CyReN

Film Discussion

Two 2.5 movies would have been enough. A lot of the stuff he cut makes sense too

Yep, greedy fucks. Didn't bother to see the 3rd.

Haven't seen much from 2014 on the higher end of things but I've come down to a Top 10. Lots of ties here, obviously Boyhood and Whiplash stood out the most.

1. Boyhood

2. Whiplash

3. The Raid 2

3. Gone Girl

3. Only Lovers Left Alive

3. Under the Skin

6. Blue Ruin

6. Frank

6. The Lego Movie

6. Nightcrawler

Still need to see: Selma, Foxcatcher, Leviathan

Don't Give a Shit About: The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything

Special shout-outs to The Grand Budapest Hotel and John Wick

Also my Worst of 2014 is as follows...

1. I, Frankenstein

2. Transformers 4

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

4. The Interview

5. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part I

I'm sure there was much worse stuff out there, but I haven't seen it yet.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Did you really enjoy Frank, Lego Movie and Under The Skin more than Snowpiercer? I was so shot in the butt with that film. One of my favorites of the year and maybe past decade. I still need to watch Raid 2.

My second viewing of IV was way better for some reason. Taking hype and expectations out of your mind can really alter your perception. I'd have to give it a 76 now.

Dude the new Transformers was so cool and stuff. There were big robots and robot dinosaurs and alien robots and girls n shit. 10/10

Easily the worst Michael Bay movie ever created. And that's saying something.

I was thinking throughout the entire movie (yes I went through it all) this movie must be targeted towards a certain type of vegetable as it's audience.

I am currently tied with @@Scalzo for 3rd most posts in this thread so I'm going to say he's the type of home grown crop on the farm that the producers were aiming toward. A legit can of corn. Cream corn.

Not going to see Inherent Vice? @@Proximity

I have to watch it again because I passed out the first time lol. From what I saw I think it would be just above Whiplash and below Boyhood

Kwozy

Yeah it was very impressive to me given how it was funded and made. I'm curious what disappointed you so much

Knight

Yeah I liked Snowpiercer but it didn't leave a big enough impression on me. The action scenes were weak outside of the first escape

Well "disappointed" makes it sound like I was massively anticipating it to begin with. I had heard some good things about it but it didn't do much for me. Didn't hate it or anything, just found it pretty dull

Ya Snowpiercer was garbo on a hot stick of shit. I recently recorded Divergent off HBO, is it worth the 2 hours or should I just delete it from my DVR now? 

I thought Blue Ruin was good but I saw it prior to the hype. I did not like Snowpiercer at all

I didn't really have anybody hype me on it. Someone was like, "Dude, this movie was crowdfunded and shot on a road trip. It actually turned out well." So I saw it, and I liked it more than I expected to. I think it's especially notable for its humble setting and weakling hero. It felt very real.

I'll try and watch Inherent Vice again tonight, then I'll likely edit my post to slide it in there. Everybody needs to watch The Raid 2 and consider how the camera moves and frames its subjects throughout the fight scenes. It's really quite sophisticated... certainly set a new standard for me in martial arts cinema.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still don't understand why some of ya'll didn't care for Interstellar. That movie blew my fucking mind. Definitely by far my favorite of 2014. Also time and time again Hans Zimmer proves he's a fucking beast composer. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

I still don't understand why some of ya'll didn't care for Interstellar. That movie blew my fucking mind. Definitely by far my favorite of 2014. Also time and time again Hans Zimmer proves he's a fucking beast composer. 

I liked Interstellar quite a bit, but it wasn't cut very well and I felt at times that it was cheaply emotional (evidenced by gratuitous reaction shots that cut abruptly into the next scene). I'm a huge sci-fi geek so it's not like I wanted it to suck or anything. 

Ya Snowpiercer was garbo on a hot stick of shit. I recently recorded Divergent off HBO, is it worth the 2 hours or should I just delete it from my DVR now?

I went in with pretty low expectations and found it some what entertaining. Worth a watch if you're not expecting much