CyReN

Film Discussion

What films are everyone looking forward to the most for this year?

I'd probably go with something like:

1) Blade Runner 2049

2) Star Wars Episode VIII

3) PTA and Daniel Day-Lewis 50s Fashion Film

4) Kathryn Bigelow Detroit Riots Film

5) Wind River

6) Dunkirk

7) The Dark Tower

8) The Shape of Water

9) Suburbicon

10) Logan

The Dark Tower

the-dark-tower-matthew-mcconaughey-idris
Blade Runner 2049
Alien: Covenant
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
The Founder
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Beauty and the Beast
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Star Wars Episode VIII 

War for Planet of the Apes

3B39E95F00000578-4019100-image-a-23_1481
Under the Silver Lake
John Wick Chapter 2
Logan

Life
Power Rangers
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Kingsman The Golden Circle
Thor Ragnarok
Baywatch
NE7u6suehSMfaa_4_b.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

What films are everyone looking forward to the most for this year?

Fifty Shades Darker and Jeeper Creepers 3

1. PTA's 50s Fashion Drama with DDL

Episode VIII

Alex Garland's Annihilation (the novel is eerie lovecraftian sci-fi horror and its a great slowburn)

Soderbergh's first film since "retiring", Logan Lucky

Tomas Alfredson's The Snowman (Fassbender, Val Kilmer + Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is amazing)

Edgar Wright's Baby Driver

Sorkin's Molly's Game

James Gray's The Lost City of Z

Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049

Taika Waititi's Thor: Ragnarok

Dundirk

Bong Joon-ho's Okja

GDT's Shape of Water

Arronofsky's Mother

Armando Iannucci's The Death of Stalin (for all you In the Loop fans)

Yorgos Lanthimos' The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled

Steve McQueen's Widows (may not make it by this year tho)

Todd Haynes' Wonderstruck (shot half the film with deaf actors, so 50% silent film)

Luc Besson's Valerian

Duncan Jones' Mute (Paul Rudd plays someone named Cactus Bill!)

Malick's Song on Song

Martin McDonagh's Three Billboards

David Robert Mitchell's Under the Silver Lake, his noir and followup to It Follows

Guardians Vol 2

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halfway through Stoker and it honestly feels like some weird hybrid between Hitchcock and Edgar Wright....so strange

Rewatched Mad Max too. Still great, obvz

• Upvote (+1) 1

La la land was one of the best films I've ever seen. Probably reactionary, but idc fight me

Sausage Party was shit. It was another case of "we'll put every funny moment in the trailers." I think I laughed out loud once in that whole movie and I don't even remember what it was. Good idea for a movie but the wrong people did it.

it was a 90min long gimmick that opted for the cheapest jokes for the cheapest laughs. animated food items using naughty language isn't going to make me laugh, but this is what 85% of the script relies on for laughs. unfortunately, this is enough for a lot of people because most of the people i know who saw it thought it was hilarious.

CIVIL WAR?

:weback:

Also, Tokyo Drifter is fucking great. The color palette seemed way more akin for a musical, but I loved it.

obviously just a testament to how weak my 2016 has been. jk it was really fun. best mcu films so far despite its faults

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - hilarious, sad, touching, charming, well shot, well acted. Sam Neill was great & i was really invested in his character arc even tho the endgame is predictable. knowing where the arc is going to end is a moot point when the path to get there is executed well. the lady who played the child welfare services officer was absolutely hilarious & she stole the show whenever she had screen time. i really liked What We Do in the Shadows, but i thought this one was even better because it had the laughs, but it also had the feels, man. i'll be curious to see how much freedom Taika Waititi was given as a filmmaker for Thor: Ragnarok. i haven't seen any of the Thor movies, but i'll prob see this one just because Waititi. 75/100

Hardcore Henry - this totally surprised me tbh. i didn't expect it to be as funny as it was. the narrative is shallow & repetitive, but by the same token, most FPS storylines are exactly the same way. most of the repetitions in the narrative read more as a parody of FPS campaign cliches than it did lazy writing, but at the same time it makes it near impossible to get invested in the story or characters. a majority of the action sequences looked phenomenal & Sharlto Copley was fantastic (his character was the glue that held this film together tbh). is it a gimmick? yes. is it a lot of fun? yes, because even a gimmick can be executed well, & i'd say that was the case w/ Hardcore Henry. 62/100

Nine Lives - yeah. whatever. justletmediealready/100

Weiner - it was fascinating having a voyeuristic look into the private (versus public) sphere of a modern day political scandal & the collateral damage it incurs as it unfolds. this is the type of documentary that relies solely on the story & characters to sustain itself, & fortunately both are compelling in the case of Weiner, making it a must-see documentary for anyone who likes character studies in their cups of nonfiction filmmaking. 72/100

going to get drunk & watch Gods of Egypt later tonight. can't wait.

• Upvote (+1) 2

gods of egypt was terrible what are you talking about

• Upvote (+1) 1

you cannot love someone who is incapable of receiving it. 

tolerate would be a better word

or ignore 

La la land was one of the best films I've ever seen. Probably reactionary, but idc fight me

Since when did you start smoking weed?