CyReN

Film Discussion

just order it VOD numb nuts.

it was fucking amazing fwiw btw

wait where can i order it? need a more in detail review also

• Upvote (+1) 1

wait where can i order it? need a more in detail review also

https://www.amazon.com/Mandy-Nicolas-Cage/dp/B07H7YSGGL/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537153327&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=mandy+2018&dpPl=1&dpID=51856-JRMiL&ref=plSrch

Mandy is a fucking trip man. it’s a cuckoo bananas cocktail that is equal parts Argento visual/sonic atmosphere & Evil Dead 2 camp w/ a splash of ayahuasca & garnished w/ two tabs of acid. the visual style is so extreme there is never a dull moment. which brings me to my next point: the pace & structure is going to challenge those who aren’t prepared for it. anyone who has seen Beyond the Black Rainbow will know what to expect. think Refn’s Only God Forgives & Valhalla Rising. some will write it off as laborious; others will accept it as deliberate.

presentation aside, it’s also clear in Nicolas’ performance that he actually gave a shit, maybe because he respected Cosmatos’ vision. even when he goes classic maniac it’s in total service to the film rather than just a random eccentric flourish. as a Nicolas addict who needs serious help, I don’t mind the latter because it breathes life into the otherwise lifeless garbage he’s been in throughout his career, but it’s always better when these outbursts feel like an organic product of the character’s situation.

• Upvote (+1) 4

watched Mandy again this weekend. holds up; it’s as amazing on the rewatch as it was the first time. definitely would recommend catching it in theatres if you’re fortunate enough to have a place that is screening it, but streaming it on VOD is fine too obviously.

Anyone get into Ozark on Netflix?

Started watching it yesterday and I'm hooked.

Jason Bateman is excellent in it imo.

doesn’t Bateman direct as well? i’ve heard good things, but I suck at committing to a series

From what I can tell, he only directed the first episode and maybe the second?

I think it's similar to other shows where they rotate directors...

ETA:  looks like Bateman was nominated for Best Actor (Golden Globes) for his role in the first season.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I’m on season two, it has the whole family man turned criminal thing going for it, but at times I feel like it just really wants to be breaking bad when it isn’t.