural and--even if hyperbolic and caricature--relatable. It's Life Aquatic/Darjeeling Limited-tier. Probably better than either of those two though. If only the first half of Life Aquatic was as good as the second half.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Watched Interstellar just now. I have to say I really enjoyed the entire film. 

I loved how everything came full circle in the end. It had a fair share of parts I didn't like, like how the found Cooper minutes before he lost air supply.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Been having such a weird relationship with GBH. Watched it again tonight because someone hadn't seen it and wanted to, and I pushed some of my annoyances aside this time around. Still not nuts about it, but I did raise my score a lil bit. Still, what Prox mentioned one time that every character is a caricature holds true (whereas there are usually one or more grounded characters that add a contrast to the hyper-caricatures Wes creates and builds), and is ultimately the greatest downfall of this film. This + that it is overtly a stylistic endeavor yet still panders to a wide audience by feeding story, plot, and exposition with the voice-over narration gives me apprehensions. I still believe that it is one of Wes' weakest, which seems to be against the grain. It's just not quite on the same level as Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox, or even Moonrise Kingdom. The existential, familial, and coming-of-age dread in those films just seems so natural and--even if hyperbolic and caricature--relatable. It's Life Aquatic/Darjeeling Limited-tier. Probably better than either of those two though. If only the first half of Life Aquatic was as good as the second half.

I liked the narration. I think it was trying to elicit the feeling you get when someone told you a great story when you were a kid, the cast of "caricatures" included. The whole thing felt like a kids storybook (for adults). Or just an ode to stories in general; how they're past down through generations and all that.

or maybe I'm reaching a bit....or a lot. Either way I think narration in general gets a lot unnecessary hate

I don't dislike narration, I just think it was abused at times in GBH so Wes Anderson could be as Wes Anderson-y as possible. He has done better storytelling in his other films. I just wasn't bonkers about the author's narration, even though I understand that it was the author retelling the story about how he came across the story of M. Gustave while we are then told the story of M. Gustave from older Zero. I don't mind the few times older Zero pops in his narration while telling his story. GBH: Everyone telling everyone stories. The narration isn't my biggest gripe anyways. Jude Law narration is just grating at times because it told the viewer things they could already see for themselves, and in a very reading-from-a-book kind of way.

American Sniper is pure, statist, military propaganda TRASH. 

Eastwood sold out big time.

He has been for almost a decade (if not more) now. His films usually deliver under budget and his clout still gets him a lot of directing gigs.

American Sniper is pure, statist, military propaganda TRASH. 

Eastwood sold out big time.

id be surprised if a film called American Sniper wasnt

I think American Sniper would've been better if it went down more of his thoughts of what he was doing. I heard at one point in his book that he "wanted to kill anyone with a quran." I guess they didn't want any backlash for the movie so they went down a fairly campy war movie route. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just watched Nightcrawler. Can understand it not getting Best Picture but how did Gyllenhaal not got a nomination for Best Actor?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just watched Nightcrawler. Can understand it not getting Best Picture but how did Gyllenhaal not got a nomination for Best Actor?

Important White People + Chris Kyle > Sociopaths to the Academy

• Upvote (+1) 1

Important White People + Chris Kyle > Sociopaths to the Academy

I mean I thought Bradley Cooper was pretty good too. Haven't seen the other movies to be able to comment though

I mean I thought Bradley Cooper was pretty good too. Haven't seen the other movies to be able to comment though

Ugh, he was good, but man trying to make us feel bad for a man who shoots a woman and a child in the first 5 mins is apparently a really easy sale to America. $100 mil last weekend, projected $50+ mil this weekend. Spielberg's version sounded so much more interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 1