CyReN

Film Discussion

Nah Aronofsky is crazy. There's a lot to like about mother! but it gets a pretty cheesy in some of its attempts to be profound or mysterious.

idk man, i personally thought it was comprehensible over hamfisted or abstruse. & honestly, even if you ignore the allegorical nature of the film, the second half is still so much fucking fun. i can’t help but appreciate that Aronofsky was able to go completely off the fucking rails w/ reckless abandon in the second half while still being a slave to a (admittedly) mundane conceit.

at least mother! wasn’t as morally hollow as The Revenant (in regards to films that function as allegory over narrative), for sake of comparison.

• Upvote (+1) 2

idk man, i personally thought it was comprehensible over hamfisted or abstruse. & honestly, even if you ignore the allegorical nature of the film, the second half is still so much fucking fun. i can’t help but appreciate that Aronofsky was able to go completely off the fucking rails w/ reckless abandon in the second half while still being a slave to a (admittedly) mundane conceit.

yeah the end was really where it took off. it was like an hour and fifteen minutes of meh with forty five minutes of oh shit to top it off.

aside from the biblical allegories, i really think aronofsky is trying to pepper in the stereotypical struggle of being a writer and these themes push through a little too heavily.

the scene of javier and jlaw in his study when he tries to write but can't... i mean cmon son

also that eulogy he gave wasn't even good lol. though it worked out when they referenced a small portion of it later.

Edit: OH YOU JUST COULDNT LEAVE THE REVENANT OUT OF THIS HUH

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah the end was really where it took off. it was like an hour and fifteen minutes of meh with forty five minutes of oh shit to top it off.

aside from the biblical allegories, i really think aronofsky is trying to pepper in the stereotypical struggle of being a writer and these themes push through a little too heavily.

the scene of javier and jlaw in his study when he tries to write but can't... i mean cmon son

also that eulogy he gave wasn't even good lol. though it worked out when they referenced a small portion of it later.

Edit: OH YOU JUST COULDNT LEAVE THE REVENANT OUT OF THIS HUH

i’m not even that lukewarm on the first half, especially when the payoff is so yuge, but i get why it can feel a bit lopsided. i personally thought the film moved from like Cassavetes vibes, then to Buñuel vibes, & then finishes off w/ a type of absurd chaos that i don’t even really know how to define in regards to style & technique.

i get what you’re saying about the “a writer’s/creator’s struggle” trope...

...& i can’t really argue against it because it’s definitely one of the not-so-subtle subtleties, especially considering the whole “was working on a different film but then was struck w/ an idea so yuge Aronofsky wrote the screenplay in a few days” humble brag. so i’ll give you that one. Aronofsky may be smug af, adding more weight to your criticism here, but at least he’s not as insufferable as Iñárritu amiright? not to mention that mother!, despite being an easily decipherable allegory, is still malleable enough to fit into a bunch of different interpretations in conjunction to the intended conceit, as is evidenced by the interwebz. can’t say that about The Revenant! (why yes, i am dragging The Revevant into this because The Revenant is stupid)

at the end of the day mother! is a smooth 7/10 type of film for me, but i’m not naive to the idea that it could easily lose its flavor whenever i watch it again (ie Black Swan).

• Upvote (+1) 1

i’m not even that lukewarm on the first half, especially when the payoff is so yuge, but i get why it can feel a bit lopsided. i personally thought the film moved from like Cassavetes vibes, then to Buñuel vibes, & then finishes off w/ a type of absurd chaos that i don’t even really know how to define in regards to style & technique.

i get what you’re saying about the “a writer’s/creator’s struggle” trope...

...& i can’t really argue against it because it’s definitely one of the not-so-subtle subtleties, especially considering the whole “was working on a different film but then was struck w/ an idea so yuge Aronofsky wrote the screenplay in a few days” humble brag. so i’ll give you that one. Aronofsky may be smug af, adding more weight to your criticism here, but at least he’s not as insufferable as Iñárritu amiright? not to mention that mother!, despite being an easily decipherable allegory, is still malleable enough to fit into a bunch of different interpretations in conjunction to the intended conceit, as is evidenced by the interwebz. can’t say that about The Revenant! (why yes, i am dragging The Revevant into this because The Revenant is stupid)

at the end of the day mother! is a smooth 7/10 type of film for me, but i’m not naive to the idea that it could easily lose its flavor whenever i watch it again (ie Black Swan).

i might be a little too harsh on it. i do want to see it again but first i'm gonna see blade runner for the second time. moviepass is stupid value right now.

i was with you 100% until i got to where the bold ended and i actually lol'd. wasn't laughing at you, it was just a sudden jolt and you totally baited me.

the revenant is one of the illest revenge movies ever made. that's all it is. i don't care if inarritu did it by fucking accident, it's awesome. honestly can we count up how much screen time was "wasted" on all that abstract stuff? if it's too much then we'll make an Ender's Cut and just remove it all and you will see how goddamn good that movie is (for the most part). for now, i am giving the surrealism a pass until i read some good evidence or criticism that can prove it barely even meant anything.

also major YES to barton fink. the coens mock the shit out of barton fink with how they wrote him, but he's still so endearing and funny. really underrated performance from torturro. it's fun too because of that trademark coen tone, and you can never be sure with barton's thoughts on the "craft." are they the writers' or are they simply his?

• Upvote (+1) 2

more like the boringest revenge movie ever. on a technical level it’s obviously really well done, but that’s about it tbh. BORING & SOULLESS.

Barton Fink is literally the titties. i just had to slip that scene in because it’s so good & fit the narrative of our posts lol. i was also drunk. Barton Fink also has one of best minor characters ever in Jack Lipnick. his scenes are the fucking best. the scene w/ John Goodman running down the hallway w/ the pyrotechnics is also one of the funniest ever. as a rule Coen Bros movies are just so rich w/ characters

https://youtu.be/-55OifQFlFI

sometimes i’ll say A Serious Man is my favorite Coen Bros film just to be that guy, but really it’s Barton Fink whenever i’m being honest w/ myself.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i wouldn'[t be the first to agree that a serious man is deeply underappreciated. 

yo how about blade runner though:

A Serious Man is definitely underappreciated, probably because it doesn't have the big names and action like No Country for Old Men does which gets all the love. Honestly though my favorite coen bros film changes depending on the day.

Anyways, Blade Runner was sick.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Re-watched the original B.R. twice this weekend to freshen up on the story-line in anticipation for 2049.  I always forget how dark and subtle that movie is.  Dystopian genres might actually be the most enjoyable to watch for me for some reason...  children of men being my favorite movie of all time.

Also binging Hans Zimmer at work atm

• Upvote (+1) 3

Re-watched the original B.R. twice this weekend to freshen up on the story-line in anticipation for 2049.  I always forget how dark and subtle that movie is.  Dystopian genres might actually be the most enjoyable to watch for me for some reason...  children of men being my favorite movie of all time.

children of men is my #2 movie behind in bruges. so fucking good

• Upvote (+1) 2

children of men is my #2 movie behind in bruges. so fucking good

Children of Men is a great film. Wish Alfonso Cuaron got more recognition, thought it got Oscar nods. Its not my favorite film, but rather one of the more unique sci fi films I've seen. 

I first watched Blade Runner three or four years ago in a college class. It wasn't that great at first. Might be because it wasn't the Final Cut - one of the good versions. However, Denis Villeneuve's sequel looks GOOOD. 

not comparing blade runner 2049 to the original, watching the anime short films and enjoying it as its own thing and not a sequel made it a damn brilliant film

even comparing it to the original, it's a great film. gonna be a sweet double feature thing in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 1

the snowman getting shit on is depressing me

I'm with Ender on Mother!, had such a fun time watching it

I thought most of the allusions to the bible and us destroying the earth were handled pretty well. There were a few things (rioters vs police, oppressed women in cages) that felt a little on the nose, but that whole section was such a whirlwind that I understand the decision to drive home the imagery rather than breeze by it for the sake of someone rewatching and rewinding it trying to catch everything. It didn't really need to be subtle

A couple of other things:

The fucking baby killing sequence was honestly one of the most surprising and insane things I've ever seen in a film. Like everything before that was chaos but it was like a rollercoaster sort of chaos. That shit just brought a halt to the whole thing and then it went even further with the baby eating, then just kept going by having JLaw slice up about 5 people and then further still by having that Irreversible-esque one shot of her face getting pummeled. Crazy

Aronofsky absolutely nailed the nightmare feeling where nothing you do or say has any affect on anyone or anything. The way people sort of react to her pleas but also sort of ignore her just evokes that feeling in me so much. Like you're running underwater or you're throwing punches but they never land

• Upvote (+1) 2

Criterion Flash Sale was yesterday. Bought:

• The Complete Jacques Tati box set
  • The Complete Lady Snowblood (Lady SnowbloodLove Song of Vengeance)
  • The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
  • Downhill Racer (1969)
  • McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
  • Day for Night (1973)

and finally my Barry Lyndon Criterion arrived.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Criterion Flash Sale was yesterday. Bought:

• The Complete Jacques Tati box set
  • The Complete Lady Snowblood (Lady Snowblood & Love Song of Vengeance)
  • The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
  • Downhill Racer (1969)
  • McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
  • Day for Night (1973)
and finally my Barry Lyndon Criterion arrived.
The Innocents (1961)

L’argent (1983)

Tampopo (1985)

Black Girl (1966)

Meantime (1984)

first time in a long time I was able to take advantage of a Criterion sale. really wanted Eyes Without a Face, but I was too slow.

I'm with Ender on Mother!, had such a fun time watching it

I thought most of the allusions to the bible and us destroying the earth were handled pretty well. There were a few things (rioters vs police, oppressed women in cages) that felt a little on the nose, but that whole section was such a whirlwind that I understand the decision to drive home the imagery rather than breeze by it for the sake of someone rewatching and rewinding it trying to catch everything. It didn't really need to be subtle

A couple of other things:

The fucking baby killing sequence was honestly one of the most surprising and insane things I've ever seen in a film. Like everything before that was chaos but it was like a rollercoaster sort of chaos. That shit just brought a halt to the whole thing and then it went even further with the baby eating, then just kept going by having JLaw slice up about 5 people and then further still by having that Irreversible-esque one shot of her face getting pummeled. Crazy

Aronofsky absolutely nailed the nightmare feeling where nothing you do or say has any affect on anyone or anything. The way people sort of react to her pleas but also sort of ignore her just evokes that feeling in me so much. Like you're running underwater or you're throwing punches but they never land

us > prox
  • Upvote (+1) 3

oh yeah, i also finally bought a region-free bluray player so i could buy the complete Roy Andersson boxset & some Peter Greenaway blurays

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is so good. My favorite Altman and one of my favorite movies in general. The look of the film along with the scenery of the Washington town and Leonard Cohen music make for a great viewing. The bridge scene with the cowboy gets me everytime.

us > prox

:weback:

foreigner was pretty fun. nice to see my main man chan still moving around like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1