CyReN

Film Discussion

Inherent Vice is hilarious. Also the worst movie to watch while violently inebriated. What a misstep that was. But everything made perfect sense this time around. PTA encompassed the heart and soul of Pynchon really well if you ask me. Joaquin was great, but Brolin was the real star.

Surprised by the lack of love for Nightcrawler from the Academy. I thought it was good enough to be a best picture contender and it definitely had the best acting performance of the year.

@@Squeak Kingsman was directed by Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class), so I would expect the action to be well shot and fairly violent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Watched American Sniper just now, not a bad movie, certainly not best picture worthy or best actor worthy. However, I think the movie could have been written a little bit better. Overall it was average.

Whiplash better win.

On Nightcrawler: just because you don't pick up on obvious clues the director is feeding you does NOT mean it's a twist. A twist is a twist if the writer and director intended it to be a fucking twist.

I wish Jade was my gf.

She seems so chill and game for anything. Love how she just shows up in scenes with Doc throughout without being mentioned.

Going to see Whiplash tomorrow, first of all the big 2014 award contender films I'll have seen. Really slacking lately

Will probably get around to watching a few more next week. Absolutely zero interest in American Sniper though. Gran Torino pretty much turned me off watching anything made by Clint Eastwood ever again

• Upvote (+1) 4

Going to see Whiplash tomorrow, first of all the big 2014 award contender films I'll have seen. Really slacking lately

Will probably get around to watching a few more next week. Absolutely zero interest in American Sniper though. Gran Torino pretty much turned me off watching anything made by Clint Eastwood ever again

you must be korean

• Upvote (+1) 5

Gran Torino was the last good film he made, lol. I gotta ask. What made you hate that film so much as to never watch another of his films?

I'm hoping you watched Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River before that...American Sniper isn't worth seeing but holy fuck those are.

OT: I'd import Jade.

• Downvote (-1) 2

She seems so chill and game for anything. Love how she just shows up in scenes with Doc throughout without being mentioned.

A very Pynchon character for sure. I wonder if she actually exists in the novel. I have seen some mixed reactions from those who have read it; some say it was a faithful attempt, others say it's not enough. Not sure when I will be able to make that decision for myself.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A very Pynchon character for sure. I wonder if she actually exists in the novel. I have seen some mixed reactions from those who have read it; some say it was a faithful attempt, others say it's not enough. Not sure when I will be able to make that decision for myself.

Speaking of Pynchon, everyone's been trying to find out where he was in the film since he was an extra

You're never going to get enough Pynchon on the screen for a certain group of fans, but as someone who has read a lot of his material I felt it was a great attempt at bringing his work to the screen. 

Also, an accidental neg, so I hugged your other posts. Gran Turino is terrible. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of Pynchon, everyone's been trying to find out where he was in the film since he was an extra

There are people obsessive enough to pick through all 2.5 hours highlighting every extra shown onscreen. I'm 50/50 on whether it is true or not that he is indeed in there as an extra, but I would not be surprised. If he is, I expect his face to be obscured, or even have his back turned or something.

You're never going to get enough Pynchon on the screen for a certain group of fans, but as someone who has read a lot of his material I felt it was a great attempt at bringing his work to the screen.

Also, an accidental neg, so I hugged your other posts. Gran Turino is terrible.

I know I definitely got the Pynchon feels throughout (The Crying of Lot 49 especially came to mind often), so I too felt as though PTA did Pynchon as much justice as can be done without making a 3+ hour long film. I thought the transitioning into character introductions and creating the sprawling web of links were done very well. Even minor things such as the involvement of the television programs randomly, especially having Bigfoot worked in, was very Pynchon. Pynchon magic = successfully captured.

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to watch it a 3rd time just for the off chance of spotting Pynchon.

Whiplash better win.

On Nightcrawler: just because you don't pick up on obvious clues the director is feeding you does NOT mean it's a twist. A twist is a twist if the writer and director intended it to be a fucking twist.

Whiplash isn't winning BP. It really is a 3-team race of American Sniper (wtf), Birdman (last 3 Oscar winners were films about the industry) or Boyhood (doubtful, but has been getting awards/noms throughout this awards season).

Nightcrawler: I wouldn't say it's a twist, but more of an "OH SHIT" moment.

@@Th3CodeMan Kingsman is a lot of fun and yes it's very violent.

@@Synyster I don't agree with it, but the Academy is filled with a lot of old conservative white men who voted enough to get the film filled with all these nominations.

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to watch it a 3rd time just for the off chance of spotting Pynchon.

Whiplash isn't winning BP. It really is a 3-team race of American Sniper (wtf), Birdman (last 3 Oscar winners were films about the industry) or Boyhood (doubtful, but has been getting awards/noms throughout this awards season).

Nightcrawler: I wouldn't say it's a twist, but more of an "OH SHIT" moment.

@@Th3CodeMan Kingsman is a lot of fun and yes it's very violent.

Why? Did I miss something when I watched it? 

Just watched "John Wich" .. Well worth a watch   :halo:

I actually just finished it too, it felt like a Jason Statham movie

Gonna check out Big Eyes later tonight