CyReN

Film Discussion

I was up late at like 2 or 3 am and I was about to go to bed, had just smoked and came back inside. They Live was just starting.... couldnt look away.... even tho the movie seemed like an awfully random B film I kept watching it, memorized, sensing something special. Sure enough I was right and it ended up developing into an awesome roller coaster ride of emotions and experiences -  enveloping all the senses and truly opening my eyes to the grimm reality of this world.

I knew I would never be the same after watching it and I wasnt...

Thank you Mr Carpenter for your films 

They are life changing 

lol can relate 

was like 13 or so when i caught this movie on amc or tcm (can't remember). tuned in at the scene where RRP puts on the glasses and sees the world for what it is in black and white. was such a dope aesthetic i kept watching. glad i did.

random ass shout-outs I've rewatched lately because I haven't seen shit in 2017 (first will probably be The Killing Of A Sacred Deer this weekend) 

Kontroll (2003), Tape (2001), Murmur of The Heart (1971), A Bittersweet Life (2005), Timecrimes (2007), Why Don't You Play In Hell (2013), Drowning By The Numbers (1988), Le Voyage En Douce (1980), Loves Exposure (2008), Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001)

• Upvote (+1) 2

It Comes at Night was really good. loved all the chiaroscuro interior shots of the house.

loved loved loved this movie. everyone i know was disappointed because they expected a monster flick (marketing team fooled us).

loved loved loved this movie. everyone i know was disappointed because they expected a monster flick (marketing team fooled us).

yet another case for why trailers fucking suck.

It Comes at Night was already an auto 5/10 at worst just a few minutes in because it didn’t have an expository news clip montage over the opening credits

• Upvote (+1) 2

Baby Driver was decent, but i thought it was a bit lifeless when held up in comparison to Edgar Wright’s other films. the characters were just so blah. well acted, but blah. action sequences were dope tho.

caught Blade Runner again last night. confirmed great. the settings/landscapes swallow you whole. the atmosphere is fucking palpable forreal. & the psychological detective mystery* narrative at the root of it all was so much more engaging than the og blade runner. the humanity vs artificial intelligence theme is explored further, but it doesn’t really ask questions that feel fresh, which is the only thing holding me back from MASTUHPIECE status rn. but i can’t wait to grab this shit on bluray so i can watch it again. & again. etcetera.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Baby Driver was decent, but i thought it was a bit lifeless when held up in comparison to Edgar Wright’s other films. the characters were just so blah. well acted, but blah. action sequences were dope tho.

caught Blade Runner again last night. confirmed great. the settings/landscapes swallow you whole. the atmosphere is fucking palpable forreal. & the crime thriller narrative at the root of it all was so much more engaging than the og blade runner. the humanity vs artificial intelligence theme is explored further, but it doesn’t really ask questions that feel fresh, which is the only thing holding me back from MASTUHPIECE status rn. but i can’t wait to grab this shit on bluray so i can watch it again. & again. etcetera.

Wanted to see Blade Runner again last week but it already got pushed out of my local AMC before Thor even came out

I think my favorite part of the improved narrative is wactching Godsling spend all movie thinking he's a special creation and the one, and by the time he finds out he's just another replicant with fake memories, it doesnt even matter anymore because of the journey he's gone through.

Ocean fight scene is awesome too. Sad that small minority of ultra-SJWs said 2049 was sexinst and misogynistic when Leto's was a fucking badass 

Wanted to see Blade Runner again last week but it already got pushed out of my local AMC before Thor even came out

I think my favorite part of the improved narrative is wactching Godsling spend all movie thinking he's a special creation and the one, and by the time he finds out he's just another replicant with fake memories, it doesnt even matter anymore because of the journey he's gone through.

Ocean fight scene is awesome too. Sad that small minority of ultra-SJWs said 2049 was sexinst and misogynistic when Leto's was a fucking badass

Dude the fucking Sea Wall scene is LITTTT. Sylvia Hoeks is bae.

"I'm the best one."

i stand by what i said. it goes deeper than the original, but it’s not like these are depths that haven’t already been explored. the philosophical subtext is also hindered (slightly, like so slightly, maybe not even a hinderence but just something i can’t help but be completely aware of) by being vaguely pondered throughout, hoping that the viewer will come to the film w/ the ideas. i don’t mind doing the work for the film, & so many movies that are my favorites ask me to do a lot of the work, but i can’t help but think back to Arrival which had complete command of the viewer imo

good thing about home media though is that it gives a person so much more time to work w/ a film! can’t wait to get that bluray. especially because i just started reading Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard

• Upvote (+1) 1

i stand by what i said. it goes deeper than the original, but it’s not like these are depths that haven’t already been explored. the philosophical subtext is also hindered (slightly, like so slightly, maybe not even a hinderence but just something i can’t help but be completely aware of) by being vaguely pondered throughout, hoping that the viewer will come to the film w/ the ideas. i don’t mind doing the work for the film, & so many movies that are my favorites ask me to do a lot of the work, but i can’t help but think back to Arrival which had complete command of the viewer imo

good thing about home media though is that it gives a person so much more time to work w/ a film! can’t wait to get that bluray. especially because i just started reading Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard

I agree with you overall, but I still think 2049 offered up a pretty compelling argument as to why life and consciousness are qualities determined by the person/thing in question and can't really be objectively decided by anyone else. Like if K and Joi existed in a vacuum without any interaction from the outside world, would their romance just cease to exist? I know Ex Machina recently explored similar things but idk, I liked the angle 2049 came at it a bit better

And as a tangent to that, I really can't praise the character of Joi enough. She's so obviously digital that she really humanizes Gosling by comparison. So for like half the film you're like "I wonder if she really can feel anything towards him", and then it clicks back in your brain again that he isn't even a person to begin with. It just blurs the lines even further in such a great way

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you haven't seen Wind River yet, do yourself a favor and check it out. It might just be my favorite film of 2017.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree with you overall, but I still think 2049 offered up a pretty compelling argument as to why life and consciousness are qualities determined by the person/thing in question and can't really be objectively decided by anyone else. Like if K and Joi existed in a vacuum without any interaction from the outside world, would their romance just cease to exist? I know Ex Machina recently explored similar things but idk, I liked the angle 2049 came at it a bit better

And as a tangent to that, I really can't praise the character of Joi enough. She's so obviously digital that she really humanizes Gosling by comparison. So for like half the film you're like "I wonder if she really can feel anything towards him", and then it clicks back in your brain again that he isn't even a person to begin with. It just blurs the lines even further in such a great way

pretty much agree w/ everything you’re saying here. i think joi serves a purpose greater than rachael in the original exactly because we know that K himself is a replicant. i’ve seen people criticize 2049 for giving too much screentime to the K/Joi relationship, but clearly they have no interest in the existential implications of the ways in which their relationship functions & the role it plays in building on the philosophy of both Blade Runner films. but that does go back to what i said previously in that this movie requires an active participation from the viewer in order to really reap the benefits of what is truly a ponderous film at its core.

not Blade Runner related:

Murder on the Oriental Express was fucking boring, but neither bad nor good. just kinda exists & is a thing.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer basically said to me “fuck you, come back in a few days to watch me again”. initial thoughts though: not as instantly great as Dogtooth or The Lobster, but the potential is there if given more time to develop in my mind

Logan was pretty damn solid. wasn’t totally blown away or anything, but it was a refreshing vision of the wolverine character, which has been dragged through the fucking mud at this point. it was way too fucking long though & i felt like there was some fat that could have been trimmed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lady Bird was great. loved it.

hoping to catch this tomorrow. pray for ya boi.

three billboards was great. rockwell/mcdormand is a helluva combo.

Edit: yup Lady Bird was the business. Maybe my second or third favorite film of the year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lady Bird is legit. Greta Gerwig shineeeeeeeeeeeeee

gonna catch The Disaster Artist and Three Billboards on Friday

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah Good Time is pretty awesome. Absolutely love its soundtrack and Robert Pattinson really does disappear into that role.