CyReN

Film Discussion

Even though Moonlight 100% deserved Best Picture this year, I can't help but feel like there is definitely some #OscarsSoWhite damage control at work here because I'm a cynical curmudgeon at heart. The entire ceremony was really fucking awkward tbh, so that botched announcement at the end was just the cherry on top lol. But still, good for Moonlight. It will stand the test of time more than La La Land ever will.

go to barry jenkins' twitter. the pinned tweet is a link to his student film. peep that. it's really, really good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

go to barry jenkins' twitter. the pinned tweet is a link to his student film. peep that. it's really, really good.

will do. Did you watch his feature on Criterion about the influence of Kar-wai Wong?

will do. Did you watch his feature on Criterion about the influence of Kar-wai Wong?

Yeah. Just wished he spoke more on Fallen Angels than Chungking Express but whateva. Dude's cool.

Yeah. Just wished he spoke more on Fallen Angels than Chungking Express but whateva. Dude's cool.

Same, but it was a Criterion feature after all, & they haven't been able to acquire rights for Fallen Angels, so I wasn't too surprised.

Can't wait to see what Jenkins cooks up next. Hollywood is starting to get exciting again w/ a lot of talented new & young directors emerging onto the scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Same, but it was a Criterion feature after all, & they haven't been able to acquire rights for Fallen Angels, so I wasn't too surprised.

Can't wait to see what Jenkins cooks up next. Hollywood is starting to get exciting again w/ a lot of talented new & young directors emerging onto the scene.

I still need to see Moonlight :( Thinking about just renting it on Amazon Prime. It's a little premature to say I'm excited about him since I haven't seen it, but I like his general attitude. Great insight from him can be found on the most recent THR Directors' Roundtable. 

And is that why Fallen Angels isn't in the collection? I always thought it was because they just don't think it's good enough. 

Speaking of both of those people, I watched Chungking Express + In the Mood for Love last week, and then finally saw Moonlight last night.

Loved Chungking, and even though ITMFL didn't click with me quite as much (I had to watch it in parts because I was wrecked and fell asleep the first time), I think I'd actually prefer it between the two with a rewatch.

For me though Moonlight > both of them. The last 20~ minutes in particular had the weirdest intensity to them that just had me absolutely enthralled.

Stopped watching La La Land when Ryan Gosling said "jazz is dying, jazz is dying"  and gave that annoying little speech as if he were a car salesman or infomercial star.  that white bread sense of passion, it was short sighted and completely inaccurate. what a joke, it never died and its not dying...  He then goes on to say Jazz is all about the past, lol. Yeah because wed still be listening to swing if that was the case. One foot in the past one foot in the present.

No wonder this film didnt win. 

and why on earth would you make a film about jazz music and make the main characters be Caucasian? The creators of jazz are African american, the innovators are mostly black, and the greats are black. makes 0 sense. Same with whiplash, where is the fucking color? and how did this win so many awards? 

Stopped watching La La Land when Ryan Gosling said "jazz is dying, jazz is dying"  and gave that annoying little speech as if he were a car salesman or infomercial star.  that white bread sense of passion, it was short sighted and completely inaccurate. what a joke, it never died and its not dying...  He then goes on to say Jazz is all about the past, lol. Yeah because wed still be listening to swing if that was the case. One foot in the past one foot in the present.

Now if only the film called him out on his rhetoric and had a character basically tell him that instead of romanticizing the innovators, he should actually innovate aswell. But tbf that would require actually paying attention, lol!

• Upvote (+1) 2

moonlight wasn't even one of the top 3 films nominated

fight me

moonlight wasn't even one of the top 3 films nominated

fight me

Wow go back to the westboro baptist chuch 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just watched Manchester by the Sea. It was a nice slice-of-life movie. The acting was great and I liked how "real" the movie felt. For instance, dumb little mistakes happen that you rarely see happen on film. Like them not finding their car even though it doesn't progress the plot in any shape or form, the awkwardness after conversations because both of them don't know what to say even if the conversation doesn't have a lot of weight to it, the stretcher not working properly when being put in the ambulance. I know pointing that out is kind of weird but I find it annoying when everything seems to happen perfectly in a movie with little awkwardness unless the awkwardness advances the plot or is a personality trait. It was a refreshing film.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're changing the name of the Major's character in Ghost In The Shell to..."Mira". 

Yep. I knew there was a reason I was going to not see this movie. 

artistic license i can handle sometimes but dont fuck with literature like that unless its going to be a totally different character and story

• Downvote (-1) 2

Saw Kong Skull Island last night.   It was pretty good.  It has some cheese, but nothing so cringy it hindered the movie.  I'd put it on par with the latest independence day. Great visual effects, decent story, decent acting, and the occasional cheese/ I'm getting older.   

One part that particularly ticked me off was the over-familiarity and clichéity of the soundtrack.   The movie is set in the Vietnam war era and it's like they picked all the most famous songs from all the famous Vietnam movies and threw them in there.  Just felt a little unoriginal.  They also had the soldiers play an Ozzy Osbourne song on their helicopter stereo that didn't even released till over a decade later, and then made a todo about how great the music of the time was. Kinda silly. 

I'd put it on par with the latest independence day.

so what you're trying to tell me is that Kong: Skull Island is one of the worst films in the last decade? Noted.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

so what you're trying to tell me is that Kong: Skull Island is one of the worst films in the last decade? Noted.

If you are a movie snob, I suppose.  I see basically most the movies that come out.  I enjoyed it.  I also knew what I was getting myself into.  i.e. Typical action movie...

It was just a fun movie.  I didn't take it super serious. Nor should it be. 

Also, if you think the latest independence day was one of the worst movies of the decade, you missed a lot of really bad movies....  Or just went into seeing it with naive expectations.  

You don't have to be a movie snob to know Independance Day: Resurgence is trash (i mean fuck bruh, that subtitle alone tells you all you need to know about this garbage), you just need to not be a movie dipshit

Nine Lives was better than ID:R, come @ me muhtha fuhcka

• Upvote (+1) 2

Independence Day 2 played like the most focus-tested movie I've ever seen. Shit had no soul.

But I saw Everybody Wants Some!! and that was great. Classic Linklater.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Brie Larson alone makes Kong exponentially better than that Indepence Day failure

Brie Larson alone makes Kong exponentially better than that Indepence Day failure

her, kong and john c reilly were key. i enjoyed it. id2 was a dumpster fire

• Downvote (-1) 1

What did you guys think of Passengers? I thought it was pretty okay!