CyReN

Film Discussion

@

I loved how there was no hesitation, he just shot people and the double tap to the heads were awesome. I also really like the whole coin thing, and getting a dinner reservation.

@@Synyster The world-building in the film is really cool and makes you want to revisit the world of hitmen and assassins, especially The Continental.

@@Synyster The world-building in the film is really cool and makes you want to revisit the world of hitmen and assassins, especially The Continental.

Taking away the few lame fight scenes and below average acting, this movie could have great instead of just meh.

Makes me want to have a small hidden room with a box full of school things like guns and coins n shit.

Now I want to get some fancy coins for my close friends that we'll do nothing with, ha.

Taking away the few lame fight scenes and below average acting, this movie could have great instead of just meh.

Makes me want to have a small hidden room with a box full of school things like guns and coins n shit.

Now I want to get some fancy coins for my close friends that we'll do nothing with, ha.

Few lame fight scenes?! *gasp* I think the one at the very end was unnecessary but it has some of the best framed action scenes in recent American cinema. You can understand where everyone is at, the cohesion, very little cuts.

Keanu knows...gun-fu. He deserves a resurgence, his life is mired with tragedy. :(

Few lame fight scenes?! *gasp* I think the one at the very end was unnecessary but it has some of the best framed action scenes in recent American cinema. You can understand where everyone is at, the cohesion, very little cuts.

Keanu knows...gun-fu. He deserves a resurgence, his life is mired with tragedy. :(

Re-watch the film, a lot of the up close fist fights were way too choreographed and not realistic. Other wise, a lot of the fight scenes were great, they were using actual BJJ which was awesome to see and I'd say almost all of the gun scenes were on point.

Wild screener is available.

@@Synyster I respectfully disagree, but yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the gunplay. Also appreciated that they had a lot of "Hey it's that guy!" actors in the film in minor roles. I'm expecting a sequel with Nicolas Cage as the main villain.

Wild screener is available.

@@Synyster I respectfully disagree, but yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the gunplay. Also appreciated that they had a lot of "Hey it's that guy!" actors in the film in minor roles. I'm expecting a sequel with Nicolas Cage as the main villain.

Finally!!! Thank you.

Speaking of realistic gunplay > gun-fu? I HIGHLY disagree. A movie with Keanu needs gun fu.

@@Reason

Wild 66/100

American Sniper with too much love, Lego Movie snubbed hard, yay at IDA getting a best cinematography nom

Oscar nominations

Here's the full list of nominees for those who want to avoid the site.

Best Picture

• American Sniper
  • Birdman
  • Boyhood
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • The Imitation Game
  • Selma
  • The Theory of Everything
  • Whiplash

Best Director

• Alejandro G. Iñárritu - Birdman
  • Richard Linklater - Boyhood
  • Bennet Miller - Foxcatcher
  • Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Morten Tyldum - The Imitation Game

Best Actor

• Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
  • Bradley Cooper - American Sniper
  • Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game
  • Michael Keaton - Birdman
  • Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything

Best Actress

• Marion Cotillard - Two Days, One Night
  • Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
  • Julianne Moore - Still Alice
  • Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
  • Reese Witherspoon - Wild

Best Supporting Actor

• Robert Duvall - The Judge
  • Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
  • Edward Norton - Birdman
  • Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
  • J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

Best Supporting Actress

• Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
  • Laura Dern - Wild
  • Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
  • Emma Stone - Birdman
  • Meryl Streep - Into the Woods

Best Original Screenplay

• Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo - Birdman
  • Richard Linklater - Boyhood
  • E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman - Foxcatcher
  • Wes Anderson & Hugo Guinness - The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Dan Gilroy - Nightcrawler

Best Adapted Screenplay

• Jason Hall - American Sniper
  • Graham Moore - The Imitation Game
  • Paul Thomas Anderson - Inherent Vice
  • Anthony McMarten - The Theory of Everything
  • Damien Chazelle - Whiplash

Best Animated Feature

• Big Hero 6
  • The Boxtrolls
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2
  • Song of the Sea
  • The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Best Documentary Feature

• CitizenFour
  • Finding Vivian Maier
  • Last Days in Vietnam
  • The Salt of the Earth
  • Virunga

Best Foreign Language Film

• Ida
  • Leviathan
  • Tangerines
  • Timbuktu
  • Wild Tales

Best Original Score

• Alexandre Desplat - The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Alexandre Desplat - The Imitation Game
  • Hans Zimmer - Interstellar
  • Gary Yershon - Mr. Turner
  • Jóhann Jóhannsson - The Theory of Everything

Best Original Song

• “Glory” by Common and John Legend - Selma
  • “Lost Stars” by Gregg Alexander, Danielle Brisebois, Nick Lashley and Nick Southwood - Begin Again
  • “Everything Is Awesome” by Shawn Patterson - The LEGO Movie
  • “I’m Not Gonna Miss You,” by Glen Campbell - Glenn Campbell: I’ll Be Me
  • “Grateful,” by Rita Ora - Beyond the Lights

Best Cinematography

• Emmanuel Lubezki- Birdman
  • Robert Yeoman - The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski- Ida
  • Dick Pope - Mr. Turner
  • Roger Deakins - Unbroken

Best Film Editing

• American Sniper
  • Boyhood
  • The Imitation Game
  • Whiplash

Best Sound Editing

• American Sniper
  • Birdman
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
  • Interstellar
  • Unbroken

Best Sound Mixing

• American Sniper
  • Birdman
  • Interstellar
  • Unbroken
  • Whiplash

Best Visual Effects

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Interstellar
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past

Best Costume Design

• Inherent Vice
  • Into the Woods
  • Maleficent
  • Mr. Turner

Makeup and Hairstyling

• Foxcatcher
  • Guardians of the Galaxy

Best Production Design

• Into the Woods
  • Interstellar
  • The Imitation Game
  • Mr. Turner

Best Documentary Short Subject

• Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
  • Joanna
  • Our Curse
  • The Reaper
  • White Earth

Best Live Action Short Film

• Aya
  • Boogaloo and Graham
  • Butter Lamp (La Lampe au Beurre de Yak)
  • Parvaneh
  • The Phone Call

Best Animated Short Film

• Feast
  • The Bigger Picture
  • A Single Life
  • The Dam Keeper
  • Me and My Moulton

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but I thought Nightcrawler and Foxcatcher were just ok. Didn't really pull me in, even though I liked all the actors involved.

Just watched Nightcrawler. I liked it but I thought there was going to be some crazy twist at the end. 

Gyllenhaal not even nominated for best actor? I also think that Gone Girl or Nightcrawler could have gone over American Sniper for best picture.

Hoping that Birdman and Whiplash sweep the show.

Just watched Nightcrawler. I liked it but I thought there was going to be some crazy twist at the end. 

what about the big twist at the end?? 

Gyllenhaal not even nominated for best actor? I also think that Gone Girl or Nightcrawler could have gone over American Sniper for best picture.

Hoping that Birdman and Whiplash sweep the show.

That's what I'm saying! Gyllenhaal was fantastic in Nightcrawler. 

LOL at American Sniper being in there so many times, someone's getting paid off. 

What do you think of the state of movies today? Do you feel like the complaints about American filmmaking being nothing but superhero movies. . .

Ah, that's such a fucking crock of shit. I can't remember a year in recent memory where there were less complaints about the quality of movies. And what's wrong with superhero movies, you know? I don't know. You're talking to someone that enjoys watching those films. People need to get a life if they're having that discussion [laughs]. Those movies get a bad rap.

@@Synyster not really a twist when it comes to that character's progression for wanting the best footage worth shooting. He was a sociopath from the start.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nightcrawler

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I did not see the way he killed his partner with last major crash scene coming, at all. That to me was the huge twist in the end.

Nightcrawler

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I did not see the way he killed his partner with last major crash scene coming, at all. That to me was the huge twist in the end.

That really wasn't that big of a twist. It just amplified him being a huge sociopath. You also could see it coming from a mile away.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nightcrawler

He lied to his partner about the suspect being dead after the car flipped over and then the suspect shot him. Not a twist *IMO) after the partner tried to blackmail him prior to the car chase for knowing that Gyllenhaal lied to the police; he also demanded a better raise.

and what @@Squeak said

• Upvote (+1) 2

I didn't see it coming, so, I saw it as a twist. I had an idea things would get worse for his partner after the money altercation but I didn't see it coming the way he did die. I mean, the guy still being alive, basically baiting him into the shot and then getting the whole thing on film, like what?

Talking about now though doesn't seem so surprising after you take into account everything else he'd done before that.  

Nightcrawler

I didn't see him doing that either, but I could clearly see he was getting fed up with the guy. That quote "Its not that I don't understand people, I just don't like them" did it for me. Sure it was surprising, but its not like it was this major plot twist. That's all I'm saying

• Upvote (+1) 3

As long as Whiplash wins and American Snipers gets 1 Oscar (anything but BP) at most I'll be happy.

As long as Whiplash wins and American Snipers gets 1 Oscar (anything but BP) at most I'll be happy.

American Sniper should get negative Oscars. 

• Upvote (+1) 1