CyReN

Film Discussion

Star Wars IX Teaser:

it really was

after second viewing ill put my thoughts here but so far im just blown away and totally overwhelmed with emotion

• Upvote (+1) 1

Loved it.   Just got home from a 3 hour cinematic journey into heaven.  Now, I am about to hit play on the GOT episode that carries the longest, most epic battle scene in movie history. What a time to be alive!

Internet: "Wow Sonic looks bad!"

Also internet: "Wow Detective Pikachu looks unironically awesome!"

They should just cancel the sonic movie entirely.

They should cancel all video game movies. They are always terrible.

• Salt (-1) 1

Warcraft and Silent Hill aren't terrible. Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy and the most recent Tomb Raider are the best.

Mortal Kombat & Pokemon are just awesome to watch as a fan.

Anyone seen the new Godzilla? Shit's awesome. As a fan of the entire franchise I was suprised by the amount of callbacks to previous movies.

• Like (+1) 1

I just watched detective Pikachu and Broly recently.

The former was a solid flick but Broly was crazy (minus the minor retcons to bardock).

I honestly didn't even know this thread existed, I almost never venture into the off topic section. I love talking about movies and television. I'm curios to know what peoples top 10 films are. 

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, Hully said:

I honestly didn't even know this thread existed, I almost never venture into the off topic section. I love talking about movies and television. I'm curios to know what peoples top 10 films are. 

That's a lot of work for me, but I can give you my favorite films from 2015 onwards (that's when I started working at a movie theatre and started really watching movies a lot):

2015: Green Room. I didn't see Ex Machina in theatre since that was before I started, that might have taken the cake if I did. I don't think it's the best film of the year, per say, but I found the conflict fun and how the situation was more or less grounded. Great performance from Anton Yelchin, RIP.

2016: Manchester by the Sea. Moonlight was great that year too, but Manchester would be my pick for Best Picture. Fantastic performances from Casey Afflec, Lucas Hedges, and Michelle Williams really tell the story of how to live life when have to face a tragic past.

2017: A Ghost Story. Definitely not for everyone: it's very slow paced and thin on plot. I'm not sure why, but even though I could easily see people conceiving this as overly artsty (there's a full five minute scene of Rooney Mara eating pie that I think most would be the most boring scene in cinema but one that was actually my favorite scene that year) the visuals, pacing, and camera work created for me something that made me think with enough substance for me to keep chewing on those thoughts for some time.

2018: The Favourite. Roma was a great film that year, but gotta give my Best Picture vote that year to Favourite. Fantastic performances from Colman, Stone, and Weiss throughout the whole film with the writer/director Lanthimos seemliessly transitioning the reversal between two characters' roles as protagonist/antagonist. Super funny with plenty of meat on the bones for the dramatic bits.

Plenty to go for this year still (haven't had a chance to see any of the award favorites that are starting to release), but my first half pick would be Midosmmar. Beautiflly crafted psychological film with plenty of fantastic visuallys and enough time given to fully develop character relationships and their shifts over the course of the story.

What movies have you enjoyed in the past five years?

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

That's a lot of work for me, but I can give you my favorite films from 2015 onwards (that's when I started working at a movie theatre and started really watching movies a lot):

2015: Green Room. I didn't see Ex Machina in theatre since that was before I started, that might have taken the cake if I did. I don't think it's the best film of the year, per say, but I found the conflict fun and how the situation was more or less grounded. Great performance from Anton Yelchin, RIP.

2016: Manchester by the Sea. Moonlight was great that year too, but Manchester would be my pick for Best Picture. Fantastic performances from Casey Afflec, Lucas Hedges, and Michelle Williams really tell the story of how to live life when have to face a tragic past.

2017: A Ghost Story. Definitely not for everyone: it's very slow paced and thin on plot. I'm not sure why, but even though I could easily see people conceiving this as overly artsty (there's a full five minute scene of Rooney Mara eating pie that I think most would be the most boring scene in cinema but one that was actually my favorite scene that year) the visuals, pacing, and camera work created for me something that made me think with enough substance for me to keep chewing on those thoughts for some time.

2018: The Favourite. Roma was a great film that year, but gotta give my Best Picture vote that year to Favourite. Fantastic performances from Colman, Stone, and Weiss throughout the whole film with the writer/director Lanthimos seemliessly transitioning the reversal between two characters' roles as protagonist/antagonist. Super funny with plenty of meat on the bones for the dramatic bits.

Plenty to go for this year still (haven't had a chance to see any of the award favorites that are starting to release), but my first half pick would be Midosmmar. Beautiflly crafted psychological film with plenty of fantastic visuallys and enough time given to fully develop character relationships and their shifts over the course of the story.

What movies have you enjoyed in the past five years?

Here's my kind of unofficial list. 

https://letterboxd.com/hully14/list/my-favorites/

Literally everything you listed except for The Favourite is on my watchlist, and The Favourite isn't on there only because I've seen it, loved it, and is in my favorites list. 

On 11/8/2019 at 7:52 PM, Hully said:

Thread's dead, my dude, but best of luck to those of ya who remain.