CyReN

Film Discussion

Finally got around to seeing Blade Runner and I fkn loved it. The last 20~ minutes were absolutely incredible 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Finishing my beer n walking into theatre in a minute to see Blade Runner... can't fkn wait.

ETA: God damn masterpiece. One of the most visually stunning movies Ive ever seen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

sleigh me daddy

Pretty weak trailer imo, it just looks really ordinary for a PTA film. And I hope it works out for him but the cinematography (at a glance) looks like very standard period piece fare :/

Going back over Blade Runner in my mind and it's really solidifying my opinion that Villeneuve is surely the most exciting "commercial" director out there. I genuinely don't think there is a single person out there that gives me more confidence when they get attached to a project than him. It's pretty much between him and Fincher for me

Of course I'm not including writer/directors like Coen bros, PTA, Wes Anderson etc., but even then I think he can hang with those names

• Upvote (+1) 1

watching trailers these days is ******** & a disservice to yourself. i’ll be steering well clear of any promotional material for Phantom Thread outside of posters or stills.

in other news, my MoviePass card came in last week & i’m finally putting it to use to see Blade Runner today.

• Upvote (+1) 2

PTA could make a movie about clipping your fingernails and I'd watch it

Im excited to see if DDL's supposed final film will live up to his prior work 

Blade Runner 2049 top 3 sequels of all time? it was pretty great.

It was honestly so good it changed my mood for like a week. Straight euphoria seeing that movie.

It's a shame it's making so little money. I'd be surprised if Dune didn't fall through as a result.

Also I was looking around at my Criticker rankings and noticed you don't have one for They Live. Have you not seen that yet? My dude, you've got to.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dune was a massive flop and I watch that movie every time it comes on TV. Box office just means good marketing and the right critics were paid off.

It was honestly so good it changed my mood for like a week. Straight euphoria seeing that movie.

It's a shame it's making so little money. I'd be surprised if Dune didn't fall through as a result.

Also I was looking around at my Criticker rankings and noticed you don't have one for They Live. Have you not seen that yet? My dude, you've got to.

i’ll definitely be catching it one more time in the theatre, but i need to move fast because the amount of showtimes per day has already dwindled down to just a few. really surprised/disappointed by the middling profits. it seemed to have a pretty strong ad campaign, idk. maybe it will get an extra push in sales post-theatre run if it gets Oscars attention.

have not seen They Live. will see They Live. in fact, i will watch it right now tomorrow.

also, just got back from IT & it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BORING

Apparently Phantom Thread is PTA's Fifty Shades of Grey and that DDL is supporting, not the main protagonist.

how was it boring to you

because the characters weren’t interesting & the film was janky as fuck whenever it had to leap around. also the “horror” was predictable & more often unintentionally funny than intentionally scary. i couldn’t help but lol every time pennywise did that dumb shaky run @ the camera. the soundtrack was also fucking awful. what in the fuck was that rock throwing scene? & what in the fuck was that score choice when the fat kid was running away from the bullies? & IT WAS TOO FUCKING LONG, christ. pacing & tonal issues all over the place. in comparison, Blade Runner 2049 flew by, whereas IT felt like a slog, despite BR2049 running 30min longer than IT. almost walked out since i wouldn’t have felt as though i lost any money if i had.

it didn’t help either that i just recently rewatched The VVitch which is forreal a modern horror—mwuah—MASTUHPIECE

• Upvote (+1) 1

watching trailers these days is ******** & a disservice to yourself. i’ll be steering well clear of any promotional material for Phantom Thread outside of posters or stills.

Yeah same here. If I'm already planning on seeing the film, like I am for Phantom Thread, then I really see no point in watching a trailer for it. Better to go into it knowing as little plot detail as possible.

i’ll definitely be catching it one more time in the theatre, but i need to move fast because the amount of showtimes per day has already dwindled down to just a few. really surprised/disappointed by the middling profits. it seemed to have a pretty strong ad campaign, idk. maybe it will get an extra push in sales post-theatre run if it gets Oscars attention.

have not seen They Live. will see They Live. in fact, i will watch it right now tomorrow.

also, just got back from IT & it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BORING

hahaha yeah It's pretty slow but i felt sufficiently creeped out by it. was effective for me. not a huge fan of clowns either so take this with a grain of salt i guess.

and yeah man there was an AMC near me that pulled it week two. And there were maybe 2-3 showings that weekend at the other theaters I like going to. Was pretty sad to see, but I made sure to catch it in IMAX as well. felt like i did my part lol. it's bittersweet to see something that resonates so deeply with me only for it to totally bomb. 

my dude did you watch They Live yet? 

watched it last night. it was fun, but i didn’t really love it. i was also really high on ketamine so take that for what it’s worth.

• Downvote (-1) 1

IT wasn't scary. i enjoyed the rich story telling, easily relatable characters and its majesty. i was also high on life at the time so take that for what it's worth

i finally watched THE BEGUILED and THE BIG SICK. top notch. i don't believe colin farrell gets enough credit